DatsunWiki

Moderators: S Allen, Solex68

nking79

DatsunWiki

Post by nking79 »

I thought it might be interesting to look into replacing the tech section with a wiki script so that everyone can work together to create an online tech manual. Take a look at www.mediawiki.org. I've never installed this script before, so I'm not sure how involved it is...
shifty
Roadster Enthusiast

Post by shifty »

That's a great idea. How hard is it to add something like that Steve?
Leigh Brooks

http://www.shiftco.com - my blog about cars (and stuff)
Latest post: http://www.shiftco.com/radios/the-test-mule/

67.5 SRL-00139 sleeping
67.5 SPL-11481 suspended animation
67.5 SPL-12961 snoring
67.5 SPL-13622 - H20 PWR!
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

Steve sent me a note to say that he is on vacation, so he may not reply immediately.
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
nking79

Post by nking79 »

I'm not sure if MediaWiki is the best script I've seen. Other free scripts can be found at hotscripts.com. Examples of MediaWiki in use:

http://uncyclopedia.org
http://t.quadratus.ws
dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dbrick »

spl310 wrote:Steve sent me a note to say that he is on vacation, so he may not reply immediately.
Wait, if he was on vacation and may not reply, how did he send you a note??? Sounds fishy to me. What's next, "Steve e-mailed me, his e-mail isn't working"? :lol:

Back on topic, the concept sounds good, but how easy is Wiki for the computer illiterate, like myself, and does it require alot of time to moderate, since it is able to be edited by everyone?

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

I have no clue what that is. What would be nice is a way to directly upload pics rather than loading them somewhere else then linking to the other place. The other forum I post to on a regular basis allows 5 pics per post, and uploads directly from the computer.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
ppeters914
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by ppeters914 »

Will,

If you're talking about the Alfa forum, their forum software isn't for free like this one. Same goes for the Bluebirds forum. In both cases, the owner(s) have decided to foot the bill for the benefit of the members.

In all fairness, Steve has tried implementing photo album features using Coppermine and what all. Again, these are freebies.

The other thing is that it's too easy for people to upload hurking huge pics that require more hard drive space.

Bottom line, pictures can become a major headache.

As for the Wiki, I dunno. Someone still has to review and edit it.
Pete
-------------------------------------
'67 1600 - frame off started in 2014. Now I know why roadster projects take so long. What a stupid idea. :smt021
'66 1600 - parts car
'66 WPL411 ***SOLD***
A couple of Porsches, a RAV4 Hybrid, and a motorcycle
S Allen
Site Admin

RE:DatsunWiki

Post by S Allen »

Yep, I am in the middle of no where and just got dial-up yesterday and boy is it sloooooow. I have seen a few wiki sites and they look to me sort of like a Blog. I am sure there is a blogging mod for php. Do we really need that? Dunno. As to pictures the problem really is the mega-pixel sized pics a digital camera produces. Without some sort of editing software like free GIMP for Windoze uploads can be painful and the pictures are not very web friendly. GIMP is easy for a computer geek like myself but there are many people that do not want to go through the hassles. Any way, I will look into it when I get back. Lot's of rain and thunderstorms in the mid-west right now. I am waiting for the sun to shine so we can go Morel mushroom hunting. Ok, bye for now.

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

Steve,

Enjoy the vacation. When you consider the photo thing, remember how speedy dialup is as there are some folks on the forum that still use that antiquated method...
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

Hey Steve,
Not sure how far out in the boonies you are, but you might want to look for free wireless hot spots. I use JWire for the Mac to check via zipcode. Whole Foods Markets have free wireless too. Maybe they will buy your mushrooms...the organic, legal ones :)

Linda
itsa68
Roadsteraholic
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by itsa68 »

I cant believe that Steve is keeping track of whats happening on the site when he is on holidays.
Thats devotion!
Morel mushrooms....are those the brown ones that look like they have holes in them like swiss cheese? mmmmm tasty
I prefer the chicken of the forest variety of mushroom (for those that know their shrooms).
Thats not a R16 death rattle....its a dried leaf hitting my heater blower fan.
1968 SPL311 non-smog
nking79

Post by nking79 »

Some wikis are more blog-like and I don't really see the point of that. Maybe I can set up a test site for a DatsunWiki so we can all see it in use.

As for images, it becomes difficult when people start uploading large images. Server space fills up quickly and bandwidth increases.
nking79

Post by nking79 »

I put up a test wiki last night:

http://www.nkdsn.com/wiki/pmwiki.php

You can edit whatever you want. If you want to mess around there is a page called Sandbox on the lefthand menu. Editing instructions are linked on the lefthand menu as well. I haven't yet figured out images yet... but am working on it.
ppeters914

Re: DatsunWiki

Post by ppeters914 »

nking79 wrote:I thought it might be interesting to look into replacing the tech section with a wiki script so that everyone can work together to create an online tech manual.
Before we rush off to reinvent the wheel, I have to ask why? What is wrong with the current Technical Info section? Yes, some of it needs updating and editing, but do we really need another online source? People already post questions that are already answered in the Tech Info.

Personally, I like that there are only two main online resources; the 311s.org website and the roadster mailing list. The 311s.org site lists all the other online resources. Steve has no problem adding if you find one that isn't there.

Yes, there's a lot of good info buried in the forums. Perhaps the best thing is to figure out what info needs to be added to the Tech Info section, then write new articles or modify the existing ones. You don't need to know HTML -- it's the content that counts. I am sure Steve wouldn't mind people contributing info.

Okay, that's my two centavos. :smt028 I relinquish the podium to the distinguished gentleman from....
Pete
-------------------------------------
'67 1600 - frame off started in 2014. Now I know why roadster projects take so long. What a stupid idea. :smt021
'66 1600 - parts car
'66 WPL411 ***SOLD***
A couple of Porsches, a RAV4 Hybrid, and a motorcycle
nking79

Post by nking79 »

I also like being able to search two places for information... Its easy to find information on the forums here and the team.net list through the search tools. The big thing with wiki is the ability for everyone to be able to edit/add pages, upload images (with a 50kb size limit).

Also, if I have questions about rebuilding brake calipers, all the information will be on one page instead of having to read through various posts.

The downfall, as you mention, is having a third resource to search through. Every resource has its ups and downs.