Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Solex68
Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: ignition switch issues

Post by Solex68 »

On the 68 you will want to separate the mechanical part from the electrical and confirm which type you have. Kanto Seiki or WASO type as the electrical part should match the mechanical part.
** The T or other inside shaped hole does not distinguish if it is WASO or Kanto Seiki **
image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg a.k.a SOLEX68 - http://www.datsunvents.com/
Laguna Hills, CA
68 2000
Always willing to help another Datsun Roadster owner
Pending installs: SS brake lines, Stan Stealth Dizzy
johnscf
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by johnscf »

Solex68 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 1:05 pm On the 68 you will want to separate the mechanical part from the electrical and confirm which type you have. Kanto Seiki or WASO type as the electrical part should match the mechanical part.
Kanto Seiki is on the left and WASO on the right, I believe.
image.png
Thanks. I have one like the one on the right. Most of the ones I see listed for sale look like the one on the left with two small prongs (I assume for mounting) The prongs would be at 1 and 7 o’clock in your picture. Apologies in advance if this is a stupid questions and something everybody knows but what do the R A IG S B etc refer to in the description of the various electric portions of the switch?
Charlie
Grafton WV
68 2000
70 1600
71 Toyota Celica ST coupe
74 Toyota Celica GT coupe
DAC21
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by DAC21 »

johnscf wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 3:06 pm
Solex68 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 1:05 pm On the 68 you will want to separate the mechanical part from the electrical and confirm which type you have. Kanto Seiki or WASO type as the electrical part should match the mechanical part.
image.png
Thanks. I have one like the one on the right. Most of the ones I see listed for sale look like the one on the left with two small prongs (I assume for mounting) The prongs would be at 1 and 7 o’clock in your picture. Apologies in advance if this is a stupid questions and something everybody knows but what do the R A IG S B etc refer to in the description of the various electric portions of the switch?
B = Battery

S = Starter

A = Accessory

IG = Ignition

R = Relay
1967 1600 in waiting SPL311-09002 / R-28178
2018 Hyundai Elantra GT Sport Ultimate
johnscf

Post by johnscf »

DAC21 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 3:19 pm
johnscf wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 3:06 pm
image.png
B = Battery

S = Starter

A = Accessory

IG = Ignition

R = Relay
Thanks for the info. The one I am trying to replace is like this
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Charlie
Grafton WV
68 2000
70 1600
unklpat
Roadster Fanatic

Post by unklpat »

I had similar issues on my 68, had purchased other switches. A local locksmith explained that over years and with moisture added, corrosion occurred. A $10 can of Corrosionx, along with removing the electrical portion from the locking part, solved my problem. It is important to saturate the internals and operate the switch in other than stock orientations. The hardest part was the tiny little bolts holding the 2 housings together. Plan on lowering your column a bit to get to the upper bolt. Next up is my headlight and then wiper. Pat
Solex68
Site Supporter

Post by Solex68 »

If you can't find one elsewhere, I have a new one I sell sell for $75 which includes shipping, but others may have one as well.
Laguna Hills, CA
68 2000
johnscf

Post by johnscf »

Solex68 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 6:31 pm If you can't find one elsewhere, I have a new one I sell sell for $75 which includes shipping, but others may have one as well.
PM sent
Charlie
Grafton WV
68 2000
70 1600
unklpat
Roadster Fanatic

Post by unklpat »

CorrosionX, $10.00. I spent 10 times more than that before ending up with my original switch. Pat
unklpat
Roadster Fanatic

Post by unklpat »

I spent a bunch of money chasing this problem, only to end up with my original clean switch. CorrosionX for the win. Pat
johnscf

Post by johnscf »

unklpat wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 6:09 pm I had similar issues on my 68, had purchased other switches. A local locksmith explained that over years and with moisture added, corrosion occurred. A $10 can of Corrosionx, along with removing the electrical portion from the locking part, solved my problem. It is important to saturate the internals and operate the switch in other than stock orientations. The hardest part was the tiny little bolts holding the 2 housings together. Plan on lowering your column a bit to get to the upper bolt. Next up is my headlight and then wiper. Pat
Mine doesn’t have any bolts holding the 2 pieces together. The electrical and the mechanical (key part) pieces fit together and have a plastic ring that snaps over the back of the electrical piece to hold it in place
Charlie
Grafton WV
68 2000
70 1600
unklpat
Roadster Fanatic

Post by unklpat »

that doesn't sound correct for a 68, but regardless, all you have to do is work the electrical portion of the switch with the cleaner in it. usually there are 3 6mm bolts connecting the locking portion to the electrical portion. I think you might be surprised. Pat
Solex68
Site Supporter

Post by Solex68 »

[/quote]
Mine doesn’t have any bolts holding the 2 pieces together. The electrical and the mechanical (key part) pieces fit together and have a plastic ring that snaps over the back of the electrical piece to hold it in place
[/quote]

Mine is the same...
Laguna Hills, CA
68 2000
unklpat
Roadster Fanatic

Post by unklpat »

I've worked on 3 other ones. I think what we are missing here is that the problem is corrosion. That can be solved. You can go buy new switches, or clean the ones you have. I spent several trips to a locksmith, several used switches, and then solved my problem. I would say most of the switches in our cars suffer from corrosion. Should we replace them all, or spend a few dollars cleaning them? Pat
johnscf

Post by johnscf »

unklpat wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 9:36 pm I've worked on 3 other ones. I think what we are missing here is that the problem is corrosion. That can be solved. You can go buy new switches, or clean the ones you have. I spent several trips to a locksmith, several used switches, and then solved my problem. I would say most of the switches in our cars suffer from corrosion. Should we replace them all, or spend a few dollars cleaning them? Pat
I’m certainly going to try cleaning but it will be nice to have a spare as a back up just in case.
Charlie
Grafton WV
68 2000
70 1600