The Quick/Small/(Stupid?) Question Thread.

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

space
Roadster Fanatic

Re: The Quick/Small/(Stupid?) Question Thread.

Post by space »

i glued mine in
weatherstrip
AC77
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by AC77 »

Not sure if my question is small or stupid, maybe both. MY front right (passenger side) brake squeals when in motion, but will stop as soon as I tap on the brakes or apply them. My mechanic checked my brakes all the way around and said I have 50% or better on all tires. Ideas?

Thanks,
Adam
Adam C
1967 Datsun Roadster 1600, "Ivy" Registry | Photos
--
1964.5 Ford Mustang Coupe
1972 Chevy Luv
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

I would check to see if the front pads slide easily into the calipers, if not, they could be hanging and squealing. If they are tight, sand down the sides of the metal backing plate until they drop in smoothly.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
Curtis
Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Curtis »

Anyone here know anything about assembling the idler box? I figure screw the shaft all the way down and then back it off one turn since the arm can only turn a little each way.
66 stroker, almost done.
67 basket case, paint coming soon.
Mainer311
Roadsteraholic

Post by Mainer311 »

Curtis wrote:Anyone here know anything about assembling the idler box? I figure screw the shaft all the way down and then back it off one turn since the arm can only turn a little each way.
No. The seal on the bottom of the box is meant to be slightly compressed by the pitman arm. It actually has a little bit of "give" built into it for that reason. You need to adjust the depth of the shaft such that the pitman arm is always contacting the base of the seal. It will obviously get looser or tighter, depending on direction of rotation. You need to find the sweet spot. It took me a couple times to get it right. My pitman arm can be indexed in 90 degree increments to fine tune it's location relative to the threads. YMMV.

Picture is from Dean's website, highlighting the compression surface.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jordan
1968 SPL311-21773. Needs paint and some upholstery.
2012 Xterra Pro-4X, 4" lift on 34's, UCA's, pre-runner bumper. Member of the New England Xterra Off-road club.
1971 PL521, Dragon green. Stock L16 w/ 4 speed, lowered 3".
Mainer311
Roadsteraholic

Post by Mainer311 »

Curtis wrote:Question about rear axle seal. Datsun changed from a two piece to this one piece completely enclosed in rubber. Does it still need a gasket like the two piece or just some sealer?
I just replaced mine this past winter, and didn't bother putting anything behind it. Due to it being overmolded like you said, I felt the rubbery surface on the back was suitable.
Jordan
2012 Xterra Pro-4X, 4" lift on 34's, UCA's, pre-runner bumper. Member of the New England Xterra Off-road club.
Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

Mainer311 wrote:
Curtis wrote:Anyone here know anything about assembling the idler box? I figure screw the shaft all the way down and then back it off one turn since the arm can only turn a little each way.
No. The seal on the bottom of the box is meant to be slightly compressed by the pitman arm. It actually has a little bit of "give" built into it for that reason. You need to adjust the depth of the shaft such that the pitman arm is always contacting the base of the seal. It will obviously get looser or tighter, depending on direction of rotation. You need to find the sweet spot. It took me a couple times to get it right. My pitman arm can be indexed in 90 degree increments to fine tune it's location relative to the threads. YMMV.

Picture is from Dean's website, highlighting the compression surface.
Thanks
66 stroker, almost done.
Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

Mainer311 wrote:
Curtis wrote:Question about rear axle seal. Datsun changed from a two piece to this one piece completely enclosed in rubber. Does it still need a gasket like the two piece or just some sealer?
I just replaced mine this past winter, and didn't bother putting anything behind it. Due to it being overmolded like you said, I felt the rubbery surface on the back was suitable.
Thanks. On recommendation from our local guru I used a bit of high tack sealer on it.
66 stroker, almost done.
Mainer311
Roadsteraholic

Post by Mainer311 »

Curtis wrote:
Thanks. On recommendation from our local guru I used a bit of high tack sealer on it.
My car doesn't see rain, only the occasional puddle, so I wasn't too concerned. The rebuild you're doing looks immaculate though.
Jordan
Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

Mainer311 wrote:
Curtis wrote:
My car doesn't see rain, only the occasional puddle, so I wasn't too concerned. The rebuild you're doing looks immaculate though.
Here's the powder coated idler box and arm.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
66 stroker, almost done.
AC77

Post by AC77 »

notoptoy wrote:I would check to see if the front pads slide easily into the calipers, if not, they could be hanging and squealing. If they are tight, sand down the sides of the metal backing plate until they drop in smoothly.
Thanks, I will give that a go tonight when I get home from work.
Adam C
--
1972 Chevy Luv
pebbles

Post by pebbles »

AC77 wrote:
notoptoy wrote:I would check to see if the front pads slide easily into the calipers, if not, they could be hanging and squealing. If they are tight, sand down the sides of the metal backing plate until they drop in smoothly.
Thanks, I will give that a go tonight when I get home from work.
Also, there are metal anti squeal shims bonded to the hard side of the pads. One may have become disbonded.
David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."
AC77

Post by AC77 »

If that's the case, how do I fix that?
Adam C
--
1972 Chevy Luv
mraitch
Roadsteraholic
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by mraitch »

Use a new pad.
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California
2mAn
Roadsteraholic

Post by 2mAn »

My car has an exhaust leak right after the header. To save myself a headache later, I plan to weld a flexjoint here along with an exhaust flange to make removal easy in the future, especially when I upgrade the exhaust system later.

My question is, roughly where should I have all of this installed? Is there a spot where the flange would be ideal and not need to be modified again later?
Simon
Current Cars:
-1999 Porsche 911 4/98-build, 3.8L M96