General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Kuz1
Forum Newb
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Main and rod bearings

Post by Kuz1 »

I am new to Datsun , just trying to help a friend put the motor ,that a shop took apart in 2006, back together. It’s a 1969 1600 . Apparent the last guy ordered bearings for an “L” block , but this is an “R” block . Can anyone give me a source for bearings ?
MattC
Roadster Fanatic

Re: Main and rod bearings

Post by MattC »

I would start at datsunparts.com
Matt

1970 2000 #14204
2004 350Z Roadster
2014 Tundra

Williamsville, NY
Solex68
Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Solex68 »

Kuz1 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:02 pm I am new to Datsun , just trying to help a friend put the motor ,that a shop took apart in 2006, back together. It’s a 1969 1600 . Apparent the last guy ordered bearings for an “L” block , but this is an “R” block . Can anyone give me a source for bearings ?
R16 5 main bearing blocks and U20 blocks use the same bearings and they can be found on ebay often from older shops as well as datsunparts.com, sincitydatsuns.com, datsun-roadster-parts.com and probably datsunrestorationproducts.com as well.
You'll need to measure the crank to buy the correct size bearings.
I've had great experiences with all the vendors I listed.
Good luck and let us know the progress.
Greg a.k.a SOLEX68 - http://www.datsunvents.com/
Laguna Hills, CA
68 2000
Always willing to help another Datsun Roadster owner
Pending installs: SS brake lines, Stan Stealth Dizzy
Nissanman
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Nissanman »

As Solex68 mentioned, the crank and rod bearings need to be measured, competently, to ascertain what bearings are required.
This not something that I have ever trusted myself to do, it requires some whizz bang tools and perhaps machining of the surfaces to achieve.
Just my opinion, but I would outsource it to a decent engine shop and have them do the deed and then you will have the peace of mind that the correct items have been specified.
Shouldn't take long and may not be expensive to use their expertise.
Nissanman, just trying to help.
1965 SP310 Engine No. G-93326 Car No. SP310-10817
https://photos.shutterfly.com/album/60141836519
On the road again!
david premo
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000

Post by david premo »

All bearings are stamped on the backside with std or whatever size they are undersized to. If the crankshaft was re-ground then the machinist should have told you the size bearing to buy. If the crankshaft wasn’t re-sized then you would probably want to have it micro-polished to have a nice finish for the new bearings to break in on. Don’t forget to inspect the thrust bearing surface of your crankshaft.
Dave
Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

It may be that the L bearings were purchased in the correct size for whatever they did to the R crank. That is std, .010 or maybe .020. It might give you a starting point but in no way would I just buy R bearings in that size and put them in without a competent machinist looking at it.

Hopefully it wasn't ground for L engine journal size. L bearings are probably the wrong width too.

I took my G cranks for my R 1800 strokers in, they looked it up and ground them down. I had bought a stash of bearings in different sizes. The shops seem to have trouble finding the bearings unless you send them to a vendor. Just finished putting the first short block together.
66 stroker, almost done.
67 basket case, paint coming soon.