Where to begin

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

nking79

Where to begin

Post by nking79 »

My dad's 1967 Datsun 1600 has been under a tarp for the past 6 years since it last ran. Before that the car and tarp were close buddies for some time. He offered to give me the car if I fix it up and being that I don't have a car... well..

My roomate has a Datsun (not a 1600 and it looks a bit older, maybe 1970's Z) and knows quite a bit about engines, repairs etc and offered to help me with it. The obvious first step is getting it running, but where should I begin? Should my roommate and I disassemble the engine and clean all the parts? Also, I'll probably need some suggestions as to where to look for parts. Thanks
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

Well, I would not just arbitrarily start disassembly. Check to make sure that the engine is not frozed as that would change things, if it is not, my suggestion would be to check the gas tank. If it smells foul, plan to pull it and have it boiled out by a radiator shop. Check the oil - if it looks good, that is a good sign - change it anyway. When you have a half quart left, pull off the valve cover, and pour the oil on the rockers and down the pushrods. Check the radiator. If the coolant is green (or red - depending on the brand of coolant used) you are in good shape. Pull the spark plugs (mark the wires first.) and put some Marvel Mystery Oil in the holes - not a bunch, maybe an ounce in each. let the vehicle sit for a while. Pull the engine through a complete cycle or two to get everything moving. Put the valve cover back on it and install a fresh battery. Crank the engine until the oil pressure gauge moves. Let the starter and battery rest. Install new, correctly gapped plugs. Check the wires, cap and rotor for condition. Put gasoline in the carb float bowls and make sure that the pistons move freely. Check to make sure that ALL fuel lines on the engine (especially the ones below the carbs - they run from the carb to the float bowl) are in good shape.. Connect the fuel pump intake hose to a can of gas (not the gas tank) and try to start it. You may find that it will run OK, or it could be a boat anchor.
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
Minh
Roadsteraholic

Post by Minh »

When you crank the motor, disconnect the plug that connects coil from the distributor. All your trying to do is get the oil filled through the entire engine and gallies.

There are a few thing you need to replace before you 1st attempt to fire up:
- spark plugs and wires
- distributor cap and rotor

This will limit the possibilities when troubleshooting why it won't fire up.
'69 1982cc SU
'74 1600cc VW Bug
http://www.311s.org/registry/1969/srl311-07837.html
When life hands you lemons, ask for TEQUILA AND SALT!
nking79

good suggestions

Post by nking79 »

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'm going to make up some sort of a checklist of things to look over once I bring it in. Tearing apart an engine that may work fine with those more simple suggestions makes sense.

Once I get the engine running, what are the next few key places to inspect? I'm sure brakes are up there on the list....
Minh
Roadsteraholic

Post by Minh »

A lot of your questions can be found in the FAQ section of the main page. In fact you probably find question you didn't poner about asking. ;)

http://www.311s.org/
http://www.311s.org/faq.html

You will run into some discomfort replacing the stock air filter. They tend go for $20-25.

There answer on earlier posts that might address our questions depending on what route you want to go.

If not you can always go back to the forum.
'69 1982cc SU
'74 1600cc VW Bug
nking79

One more question

Post by nking79 »

I did find out a lot more useful projects to look forward to once I get it running. I still have no idea what shape the car is in; haven't had a good look at it in years. Its an east-coast car and has seen a lot of moisture.

I new to cars and this would be my first attempt at doing anything with a car. (I will have plenty of help from friends who have expereince) Is there a website that will explain how an older engine works an/or all the components?
larry

how a engine works

Post by larry »

I am sure there are some better ones, but this one explaines the basics
auto.howstuffworks.com/engine1
Minh
Roadsteraholic

Re: how a engine works

Post by Minh »

larry wrote:I am sure there are some better ones, but this one explaines the basics
auto.howstuffworks.com/engine1
A Very good site... I very often recommend to high school kids.
'69 1982cc SU
'74 1600cc VW Bug