Ebay Seller REDDAT

You can let the rest of us know about a bad or a good experience you had. Please stick to the facts and keep your emotions/feelings in check regarding shame. This is a sensitive topic and will be monitored.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

reblues
Site Supporter

Ebay Seller REDDAT

Post by reblues »

Hi all,

Just a warning about seller on eBay, REDDAT, George G. Robbins. I won auction 220118456665 for freeze plugs described as follows.
You are bidding on a set of new engine freeze plugs.Applications with L16 engine.These plugs fit 1968-1973 datsun 510s,1968-1972 datsun 520 & 521 pickups,1973-1979 datsun 620 pickups.Also 1965-1970 datsun roadsters.Also 1973-1976 datsun 610s,1974-1977 datsun 710s.These are a must for your restoration.Also feel free to visit my other auctions
These are not for Roadster engines, they are to large.

Here is the conversation so far.

Me:
Hi, The freeze plugs arrived yesterday. Thanks for the quick shipping.
However, they do not fit the Roadster U20 engine.
They are to large. I need to return them to you.
Thanks
Richard Brown
REDDAT:
auctions states 16 size engine only
Me:
Excuse me. It says "Also 1965-1970 datsun roadsters". Nothing about only for the 1600. The freeze plugs are the same for the roadster 1600 & 2000. These are NOT for the Roadster engines.
Me:
Here is a link to a Roadster vendor for the freeze plugs.

http://www.datsunroadster.com/SUB_SECTI ... ternal.htm
REDDAT:
IM NOT GOING TO ARGUE IS STATES L16 ENGINE ONLY
Me:
I am glad you are not going to argue. Send the refund & I will send back the plugs. It does not state L16 only. It says, and I quote again, "Also 1965-1970 datsun roadsters." Roadster never came with a L16 engine.
REDDAT:
send them back and i will give a refund
I will send them back and see what he does on the refund. I would be very cautious dealing with this guy. He has another auction for the same plugs. Don't be fooled, they will not work.

Richard Brown
da-man

Post by da-man »

let's be realistic. there is a description problem. It does not appear that he purposely intended to deceive you into buying his item. At worst, he has his facts wrong.

And then he offered to refund your money.

I think it sounds like he's doin' what he can.

I've spend ALOT of time on Ebay.... and as with most things in life: you get out what you put in.

Be reasonable, and most sellers will be the same back to ya.
excalibur
Roadster Fanatic

Post by excalibur »

With freeze plugs in particular, it may just be better to go to a local parts house, just be sure you know what sizes of plugs you need. If you pop all of your old ones out, and bring them in with you, you are assurred to get the right ones. My local NAPA carries a good assortment, and they are less than a couple bucks a piece.
Joe

'68 1600
Dave
Turbo Powered
Location: In the refrigerator, to the left of the mayonnaise, behind the pickles and beer.

Post by Dave »

Guys, feel free to continue to discuss the merits of this transaction. However, I'm moving out from the General forum and into a slightly more appropriate place.
Dave Kaplan

68 2000 Roadster - Now with GT2560R power!
SR20-DET: 223 rwhp, 222 lb-ft.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/698904
reblues
Site Supporter

Post by reblues »

My point in posting this was to let others know that this guy does not know roadsters. He has other listings that include the roadster along with other models

He was quick to ship and fast to respond to emails. It took several hours of emailing and pointing out that his description was wrong before he offered a refund.
roadsterfan

Post by roadsterfan »

I think Richard is being reasonable, it is obvious from the emails that he didn't want to refund the money, even the seller's latest ad for these plugs still states it is for the Roadsters when he now knows that they aren't. The guy is obviously a good seller as his rating is 99.5%. So why give Richard a hard time about returning them, it's less than $10. He should have just said "my bad" and offer to refund the money right off.
spyder
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by spyder »

I purchased something from him and I thought it was a good price. It had no shipping calculator but Houston is only a couple or so hours from San Antone. When he gave me the shipping price I asked WoW that seems steep. He lowered the shipping but I am careful to ask shipping now if not stated. It seems Ebay charges a percentage of the sale price but not shipping.
Danny_Vilato
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Danny_Vilato »

I am having a similar situation with REDDAT.
I bought a pair of front axle end caps from him awhile ago.
Now that I am putting the front end together,
I find out they are too small. :shock:
After several correspondence he says to send them back.
69 SRL
reblues
Site Supporter

Post by reblues »

REDDAT gave a quick, full refund. A good eBayer. As I said before, he just must not know roadsters.

Richard
woton121
Roadster Fanatic

redat

Post by woton121 »

I bought a few parts from him for my Z, he has fair to good prices, but his shipping is never stated and seems too high. I have been shying away from dealing with him due to the shipping costs.
Woton
alp
Roadster Fanatic

Post by alp »

he is not a "good ebaye"r since he relisted the same part with the same errors. It is good that he is taking returns on these items but he should spend the appropriate amount of time to update his auctions. Who paid for the shipping to and fro? It should also be him.
Nissanman
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Nissanman »

I am having a similar situation with REDDAT.
I bought a pair of front axle end caps from him awhile ago.
Now that I am putting the front end together,
I find out they are too small.
Me too.
I decided to keep the small ones [probably for a Z or 510] and asked George if he could supply the correct cap.
I'm in Oz, hardly worth the trouble to return them :roll:
He said he had them and would send them over as a separate sale.
Got them today, fit fine, no complaints.
Don't know whether it was a picking/packing error or what, but it all ended well :)
Nissanman, just trying to help.
1965 SP310 Engine No. G-93326 Car No. SP310-10817
https://photos.shutterfly.com/album/60141836519
On the road again!
ZeroNilNada

Re: Ebay Seller REDDAT

Post by ZeroNilNada »

I, too, have had issues with REDDAT.

He is posting hood letters as NOS that are new, not NOS. My understanding of NOS is "New Old Stock", or old parts that have never been installed.

I foolishly ordered a set from him thinking I was getting the metal ones. When they arrived I was disappointed that they were plastic. I sent him an email stating that I had gotten plastic ones and that maybe there was a mistake in the shipping. He simply stated that they don't make metal ones anymore, only plastic. I told him that I knew that, that was why I purchased what I thought was New Old Stock. I told him that it wasn't worth my time to try to send them back so I just ate it. In addition, he didn't disclose shipping costs (and I neglected to ask) so the shipping for a very small box was about $8. The package clearly showed the postage was about $1.25. When I posted my feedback I was fair (good communication, fast shipping, shipping costs high), he sent me a note through ebay asking me to change my feedback to all positives. I told him that I post what's true and refused to change it.

I will not purchase from this seller again as I don't believe he is up front with the shipping on purpose and that the parts he is selling are not as described. I have contacted ebay with the issue that I feel he is misrepresenting at least the hood letters but have not heard anything back.
1966 SPL311 02870
alp
Roadster Fanatic

Post by alp »

tell him to refund the whole amount for the transaction and you will amend the feedback. Of course just amend the part about returning everyting and leave the rest as is.
ppeters914

Post by ppeters914 »

I have no personal experience with REDDAT because he has a looooooooooong history on multiple Datsun/Nissan mailing lists/forums of not fully describing items nor including shipping costs.
Pete
-------------------------------------
'67 1600 - frame off started in 2014. Now I know why roadster projects take so long. What a stupid idea. :smt021
'66 1600 - parts car
'66 WPL411 ***SOLD***
A couple of Porsches, a RAV4 Hybrid, and a motorcycle