Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

JackAuffeltrades
Roadster Nut
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Loud tap

Post by JackAuffeltrades »

Picked up a loud tap after a long, hot drive yesterday. I checked the rockers and while I do see some work ahead in the future, and a new cam, I don't think that's the problem. The link is to a video I took last night. You can hear the sound at idle and it's much louder at higher RPM. The engine's running well, but for how much longer? I'm near Watkins Glen, trying to sort out the rest of the weekend and the trip home to Virginia. Might limp over for this evening and/or tomorrow's events (and potential help). Just wondering if what the collective had to say about the noise before I drove too much more. Any thoughts welcome and appreciated.
https://pilot168.smugmug.com/Roadster/i-zQmMMVn/A

Matt
redroadster
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600

Re: Loud tap

Post by redroadster »

Pull 1 plug wire at a time ,to see if it lessens or looses the knock
If so that's a rod ,possible a nut went into the cyl
at higher rpms it stays about the same ?
possible valve seat or guide loose , or anomaly in the valve train
Use a stethoscope to try to localize it
Last edited by redroadster on Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
JackAuffeltrades
Roadster Nut

Knock was pretty much unchanged through the test.
nismou20
Roadsteraholic

Post by nismou20 »

When you said checked the rockers, did you check the valve lash?
2004 Chevy Tracker
2010 RAV4
1969 Datsun Roadster
2005 Lotus Elise
1995 Toyota Tercel (Poormans Corolla)
2001 Fleetwood Jamboree RV
redroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by redroadster »

It sounded weak running to me
I do a completely cold compression test it's so easy to do why not
note the 1st pump psi ....possible a rusted cyl from setting centrifugal advance free & working?
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
JackAuffeltrades
Roadster Nut

Didn't check the valve lash at this time and compression has been pretty good. I'm out of town at the moment but will check what I can in the morning. Best candidate for the noise seems to be some nasty pitting on a cam lobe. The top end had shown enough wear when I bought it last year that I knew that its time was coming. I guess a long drive in hot weather got me to the rebuild sooner than expected. I guess the upside is, new parts!
That's my glass half full mindset at the moment.
Bwk2000
Roadsteraholic

Post by Bwk2000 »

+1 for valve lash
Kai
Halifax, N.S.
’69 SPL311 Sports 1600

Classic Cars - Because clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated.
david premo
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by david premo »

I will predict you have a rocker that the hard face has worn and that is the noise you are hearing.
Dave
redroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by redroadster »

are /have you turned the engine over with bump starter to see if a ,.002 of " larger feeler guage goes in at any point
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

After having gone through a "what the hell is that tapping noise" nightmare... I agree it sounds like valve train related and likely a rocker/cam lobe issue. It does not sound like my fractured wrist pin. I would pull the cam cover and check lash etc if you have not. If you don't see anything obvious then I might become concerned about a loose valve seat... I don't know if it could be found without pulling the head.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
JackAuffeltrades
Roadster Nut

The car got us home and I couldn't be more proud of her. I think all of your collective thoughts regarding the valve train are on target. The cam wasn't looking too good and I'm pretty sure that the rockers have probably lived a full life, and then some. I'll get in there and take some pictures in a few days when I get a chance to get under the hood. In the meantime, thanks for the advice and tips. This forum rocks. Cheers!
Last edited by JackAuffeltrades on Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
baxtersit
Roadster Nut

Post by baxtersit »

If you're really stuck Joe Russo lives in Watkins Glen. JRUSSO07@ROCHESTER.RR.COM
2019 VW Allroad 6 sp
1966 Datsun Roadster stroker
1966 Alfa Romeo Giulia 1300TI
2021 Ducati 950S
1883 Honda VF750F Interceptor
JackAuffeltrades
Roadster Nut

Okidoke, here's the update. Oooo boy. I was wrong originially. Must not have seen it for the oil. This is my first roadster so I hadn't adjusted the valves before, only seen them done. When I checked the lash I was getting the proper clearances but apparently that was only on one part of the rocker, in the center where there was a tiny bit of surface left. There was apparently some side to side rolling involved in the movement on the most problematic rocker. So, the one piece rockers were toast, two really bad and I had a nasty pitting on one of the cam lobes. A local Datsun whisperer friend hooked me up with some matching rockers and a cam and we're back on the road. This should hold me over as I cobble together the money and parts for the inevitable full rebuild. But in the meantime, it's roadster driving weather. Below are photos of the carnage for the collective memory. I appreciate the help from you guys as we were out of town. We salvaged a good time and made it home thanks to your help.
Cheers.
i-Xb7X3JV-X2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
david premo
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by david premo »

No your rocker arm geometry is off and that’s what destroyed them. Your engine must have a re-ground cam in it where the base circle was reduced enough that thicker lash pads would be required.
Dave
JackAuffeltrades
Roadster Nut

david premo wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:16 pm No your rocker arm geometry is off and that’s what destroyed them. Your engine must have a re-ground cam in it where the base circle was reduced enough that thicker lash pads would be required.
Dave
Thanks for the insight and input. Forgot to mention that the lash pads also came with the transplant set. There's a lot of work ahead on this one. I don't know the full history of this car and it's apparently got some oddities. It's an early '68 with a '67 hangover in a few places. Someone has obviously been in the engine before so I'd imagine there are some more uncovered mysteries. In a few months I hope to be able to get it properly rebuilt. I promised her some new parts if she got me back home. She held up her end and I'm looking forward to repaying the favor. :)