Early 1600s in hotly/high environments

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: Early 1600s in hotly/high environments

Post by Gregs672000 »

The problem was/is the fuel pump. As you found, the first electric was dead. Now the problem is that you're likely using a pusher pump and making it pull a long distance. The pump MUST be close to the tank and be a pusher. Cut the fuel line near the passenger rear wheel in two places to allow you to add the pump/filter and rubber lines and attach the pump to the frame rail in as safe a place as you can... that will work.

Those typical electric fuel pumps will burn out if you make them pullers. They will work for a while, but as you found out they are not that robust. I use one to supply fuel to the swirl tank for my EFI pump (and used one for years before going EFI). I went through at least 3 over the years, and carry replacements in my trunk for both low pressure and high pressure pumps from EXPERIENCE!

Good luck, drive like an idiot (Something I used to say to my mom when she would say "Drive safe!"... I'd say "No mom, I'm gonna drive like an idiot..."). Enjoy the rest of your trip... it will be fine!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Habitat.pat
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Habitat.pat »

Thanks, Greg. I mounted the NAPA pump about a foot from the tank, above the rear axle.

I've decided that it's time to end this trip. I am in a town I don't know with no support (except via the internet), on a 3-day weekend where lots of businesses are closed until Monday & I've lost belief that the problem will be solved easily or quickly. The only way I can get under the car is to find a high curb & run 2 wheels up on it. Tomorrow I will be calling U-haul to book a truck & car trailer. It's time to get this car home & into my shop.

Peace, Pat
67.5 SPL311 Stroker Restomod
Pat Horne, Near Austin, TX
We support Habitat for Humanity
A hand UP, not a hand OUT
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

Well, I hear ya man... sorry it worked out that way!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
theunz
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by theunz »

Pat, I certainly see why you would want to end your trip and get back home to address the problem, but now that you have had time to sleep on it might it not be worth another day to move the pump and see if that solves the problem? Another night in a hotel would sure be a lot less expensive than a U-Haul! Good luck with whatever you do and sorry to read of your trip disappointment’s. I’ve broke down on several trips, none in the Datsun though, and feel your pain.
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!