For Sale Rebuilt 5 Speed

Discuss engine swap details here!

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Ldino21
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Ldino21 »

Steve

I would love to debate with you the positives about a completely built for speed KA24DE... You can see mine at Solvang this year.

Here is what I bought for it today!!

http://www.electromotive-inc.com/products/tec3.html

Next up......

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/phase2motor ... tdboo.html

Tell me what you think??

Lou Smaldino
66-1600 (KA24DE Turbo?)
67-2000
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

RE:KA24DE

Post by S Allen »

Pretty nice Lou but not without a price. I guess if you want to go fast you have to pay. I am looking forward to seeing your KA24DE. Are the Solvang fliers ready yet?

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
TR

Post by TR »

Hey Lou,

Playing Devil's Advocate-Why not buy a SR20DET front clip that puts out the same horsepower? Bonuses include Nissan engineering (including fuel management) and it costs less than the turbo kit alone...I looked at the KA, but the lighter aluminum block and higher rev potential of the smaller SR really seems the way to go. The KA's are built more for torque than HP (since it was developed for truck use) and all of the build up articles I have read reference a few rebuilds...Not that one cannot be built to be reliable, but it seems the hard way to go...

My $.02...I hope to meet you at Solvang this year, TR
Ldino21
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Ldino21 »

Where are you guys racing the car on the Street, Track or Auto-X?

Which engine is easier and less expensive to repair when something breaks down, and if you drive hard something is going to break down?

Front clip for an SR20DE ($1500 - $4000)

Front clip for a KA24DE ($500-$1000)

How much HP do you need for a Datsun Roadster that doesnt even weigh 2000lbs? 200, 300, 400hp?

The Turbo is not in my car yet, it is looking like a nice alternative, whether I really need it r not is another thing!!
TR

Post by TR »

I'm not racing...Just having a lot of fun on the way to work (when it isn't raining!)...

The front clip for my car was less than the turbo kit alone for the KA, and once again, it included the turbo and engine management, etc. Considering I can get a new engine for the same price as the KA, I don't plan on ever taking an engine apart, I'll just buy a new one. All of the other ancillaries can be purchased, the cost is similar to what individual pieces for that kit would be...

Given the choice between Nissan engineers and the aftermarket, I would assume that Nissan stuff would be way more reliable...

As for HP...Can you have too much?! Kidding aside, the ~200 that the SR20DET puts out is plenty. Any more and you could really get yourself into trouble! Although, I would consider trading some of the low end torque for top end HP as you'll find with the KA, first gear is only for the steepest of hills...TR

Post by Guest »

You go Travis!! SR power!!
Lou have you considered taking the KA to Rebello? My friend took his Ka24E and they hopped it up to 200hp at the rear wheels!! THis is all motor, no turbo worries. He uses SDS fuel injection, and electromotive spark. THere are pics of the motor i nmy webshots album, under 510 4 dr track.
THink of what they can do with a twincam KA :D
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Ldino21
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Ldino21 »

I am not saying that I do not like the SR20DE or DET at all!!!

What I am saying is it really cost effective!! For what most Roadster owners are looking for. You said it yourself, if your engine breaks down you are just going to put another one in it. That's great if you have the money!!

I myself bought my 40,000 mile KA24de engine, wiring harness, ecu and everything for $500 and it was running before I bought it. Since then I spent some extra money on port and polishing, engine computer and other goodies that I didn't have to. I also installed it without having to knotch out the Frame of my car. Which I feel is very important. Also if something breaks down, I can go to local auto parts store or Pick-A-Part and find a piece easily. With an SR20 you need to be able to speak some japanese to get a part or pay through the nose for it.

Don't get me wrong, the SR20DE is a very nice setup!!

My plan is to enjoy my car for the next year or so before I autocross it, where I mostly will be driving it in 1st and 2nd gear which is why I like the higher torque.

Both these engines are great engines, and both engines, with enough money, can easily be boosted to well over 400hp if need be. But for anoverall cost effectiveness and reliable standpoint I prefer the KA24, for something a little more exotic go SR20.
TR

Post by TR »

Ahhh...Now I see the confusion-I thought you were trying to compare a turbo modified KA to the as delivered from Japan SR20DET. To which I think there is no comparison...But if you compare the base KA to the SR20DE or T, there is a big price difference (and performance, etc.)!

My comment about just putting another engine in is a comparison of how much a JDM engine can be had for compared to the replacement part from Nissan. Any more than very minor engine repair costs more than the engine!

When I looked into a KA package, they were a bit more expensive than $500, you got a great deal on that low mileage engine! I need to learn how to shop for a bargain!

I agree with not wanting to notch the frame. It took me a lot of looking and "hem and haw"ing before I started cutting...Now that it is done, I don't think twice about it unless I am under the car and then I look to make sure my weld work hasn't shown its true colors...

I think if you break down the costs of getting 300 or 400HP out of these two engines, the SR is cheaper and more reliable. All of the builds I have read say that due to the extra mass in the rotating bits of the larger displacement KA, it will tear itself apart as the revs climb...

Thanks for the fun discussion, I hope I haven't gotten under your collar! TR
Ldino21
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Ldino21 »

Never under my collar!!

Banter is GOOD!!
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

KA in the 67.5?

Post by SLOroadster »

Lou,
Are you putting that engine in your 67.5 2000?

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
Ldino21
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Ldino21 »

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

That engine is in my 66-1600 that I bought for $100.
TR

Post by TR »

That's the way to do it! I looked for sometime and paid too much for a beater with a rusted engine to do the swap to. I sold a very good 1600 because I couldn't bring myself to cut it up...TR
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
TR

Post by TR »

Tis a good point...

Alvin, you going to be at Solvang? TR