Yet another 510 crosses my path...

Z car, 210, 510, 521, 621,721 pickups and any thing in between.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

datsunfreak

Yet another 510 crosses my path...

Post by datsunfreak »

Picked this one up last night...

More pics here...
Import_sounds-of-mid-GA

Post by Import_sounds-of-mid-GA »

dang, in a year or two you will have all the 510s in the south :lol:
datsunfreak

Post by datsunfreak »

Some background info on it...

I emailed the owner and we agreed I could come down and look at it on Saturday (yesterday). He mentioned he was willing to sell it very cheap since it had been parked for awhile, and he just wanted someone to do something with it, instead of it sitting in the garage. I'm sure you can imagine what we thought, "must be some tired old rust bucket"... but we brought a trailer just in case.

The owner had been into 510s since '70, having raced several, mostly in road rallies and regional autocrosses. He has owned over 25 different 510s over the years. This particular car was his purpose-built autocross car that he built in '76 and drove off an on until '93. In '93 he bought a new SE-R for his main road race/autocross car and parked the 510. So, in 1993 it was pulled into his barn, covered tightly with a car cover, and the door closed. And it stayed closed until yesterday.

Well, we showed up with a trailer, opened the door, pulled the cover to reveal this:

We started to air up the tires and roll it out. Looking over the car it reads like a laundry list of all the sate-of-the-art bits from the 70s and 80s. Underneath it has adjustable Konis all around, Mulholland springs, Nismo TC kit and adjustable TC rods, BRE sway bars, polished 13x7 ARE Libres, Nitto road race tires, Moog camber plates, and more...

We load it on the trailer and start to notice even more stuff:

Original BRE fenders and rear flares, euro tail lights, the ubiquitous Porsche Guards Red paint, clean bumpers and trim, and alot more.

Popped the hood and almost fell over:

Race built L18SSS, Shadbolt cam, worked head, BRE intake, Dellorto 40mm carbs, working A/C, Nismo long tube header, SSS dizzy, 3-row radiator, Close-ratio Comp 5spd, Roadster clutch, etc.

Started looking inside:

Flawless Rabbit GTI seats, AMCO console, 6pt cage, Simpson 4pt harnesses, Personal Datsun wheel, flat dash with Stewart Warner gauges, old school rally "trip computer" in the glovebox with extra Stewart Warner speedometer and a separate hundredths counting odometer, perfect dash pad, etc.

This car is such a neat piece of history that I can't seem to bring myself to change anything on it. It's exactly as it was when it raced over 20 years ago, and was probably one of the nicest 510s around at that time. So I may just get it running, install new tires and harnesses, maybe switch to Mikunis, and just let it rip. Anyone have a better idea? 8)

Progress photos on the project will be posted here, if you'd like to follow along:
http://www.510garage.com/photos/thumbna ... ?album=180

Anyone notice the license plate? :wink:
Import_sounds-of-mid-GA

Post by Import_sounds-of-mid-GA »

very nice find!
Are those fuel regulators on the firewall?
shifty
Roadster Enthusiast

Post by shifty »

Nice find!

Any reason to switch to Mikunis from the Dellortos?

Only thing I'd change is the blacked-out grille.
Leigh Brooks

http://www.shiftco.com - my blog about cars (and stuff)
Latest post: http://www.shiftco.com/radios/the-test-mule/

67.5 SRL-00139 sleeping
67.5 SPL-11481 suspended animation
67.5 SPL-12961 snoring
67.5 SPL-13622 - H20 PWR!
datsunfreak

Post by datsunfreak »

Any reason to switch to Mikunis from the Dellortos?
Well, I have Fairlady Racing rebuilding a set of Mikunis for me right now, so... :P

But my local VW shop has all the parts for the Dellortos so they may stay on. Also, the Mukinis are 44s ( a bit big for an L18) and the Dellortos are 40s and already jetted and tuned for this engine. I just need to clean them up, get the varnish out, and check the floats.
Only thing I'd change is the blacked-out grille.

Well, all the trim except the bumpers have been blacked out. It will all be changed back to the OEM polished look. 8)
datsunfreak

Post by datsunfreak »

very nice find!
Are those fuel regulators on the firewall?
Yes, it has dual pumps and dual regulators. Seems to have been a common race mod in the 70s.
67 1/2 1600

Post by 67 1/2 1600 »

That dime is sweet! Howd you manage to find it! Always good to uncover those barn fresh cars....
datsunfreak

Post by datsunfreak »

Howd you manage to find it! Always good to uncover those barn fresh cars....
Bit of a weird story that... The owner emailed a friend of mine in Seattle who runs a 510 website. Asked him if he might know anyone who wants it, and since he knew me, I got the nod to go get it. :P

Just found out about it last Monday, and ran down there to get it. 8)
JoeK
Roadster Fanatic

Post by JoeK »

Super Sweet! That is a realy nice piece of history, about what I used to have in about '88, though I never managed to get a running motor in mine, lost the storage, and had to push it out on the street and wait for the city to come tow it away. A very sad day.

Nice find.
Joe
Former owner of:
'68 2L
BLK SRL
sold 12-11-2012