Electronic Distributors- Good?

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

68 Toadster

Electronic Distributors- Good?

Post by 68 Toadster »

Hi All,
New to the car but happy so far!
Two things, I had some overheating problems; ended up replacing the head gasket, replaced (7) blade fan clutch with a block from Rallye, still runs kinda warm. need to buy a fan shroud also.
I have also taken the smog stuff off.
Now I've read that overheating along with knocking can be caused by the faulty smog type distributors and that you need to recurve the distributor.
Was wondering if anybody has comments about electronic distributors
like Boones or Pertronix or MSD? Ease of installation, reliability and so on.
thanks in advance,
Todd-
TR

Post by TR »

Hello,

You're opening a big can of worms that every new roadster owner goes through. It sounds like you have started to do some of the investigation into it and found the right answers. Here's some short answers to your questions, I think you'll find all of the answers you need on the main 311s site...

Overheating:
Flush or replace radiator
Now that you have the solid spacer on the fan you can change to a four blade fan, otherwise it will sound like you have a hair dryer under the hood. A better solution, especially since you do not have the shroud, replace with an electric fan.

Distributer:
The distributer is not faulty, it has just been designed with a lot of advance in order to allow the idle to be 0 degrees (cleaner emissions but hotter temp). People change the idle to 15 degrees (after removing the smog equip) not realizing that there is too much advance in the distributer cam. Fairlady products sells the cams with less advance. You can also buy complete units with the proper cam and a later style Nissan "pointless" system. The WYCROC club sells them. Go that route if your distrib is looking rough. A cheper solution is the Pertronix unit, also very nice, but not as good as the Nissan...Simple install.

You'll also want to get new parts for your carbs that will improve the mixture...Check out Ztherapy.

Then your new car should run nice and cool...TR
68 Toadster

Thanks!

Post by 68 Toadster »

I emailed the WYCROC club, but can't find any info on thier website about distributors.
I think the radiator is only about 500 miles old, but it has been sitting for awhile so maybe a good flush will help. Fortunately its the thicker style (not from a 2000) and pretty clean.
I think I'd like to keep the fan and maybe go to a fourblade once I find a fan shroud. I might even make one, I do a little bit of fabrication here and there and a fan shroud couldn't be that hard (famous last words)!
Unfortunately I think I got into a can of worms due to a lack of funds for a cleaner car, on the other hand it keeps my mind nimble trying to come up with solutions. The rust will be the next step, I just want to drive it for now!
Todd-
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

RE:Dizzy Info

Post by S Allen »

Here is the direct link to the dizzy info:
Gary Boone's EI Dizzy
http://www.311s.org/tech/ignition/eidizzynew.html
FAQ on Dizzys
http://www.311s.org/tech/ignition/dizzyfaq.html

I highly recommend one of Gary's conversions. Easy install, quick startup and good solid peformance.

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
68 Toadster

and Thank you too!

Post by 68 Toadster »

Yeah, I keep reading his info and he sure sounds like a qualified guy and I bet they work great too.
Little thing called a budget analyst/wife has me trying to keep the cost down as much as possible. however if I can do some sweat talking I might end up going the Boone route if I can't find a cheap and easy solution.
Thanks,
Todd-
kt

Post by kt »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... gory=33690

this guy has listed 2 of these on ebay in the last couple
of weeks. I'm sure he's got more.

going for $29.

I don't think your Budget Analyst will be too upset.
:)

I wouldn't get an EI just yet.
Running points is cheap and just as good.
Try a simple tune up first. New spark plugs, points, rotor, etc.
Setting the points correctly makes a world of difference
to how strong and smoothly your engine will run.

g/l.
Russell Roach

Post by Russell Roach »

Todd,

Break your budget and go with one of Gary's distributors they as well as his support are flawless. I have one in my street roadster and one in my race car well worth the price. Petronix is junk (just my two cents worth) it's not a true ei. Get one of Gary's you will not be dissappointed.

Russell
TR

Post by TR »

Minh
Roadsteraholic

Post by Minh »

Hey that's crazybackyardbuilder stuff in the For Sale topic :)
'69 1982cc SU
'74 1600cc VW Bug
http://www.311s.org/registry/1969/srl311-07837.html
When life hands you lemons, ask for TEQUILA AND SALT!
Ldino21
Roadster Fanatic

What kind of Car do you have??

Post by Ldino21 »

I missed it somewhere whether you have a 2 liter or a 1600. Have you checked your thermostat to make sure its opening properly, second is it the correct thermostat?Do you have a 180? 160?

Generally, the stock 2000 thermostat doesnt open up very wide, thats why many people have switched to the 1600 Thermostat which is the High Flow 180.

Also if it is a 2000 get that fan shroud it really deflect the airflow better, I personally like the 7 blade fan, I think its a great fan if you have everything else associated, check it out.

Do these things first, then if you still think its the distributor, I would highly recommend either Gary Boones or Fairlady Products EI distributors I have used them both and they are 100 times better than points!!

Lou Smaldino
Fresno, CA
66-1600
67-2000
68 Toadster

Distributor

Post by 68 Toadster »

Thanks again all for the tips!
I ordered the new distributor cams and a tune-up kit to correct the timing and freshen everything up and I'll see how it works after installation.
Still need to get a shroud because it can only help the cooling problem!
I'd like to be able to take it throught the napa valley and up to Mike Youngs place. So I definitely need to get the cooling under control. However my imediate concern is the lack of juice to my battery in the trunk. I'm attempting to check the alternator on Sat. along with the regulator, i wish I liked dealing with the electrical stuff as much as the rest of the car! mechanical stuff I understand but that electrical stuff is like magic to me!
I'll let ya'll know what happens with the new improvements!
Todd-
68 Toadster

It worked!!

Post by 68 Toadster »

Got the Rallye distributor recurve/rebuild parts and tune up kit.
No knocks or pings and runs like a champ!
Now that I am about finished with the first tank of gas, the crude at the bottom of the gas tank is getting sucked into the fuel lines. Kept coughing and dying, clean filter and it starts right up again!
So this weekend is clean the fuel tank weekend, can't wait to get this thing running good and take it on a nice drive!!!
Todd-
TR

Post by TR »

If you can stand the thought of not driving for a few days, take the tank off the car, remove the fuel sender, take it to a radiator/fuel tank shop and have them boil and reline the tank. It is relatively cheap and is well worth it! TR