Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

StevenFisher
Roadster Newby
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Brake question

Post by StevenFisher »

OK just fishing for people experience and knowledge. I have a brake system that is in my car that is dot 5. Not sure why the owner before me went this way but Im here and Im trying to solve a leak in my front calipers brake line that the fitting may be striped. I’m losing fluid slowly so I want to resolve the leak. Friend gave me a caliper to use but its dot 4. Doing research tells me this could be problematic if there are traces of dot 4 in the old caliper. So it leaves me with a couple questions for the Datsun experts out there.

1. Can I clean an old caliper of dot 4 and use it on my dot 5 system safely?
2. If I bought a new caliper, can I just replace the old one with it and use dot 5 with new brake lines.
3. If I wanted to purchase a completely new brake system. Everything, lines, calipers , drums, master blab la bla . Where would I go and what would folks recommend.

Thanks for your thoughts.
I have 14 inch rims at the moment. Could move to 15s if it was important enough. Planned to get 15 parasports at some point so this may be the time to do it
jr02518
Roadster Fanatic
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: Brake question

Post by jr02518 »

You should confirm that he used 5.0, it could be 5.1, there is a difference. I use 5.1 in my cars, that included the Datsun.

There are a number of vendors on the site, let you fingers do the shopping. Everything is available. Shop service and availability of the parts you need.

Make sure you are sitting down when you realize how much every is costing you.
redroadster
Roadsteraholic
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: Brake question

Post by redroadster »

Your car is .....a 311 ?
Per the technical trainers at Mitsubishi and my personal experience NO you shouldn't mix or even try to clean out the system as the fluid is in the seal . plus the safety switch that can't be cleaned out ,bled out .
10 or 12 years ago on my eclipse ,needed a clutch MC , so I thought I'd replace the slave too and break kleen the lines and use the silicone dot 5 type as its good for the seals as opposed to dot 3 I for got about that this car has a hydro multiplier component in the system that has a tiny tank ( it had been inop for yrs but functions still minus the multiply)
It worked fine e for 2 months but in the hot summer it. Stuck down it turns to a particles that's in the center is like a rubber rock the outside like sticky flypaper goo
Update , I have a 250cc enduro bike months ago I layer it down in grass went to ride it and the frt. Brake was weak but came back also the pads are down , weeks ago I thought I'd check the tiny reservoir ,it was 70 % but I thought to add a bit of fluid and added some that was close by on the floor by the 311 .....lately my frt brake is starting to get stiff
I mistakenly put that 5 dot fluid In
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster