Photos are here - 1968 1600

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

nking79

Photos are here - 1968 1600

Post by nking79 »

I uploaded the first three photos to http://datsunking.tripod.com/

The exterior seems to be in good condition, the glass is good, but the interior needs to be completely gutted. As soon as I get the photos of the engine and interior, I'll upload them right away. The car came with a Datsun Handbook and Service manual detailing step by step upkeep and care (Clymer Publications). The last receipt for service in 1994 shows that the car had some parts replaced: master cylinder, brake hose, 2x radiator hoses, fuel line, hose clamps, wipers, and many other random hoses.

The car still had oil in it but the other fluids seemed empty.

One worry - the wheels have sunk into the mud a bit and I'm wondering if the bottom is resting on the ground. Should I worry about rust on the bottom?
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

RE:68 1600

Post by S Allen »

From the photos it looks to be in fairly good shape body wise. You have your work cut out for you but with a lot of time and some money you should have a good runner. I have seen much worse. As to the frame-you should be able to put it up on jackstands and get a good look at it. Hang in there and do not hesitate to ask questions. Good luck.

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
nking79

Post by nking79 »

you have no idea how nice it was to hear 'some money' - everyone i know thinks I'll be pouring millions into this.

I'm thinking of having it looked at by a professional. Can anyone recommend someone is the philladelphia/harrisburg PA area that specializes in these cars?
nking79

interior

Post by nking79 »

the first photo of the interior was uploaded which showcases a piece of duct tape which dangles from what is left of the soft top. The middle console thing is in bad shape. The backs of the seats and parts of the door panels are well covered with mold.

I've seen door panel kits for sale, but never anything for the center console. Should I look to buy one, or is it fixable?

More photos coming.
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

RE:Your Project

Post by S Allen »

One of the vendors-I think it is Dean-Fairlady Products sells a center console recover kit. I redid my own with black vinyl and foam. 3M makes some great spray on adhesives. You have to asess the project as a whole but concentrate on the mechanical aspect first. Get it running and driving it will inspire you to do more. Just do not become over whelmed and do not expect to complete it within a couple of months. A couple of years might be more realisitic. I have my recently aquired '65 1600 purring but boy does it look bad. I call it my "Columbo Car". :shock:

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
nking79

Post by nking79 »

I'm going to have the car looked at professionally first and I may have someone work on the engine and getting it running. Right now I don't know much about cars and I've never worked on one. I don't think I would be able to tell if the frame of the car is too rusted or if something in the engine is damaged beyond repair.

Right now I'm compiling a list of what needs to be replaced, where to get it and how much it'll be. The interior is last on my list and I fell like I'd be able to handle that myself rather than have a shop do it. Also last on the list.
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

That looks like a great project!! Get it running (should be easy if it is not seized) and fix the hydraulics. Take it for a drive and resolve the squeaks and creaks before you go to doing the pretty stuff wholesale. But, do clean it up (a good cleaning will make the interior look 1000% better - I promise). The console does not look hateful. I am sure that the kit from Dean will square it away in no time. Vinyl could also be used if you are on a severe budget...
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
nking79

Post by nking79 »

You make restoring cars sound easy...

I found someone in Eastern PA that does Datsun restorations who I'm going to have look at the car for major problems and work on the engine, brakes, suspension and other major areas of the car. I'm going to clean up/replace the interior as best I can and will learn how to upkeep the car and fix minor problems.

If I knew anything about cars or even had the right equptment I would feel more comfertable doing it myself.
nking79

more

Post by nking79 »

I have about half the photos up. Two of the interior and one of the larger visible rust spot
Sloloco

Post by Sloloco »

Cool!!! now you can replace that scary slideshow you got goin' with a car pick. :lol: :wink:
nking79

Post by nking79 »

That was on my list of things to do....

Post by Guest »

Nice man! 8)
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

I didn't think that the slide show was that bad. A little disturbed, but not scary. Looked kind of like mugshots - maybe the guys responsible for all of the Roadster ills that we have experienced! :P
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
nking79

mugshots

Post by nking79 »

The "mugshots" were members of Zwan - a band that came to in November of 2001 and broke up about a month ago. The lead singer, Billy Corgan is from the Smashing Pumpkins and the band featured a member of A Perfect Circle and some unknown bands.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED