Raising Rear End

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Randalla
Roadster Fanatic

Raising Rear End

Post by Randalla »

Curious to know if anyone here has used lowering blocks to either raise or lower the rear end. I'm aware the proper way to do this is to have the springs re-arched. I'd like to raise the rear of my car no more than 1".
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: Raising Rear End

Post by Gregs672000 »

I have lowered mine with off the shelf the blocks. I have not RAISED the rear end. If the rear springs are sagging I would not suggest compensating in this manner as the spring is no longer doing its job and is de-arched. I too looked into re-arching a set of comp springs I'd run for years, but most places warned me that it might not last. Consider a set of Flex Form mono-leafs... they are much lighter, easier to handle and may provide a nicer ride. They will require having the front bushing mounts honed by a shop to accept the Roadster bushing, so there is some fiddling vs stock... pros and cons. Or see if someone local has a good used set...
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Alvin
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by Alvin »

You can lower or raise a leaf-sprung car with blocks. In the photo below a lowering block is placed between the axle housing and leaf spring to lower the roadster:

It is opposite to raise it.

You can also add a leaf to the leaf spring pack to raise the car. For a 1" height increase that's the best route, imho.
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

? If the white lowering block shown is removed, the rear end sits on the spring in the stock configuration. That is as high as it goes.

To raise the car further, you would need to machine a block to go between the rear spring mount and the frame, but it will only raise things about 1/2 the thickness of the block. So you would need a 2" block to raise the car approximately 1"-not a great plan.

(The lowering block shown above would lower the car the same amount as the thickness of the block)

Re-arching the springs is much easier for raising the car.
LT/JT
https://www.datsunrestorationproducts.com/
Only the very BEST parts for your Datsun- 10000's of items in stock
New, Used and Reproduction!
redroadster
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by redroadster »

I found a helper leaf spring ( a short extra curved leaf ) for a 620 datsun PU that reached the springs to give body lift
I put 185 75 tires on it , takes the squat out
JC Whitney's had them , not sure now though
https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/1974-Niss ... lsrc=aw.ds
It's been 20 something years but think I removed my factory bottom leaf and used this one
Exp13120 is part # $40
Last edited by redroadster on Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
ADR
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by ADR »

Great info everyone. I'm building a 66 from boxes, so this may come in handy.... Thanks!
1966 SPL311-1139 KA24DE
Longwood, FL