Speedo GPS retrofit question

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

nismou20
Roadsteraholic

Speedo GPS retrofit question

Post by nismou20 »

Has anyone tried this method or approach to converting Speedo to GPS? Seems the only caveat is Speedo square drive size and output knurled knob size. I want to keep my gauge original. Seems a cable shop could convert the end to fit the unit via a new Chevy connector. Does anyone see any possible cons to this? Yes I understand there are vendors that do conversions. https://youtu.be/-ZV0ExvV8u0?si=UfZaGKnCNMOwB1u7
2004 Chevy Tracker
2010 RAV4
1969 Datsun Roadster
2005 Lotus Elise
1995 Toyota Tercel (Poormans Corolla)
2001 Fleetwood Jamboree RV
Solex68
Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: Speedo GPS retrofit question

Post by Solex68 »

Have you talked to Frampton? He does many gauge repairs and conversion/s. He should post some photos of his work. I know it's A++ but I don't know all the options he offers.
The video you listed has some steep pricing.
Greg a.k.a SOLEX68 - http://www.datsunvents.com/
Laguna Hills, CA
68 2000
Always willing to help another Datsun Roadster owner
Pending installs: All steering components, Stan Stealth Dizzy
redroadster
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600

Post by redroadster »

It's not legal to touch the speedo head since
early 80s must be certified by state inspector
As long as you didn't pull the speedo head , no foul...Pop Secret s my fave brand
Last edited by redroadster on Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
DAC21
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by DAC21 »

This issue more or less came up a while back. (resetting milage on a rebuild) It got a bit heated. Getting my popcorn ready.
1967 1600 in waiting SPL311-09002 / R-28178
2018 Hyundai Elantra GT Sport Ultimate
nismou20
Roadsteraholic

Post by nismou20 »

My intention is just to accurize the stock Speedo due to tire sizes etc. In no way am I modifying the gauge, it stays original. It’s just a matter of modifying the cable end if the square drive is similar. Guess I’ll just DIY it. Just wondered if anyone’s went this way.
2004 Chevy Tracker
2010 RAV4
1969 Datsun Roadster
2005 Lotus Elise
rbhenderson
Roadster Nut

Post by rbhenderson »

Haven’t done this, but I did recently check function of my speedo with a square drive screw driver bit. Maybe you can mock something up that way…
redroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by redroadster »

What happens if the power is cut ...doesn't record miles or speeds ? It would in my opinion/ understanding
So that's a modifying act
Our Nissan used cars get ready tech quit to go work at a car stereo shop, he said working outside in good weather was so much better ( the used car air comp.was deafening )
Cops though were survieling them and booked him and another for possible odometer tampering , they checked and raised one guys prints off the back of the speedo assy., they ended up pleading no contest to the charges , to save $$
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

redroadster wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:21 am What happens if the power is cut ...doesn't record miles or speeds ? It would in my opinion/ understanding
So that's a modifying act
Our Nissan used cars get ready tech quit to go work at a car stereo shop, he said working outside in good weather was so much better ( the used car air comp.was deafening )
Cops though were survieling them and booked him and another for possible odometer tampering , they checked and raised one guys prints off the back of the speedo assy., they ended up pleading no contest to the charges , to save $$
I hear you and don't dispute your experience. However, I recently had my speedo rebuilt by a very long term business (Tacoma speedo, 30 years?) and when it came to the odometer they asked me what I wanted it to be (I selected all 000000 to help me track the new motors mileage). I don't know the legality of this, and I would think it it would be federal vs state. I own a very rare car, and some would argue that accurate mileage would be an issue should the car ever come up for sale (not while I'm alive!). Nevertheless, Tacoma speedo is no fly-by-night company and I would think they would be very cognizant of the potential consequences of the law... don't know what to think, but I'll be gone and only a ghost seen on the road to Mt Rainier if it ever becomes an issue!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
redroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by redroadster »

You think it would be federal vs State ?
It would be federal vs Greg Burrows or that speedo serv the fines are in $$$$$
Fbi has a ask a ? Email
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
david premo
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by david premo »

All you 311’s people viewing this specific thread, I worked for two of the largest instrument manufacturers in the world ND Denso, and VDO. One is the biggest automotive and motorcycle instrument manufacturers in Japan the other one of the biggest instrument manufacturers in Europe. What Redroadster is saying does NOT apply. I sold to instrument repair companies in most of the western states, Redroadster is wrong on this and is giving poor advice. When it comes to electronic speedometers sold by VDO to street rods in all 50 states that go through complete inspections prior to the issuing of licenses plates, they have no problem with the speedometers being used. So Redroadster if you want to contact the feds about what I just go for it, otherwise please give it a rest. FYI you cannot change the odometer on electronic speedometer as it will not write over the miles without replace the chip that records the miles.
Dave
redroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by redroadster »

Oh brother !! I ( a 30 yr dealership tech multiple asian brands & ase master tech ) am being schooled by hobbiests that can't understand
basic auto electronics ( the way DC current flows , many testing procedures ) and are trying to state there are no US laws that apply to any car mods you feel like doing ,I believe you have heard of them
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
nismou20
Roadsteraholic

Post by nismou20 »

So now does anyone know if a Chevy, Ford, or Mopar Speedo square cable are close in size to Datsun’s? All I would need to do is modify the trans end of Speedo cable to fit the gps adapter. I have an inclination that domestic cars have a larger diameter cable. Then I’m SOL !
2004 Chevy Tracker
2010 RAV4
1969 Datsun Roadster
2005 Lotus Elise
jhayden
Site Supporter

Post by jhayden »

Bill can answer your questions:

https://www.billsspeedo.com/

My previous thread re: adapting Chev TH350 tranny drive to oem 1968 SRL speedo gauge (160 mph):
viewtopic.php?p=306672&hilit=speedo+ada ... en#p306672

Jon
nismou20
Roadsteraholic

Post by nismou20 »

So Jon, Is the below quote from the actual measurements from the Datsun Speedo cable? Because 7/8”@ 18 TPI is exactly the Chevy trans end output connector that the GPS adapter comes with If correct I’m good to go. Sorry haven’t figured out how to hi light quotes.

I had recently replaced the speedo cable on our stock ’69 SRL, so I furnished these measurements to Tom:
5/8”x18 TPI nut at gauge end, 7/8”x18 TPI nut that screws onto the distributor (sorry, Greg, I couldn’t resist :P ),er, tranny, and 3/16” dimpled Datsun barrel also at tranny end
2004 Chevy Tracker
2010 RAV4
1969 Datsun Roadster
2005 Lotus Elise
jhayden
Site Supporter

Post by jhayden »

Yes, those measurements are correct for both Chev and Datsun. If you run into any problems, Bill can help you.

Anxious to hear how it goes!

Jon