KYB shocks.....white ones..

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

roadsterdude

KYB shocks.....white ones..

Post by roadsterdude »

Hello All,

Anyone using the white KYB gas shocks on their roadster??
Just wondering which part numbers everyone is using..

I checked the 311s.org parts list..and it has a couple of numbers..
Just want to make sure its the ones everyone is using.

Thanks,

Raul
Minh
Roadsteraholic

Post by Minh »

I have the "Gas-Adjust" on front and back.

KYB come in different models... Gas-Adjust, GR2, and Adjustable are the three I know of.
'69 1982cc SU
'74 1600cc VW Bug
http://www.311s.org/registry/1969/srl311-07837.html
When life hands you lemons, ask for TEQUILA AND SALT!
roadsterdude

Post by roadsterdude »

Minh wrote:I have the "Gas-Adjust" on front and back.

KYB come in different models... Gas-Adjust, GR2, and Adjustable are the three I know of.
Hey Minh..

Is that the white ones??that you are using..
Do you have the numbers??

When I installed the comps springs on my white roadster..
I discovered that the konis in the front where shot...its not even
dampening..I could move it up and down without any effort..

That means I have been going on these runs....with a stock
suspension...bad shocks..and not quite so sticky tires...
and it still handled the twisties well...
Just to show you how well these roadster handles.
Imagine if I get some Kyb's and some sticky tires.....
Buwahahhaaaaaaaaaaa.....the roads will be mine...Buwaaahhhhhaaaaa mine I tell you...

Here ya go!

Post by Guest »

The part numbers are; KYB 343136 and KYB 343138. I can get a set new in box from distributor shipped $100 total! I see used ones on eBay going for more than that!? :shock: I got a good hook-up so let me know if you are in the market :wink: . I will have H&R springs available soon as well (at a real nice ride height). :P
roadsterdude

Re: Here ya go!

Post by roadsterdude »

Anonymous wrote:The part numbers are; KYB 343136 and KYB 343138. I can get a set new in box from distributor shipped $100 total! I see used ones on eBay going for more than that!? :shock: I got a good hook-up so let me know if you are in the market :wink: . I will have H&R springs available soon as well (at a real nice ride height). :P
Who is this??

and are the kyb's the white gasadjust ones???
Minh
Roadsteraholic

Post by Minh »

They were the white ones. I ordered them from www.Summitracing.com

KYB Gas Adjust Part Numbers,
KG5447 (rear) $29.95/ea
KG4528 (front) $27.95/ea

Make sure you don't throw away the rear washer and nuts from the old pair. You will need to reuse the washer and nuts to mount the new KYBs.

The washer that come with the rear KYB were meant for the Datsun pickup truck.
'69 1982cc SU
'74 1600cc VW Bug
Minh
Roadsteraholic

Re: Here ya go!

Post by Minh »

Anonymous wrote:The part numbers are; KYB 343136 and KYB 343138. I can get a set new in box from distributor shipped $100 total! I see used ones on eBay going for more than that!? :shock: I got a good hook-up so let me know if you are in the market :wink: . I will have H&R springs available soon as well (at a real nice ride height). :P
Whomever this is you should not say I'll hook you up and not leave any way of getting a hold of you. :)
'69 1982cc SU
'74 1600cc VW Bug
Sloloco

I'm NO guest!

Post by Sloloco »

It's me, Lance
I was logged in but for some reason this sight doesn't always recognize me!? :x The total after shipping to my door was $97 and no tax! They got here in two days from what I remember. That's the best price I found. :wink:
roadsterdude

Re: I'm NO guest!

Post by roadsterdude »

Sloloco wrote:It's me, Lance
I was logged in but for some reason this sight doesn't always recognize me!? :x The total after shipping to my door was $97 and no tax! They got here in two days from what I remember. That's the best price I found. :wink:
Thats a great deal Lance..I figured it was you....from your mention
of the springs...whats the height of the springs that you are getting
made...
Sloloco

Post by Sloloco »

That's what I'm working on now. I'm a young guy so of course, I want to go lower than the average owner does. I'm considering a progressive 8-8.5� w/ dead coils. Typically I find what you do at the spring doubles at the wheel(i.e. 1� shorter spring = 2� drop in ride height). TR donated a front set for me to mess with. I am trying to see if Rowland (H&R prez.) has a pre-existing spring for my dimensions. He's a good friends but would still have to charge a bit for custom designed springs. As for rate, I think 750#+- would be nice but I am used to working with 3-link, 4-link or, IRS so balancing a leaf spring car is new to me. I also decided not to fork out for Koni which are known to leak but handle high spring rates and are rebuildable. :? I will keep you posted!
roadsterdude

Post by roadsterdude »

Thats great Lance....
Its nice to have friends in those types of places...

I think Steve Allen is getting springs made as well.
I dont know what he ended up doing..

And I know Alvin has been through all of the pains in lowering
a roadster..so im sure he could tell you a few things that he
encountered.

Well keep us posted....the comp springs doesnt lower the car enough in my opinion...
oilleak

Koni's

Post by oilleak »

You mean Calspeed's roadster had shot koni's on it! You'll have to give him shit about that. Are you getting rid of the koni's? If so, I may be interested in buying them off you. They are rebuildable and I wouldn't mind having a second set. Let me know if you're replacing them and don't want to keep them.
Sloloco

Post by Sloloco »

Who's Calspeed?
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

RE:Front Springs

Post by S Allen »

Yeah, I had some made off of the later style competiton springs with free length of 8-1/2". The early competiton springs have a free length of 9-3/16" while the later competiton springs have a free length of 9-3/8". Stock springs have a free length of 10-1/4" to 10-5/16- I did a write up on the springs but need to finish it. http://www.311s.org/tech/susp/frtsprings.html Mine were a bit pricy but fit my needs on the race car. I am running 15 x 7 Diamond racing rims with American Racer slicks. It slammed the front of the car to a point where the tie rods rub just a bit against the frame. Not good for a street car but not a problem with the race car. I can still steer it just fine. Some where around 8-3/4" to 8-7/8" free length would probably be the limit for a street car.

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
roadsterdude

Re: Koni's

Post by roadsterdude »

oilleak wrote:You mean Calspeed's roadster had shot koni's on it! You'll have to give him shit about that. Are you getting rid of the koni's? If so, I may be interested in buying them off you. They are rebuildable and I wouldn't mind having a second set. Let me know if you're replacing them and don't want to keep them.
Not Calspeeds roadster..but the white roadster...
It had the bad koni's..havent checked the back ones yet..
I will let you know....if they are bad as well..