Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

DKB59
Roadster Nut
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Another lighting problem

Post by DKB59 »

‘68 1600:
Just finished putting this car back together. Cleaned and inspected all the wiring harnesses and connectors before installing. Problem is when I turn on the lights the turn signals also come on steady both front and back (top bulbs only). I verified power for both bulb elements at the socket connections. The brake lights work correctly on the bottom set of rear lights. The turn signals don’t work. The turn signal lights on the dash come on steady but no lights on at all front or back. The hazards don’t work. Both lights on the dash come on steady. Not lights on front or back. Took apart the hazard switch and hazard and turn signal cans and they are are intact, clean and appear to be ok. The turn signal switch and harness are clean and appear ok. Somewhere there is power going to both bulb filaments when the lights are switched on. I’ve traced all the wiring using the schematics in the wiki and everything looks like it’s connected properly. I do not have a headlight relay in. Didn’t think that would matter with just the parking lights on. Don’t know where to go from here.
Looking to the electrical gurus for some guidance.
Help! Thanks!
Nissanman
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Re: Another lighting problem

Post by Nissanman »

Just a wild one but have a look at the dual filament globes, brake/tail: make sure they are inserted correctly and not shorting out the contacts in the light sockets.
It is wise to remove the globes from the sockets when doing checks on the wiring, then when confirmed correct, re-insert the globes paying particular attention to their pin outs and correct orientation.
Hope this helps :smt006
Nissanman, just trying to help.
1965 SP310 Engine No. G-93326 Car No. SP310-10817
https://photos.shutterfly.com/album/60141836519
On the road again!
DKB59
Roadster Nut

Post by DKB59 »

I’ve taken the bulbs out of the sockets and also disconnected the socket wires from the harness connectors. I can verify power at the harness connectors.
Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

66 stroker, almost done.
67 basket case, paint coming soon.
DKB59
Roadster Nut

Post by DKB59 »

Thank you Curtis. I have been using this schematic along with the factory wiring diagram to troubleshoot. I can’t seem to find where there is a possibility for the turn signal wires to be connected to the park and tail light wires. I must be missing something somewhere.
Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

I would check that all wires are matched to the correct wire in each plug. Engine harness and rear harness connections. Also the turn signal plug. This would be based on either you removed the wires from the connectors to clean them or a previous owner did.
66 stroker, almost done.
redroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by redroadster »

I'd unplug the TS flasher and put a jumper wire in instead then the TS lites should stay lit w the swt. to trouble shoot
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
DKB59
Roadster Nut

Post by DKB59 »

I received this car in pieces so I have no history of previous work. The harnesses are original to the car and I checked and cleaned all the connectors when I put the harness back in the car. None of the lights are original but the wiring lines up with the wiring diagram. On the hazard switch there is a black wire with a spade connector that wasn’t attached to anything. I assume this is a ground so I connected it to chassis ground. Made no difference. On the switch wiring diagram there is a black wire that doesn’t show going anywhere. This corresponds to the black wire I hooked up. Continuing to troubleshoot.
DKB59
Roadster Nut

Post by DKB59 »

Forgot to add, both sides of the hazard can and turn signal cans have power on them all the time (with or without the light switch on). Does this make sense? I disconnected both cans and both filaments (light and turn signal) are still on when I turn the light switch on.
david premo
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000

Post by david premo »

So DKB59, if you acquired this car as a basket case you really don’t know if all the components are correct for the year car you are working on. A while back I had a 69 that I was trying to get everything to work on after a guy named Ray Rod Ray had worked on it. I was having similar issues, as many things were not working properly and what I discovered was that it had the wrong turn signal switch and four way flasher switch installed. The guy had purchased the wrong switches for the car and a 68 turn signal switch and four way flasher switch for a 68 were used. After digging into the harness and installing the correct switches things were looking up. So what you might want to do is make sure that you are working with the correct components for the year of car you are working on.
Dave
DKB59
Roadster Nut

Post by DKB59 »

Valid point. I’m confident the wiring harness is original to the car and is correct for a ‘68. There are connectors for rear side marker lights even though ‘68 cars did not have them. This is a late ‘68 car so it may have some early ‘69 pieces. I don’t know if the flashers are correct for a ‘68 but they look good when I opened them up. Same for the hazard and turn signal switches which are original to the car. The mystery continues!
Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

Disconnect the black wire, it is not a ground but for an optional light. Might be why your lights don't work.
66 stroker, almost done.
Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

Disconnect the black wire, it is not a ground but for an optional light. Might be why your lights don't work.

This will show you. 67.5 and 68 flasher switch are the same.

https://kendo-usa.org/datsun/675flasher.pdf
Last edited by Curtis on Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
66 stroker, almost done.
Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

Delete
66 stroker, almost done.
david premo
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000

Post by david premo »

So the quickest way to ID the 68 wiring harness vs all other years is the number of fuses, only a 68 has 6 fuses. 67.5 and back have only 4 fuses, and 69/70 have 10 fuses.
Dave