Datsun on Steroids KA24 W/turbo

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

millertime

Datsun on Steroids KA24 W/turbo

Post by millertime »

This is a Datsun roadster that Mike Schader is putting in a KA24 w/ a custom turbo fabrication the cool thing is the piping for the turbo.
What do you guys think ? Mind you this is the first time he has ever worked on a datsun never it being a roadster.
I met this guy when I bought the U20 off him which is what was originally in the car. He specialize's in car fabrication in the 40's, 50's etc... but took on this project for client of his. I must admit I am impressed so far!! He got it running and it Sounds Sweet!!

http://community.webshots.com/album/100254256wHJaTm
Last edited by millertime on Sat Mar 27, 2004 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Where's the intercooler? There's so much room infront of the radiator!!
TR

Post by TR »

I know it isn't as cool, but I like the turbo hidden...

I looked at both layouts and decided tucking the turbo under the steering column would be a bit cleaner...TR
Mike Abssy

Intercooler...

Post by Mike Abssy »

I agree with you on the intercooler issue but it's not in the customer's budget at this stage. That's why I did the turbo ducting the way it is, so that it'll be easier to install an intercooler when he decides he wants to make more boost. It's set at 5-7 pounds right now.

I specialize building big displacement Cadillac V-8's (8 liters and up) and we've put them in some pretty light cars but after hearing this Datsun run (and hearing the turbo spool up) I can't wait to take it for a spin. I think it's going to be a rocketship! The hydraulics need to be gone through and then it's time for some test drives. There's more photos at www.schraderspeedshop.com.

Post by Guest »

How much does it cost to do the engine swap?
Are you leaving the brakes stock?
Will you be using the stock gauges?
millertime

Post by millertime »

link not good here is a new one

http://www.schraderspeedshop.com/

Post by Guest »

Uhhhhh....the original link just had an extra period after .com. I visited the site and it's hunkydory but it still doesn't answer my questions:
How much is the swap?
Will the brakes be stock?
Will the stock gauges still be used?
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

I went to the site. I see that it is a 1967.5 that is getting this swap. Was this originally a 1600, or a 2000 car? (VIN SPL311 or SRL311).

Just curious.
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
Mike Abssy

Post by Mike Abssy »

Thanks for fixing the link!

The car was a 1600. At some point (before we got it) it had a U20 and 5 speed swapped into it. Not certain if it's a 67 or a 67.5, I can supply a VIN if anyone is interested.

Brakes will be aftermarket slotted or drilled rotors and still not certain what to do about the calipers. My understanding is that the only advantage to Volvo calipers is that they are easily adaptable and cheap. I am really not a fan of all those external lines on the caliper, just more stuff that can go wrong but there doesn't seem to be much choice without getting very spendy. I'd really like to see a set of Wilwood four pistons but lots of fabrication time there so we'll see what his budget will allow.

I plan to use the stock gauges for fuel level, tach, speedo and oil pressure. We took the tach and oil pressure signals from the ECM harness. The stock amp gauge only goes to 30 amps or something and the KA24 alternator is 80. There's a functioning charge light so that will have to do for now. The customer really wants the car to appear as stock as possible so we will not be putting Autometer Pro-Comp gauges or 17" wheels on the thing. It will have a stock appearing interior, factory red paint, bumper guards removed (rear bumper slightly tucked in to the body...hot rod trick!) and stock wheels with dog dish hubcaps. By the way, does anybody know if a 205 tire will fit on a stock 14" rim?

As for cost, every job is different. What parts do you already have? Do you have a roadster to start with? Do you want a turbo or normally aspirated motor? Do you just want the fabrication done to fit the KA24DE and transmission? Do you want to drive your car in and drive the completed conversion out? Feel free to contact me directly (contact info is on our website) if you're interested in a conversion.

This customer started with nothing but an idea. We found the car for him, found the driveline, did all the homework on the electronics and turbo harware and made it all work together. He's going to be in it for over $20k when it's done but that includes paint, interior, chroming, everything.
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

It is clearly a 67.5 - I was just curious, not a big deal.

I have seen another caliper swap on some cars in Japan, but have not located difinitive information. I too am not a big fan of the external lines - either the stock Roadster units, or the Volvo units. If I come up with something, I will let you know.
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Tires

Post by SLOroadster »

The stock steel wheels are flexy especially if you push them hard. When I changed over to the Z wheels, it changed the way the car drove across the board. You can get a 205/60 -14 on a set of American Racing Equipment Libras to fit. It is really tight but will fit.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
millertime

Tires

Post by millertime »

Mike:

Im runnin 195/55 - 14's on my Panasports.. these tires are a little hard to find but they are still out there.. They fit quite well and look good.

Derek
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

wheels

Post by SLOroadster »

I have the Falken Azenis 195/60-14s on my Libras right now. It is a tight fit but they are on there. They will fit better if you have the stock rear springs, I have the comp springs so my car sits really low.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
toolsnob

Japanese caliper conversion

Post by toolsnob »

Herb Petty went to Japan and brought back some info on new 4 piston calipers and harden lines. Very pricey, about $1300.00.

Post by Guest »

What "info" does he have? Are the calipers Nissan? How do you know Herb?