Spare

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Ivin

Spare

Post by Ivin »

A couple of months ago I changed my wheels to Panasports 15" with 185/65 15 tires. Well, I thought that it is time to get a spare tire so I began to look. I wanted to put a spare tire on one of my original 14" rims but can find a size that would have the same diameter. I was told that I should match the diameter because if I ever had a flat in the rear and had to use a spare that was a different height, I could damage the rear end. My question is, does anyone know of a cheap 15" steel wheel that may fit so I can get the same size tires or does anyone know if it really matters?

Thanks

Ivin
Minh
Roadsteraholic

Post by Minh »

Yeah...

Go to a local Pick-N-Pull salvage yard and dig into any Toyota or Nissan 4-lug. They are 15 inch stock tires or on or in many of them.

If all you want is a rim, then find a tire with a bad tire. The yard will only charge for the rim.
'69 1982cc SU
'74 1600cc VW Bug
http://www.311s.org/registry/1969/srl311-07837.html
When life hands you lemons, ask for TEQUILA AND SALT!
Plasmaboy

spare

Post by Plasmaboy »

Hi Ivin , I used a space saver spare from an early 300ZX ( still a datsun 4 stud ) it stores deflated so its super small .. but you have to either carry the inflator can or an air pump to inflate it before use
TR

Post by TR »

You do want a spare to be the same diameter, if you are going to drive a long distance on it. If you are only going to drive the 10 miles or so to the local tire shop for a patch or replacement of the blown tire, then I would put the smallest tire in the trunk that I could find. This leaves a bit more trunk space for other items...TR