General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

mwegener111
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Clanging/banging sound come from right rear on left turns

Post by mwegener111 »

I am getting a scary sound from my '69 2000.I only hear it when, from a dead stop, I accelerate into a left turn. It sounds like a clanking banging thumping noise and you can feel the vibration in the body/frame on the passenger side. My wife took a video to capture the sound (YouTube link). This is a new build will all new bearings, shocks, brakes and springs. Before I start digging into it, I am hoping someone may have an idea what could be causing the problem. Again only on left turns, and most evident accelerating into a left turn.

Any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated.

https://youtu.be/LgirW4qopak
david premo
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Re: Clanging/banging sound come from right rear on left turns

Post by david premo »

Check the torque link on the passenger side housing to the frame. Sounds like it might have come loose at one end. Also check all the bolts and nuts attaching the suspension to the frame as well.
Dave
redroadster
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600

Post by redroadster »

That buzzing is the exhaust ? Or U joint rust
Maybe a rusted wheel bearing Plus another problem I've seen quite a number of the Axle housing bent back from Chuck holes too
Get the rear axle on Jack stands to you can carefully get under it ( 1st so you can see under it from the side) while another runs it in gear if your comfortable doing that
A large rubber mallet to tap the components finds some
Last edited by redroadster on Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
mwegener111
Roadster Fanatic

Post by mwegener111 »

david premo wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 4:07 pm Check the torque link on the passenger side housing to the frame. Sounds like it might have come loose at one end. Also check all the bolts and nuts attaching the suspension to the frame as well.
Dave
Thanks David, I'll crawl under in the morning and check it out.
Bwk2000
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600

Post by Bwk2000 »

In the video, it sounds like there is a brief pause in the noise just as you (presumably) are straightening out the wheels after the turn, then it sounds like there is one final grind/shutter after the pause and just before everything goes back to normal. This leads me to believe it may be a clearance issue with your tires on suspension components or the wheel well (inside or outside) and with a last corrective ‘flex’ of the tires when you suddenly straighten up. If that’s the case, it should be easy enough to spot the tire rubbing marks on the body or suspension with a good flashlight while you’re under there. Also, although it may sound/feel like it’s coming from the right side, check both sides as this can often be deceiving - Good Luck!
Kai
Halifax, N.S.
’69 SPL311 Sports 1600

Classic Cars - Because clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated.
spyder
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by spyder »

Does it make the noise coasting through the turn?
mwegener111
Roadster Fanatic

Post by mwegener111 »

spyder wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:44 pm Does it make the noise coasting through the turn?
Not really, the faster I go the more noise it makes. A slow turn I don't hear anything, with increasing speeds the more the rattle. thumping. I checked all the suspension and it is solid. There is no wear on the tires or marks on the suspension or wheel wells. I'm thinking it could be the drive shaft, u-joints, exhaust, or even old bushings in the torque rod. I'm running JT's stainless exhaust and wondering if it is hitting the frame or banging around a little. Everything is new or refurbished on the suspension. I'm running MY springs up front, JT's Bilstein setup, and Deans stock rate Rear leaf lowering springs.
Hard to nail where the sound is coming from, but you can feel it when it is happening, though it doesn't seem to affect performance.
jrusso07
Roadsteraholic

Post by jrusso07 »

Certainly check the u-joints... look for any scrap marks on the drive shaft and that the bolts to the differential flange are tight. Also check the integrity of the torque rod bracket on the top of the rear axel tube. I have had that weld break before and it's hard to tell. Let axel hand on springs and push up on rod.

Lastly, I had a similar noise, but it did not happen on a turn. I thought it was a wheel bearing but when I dug into it, I found two things, a few relatively loose lug nuts on the rear wheel (after market). and the brake drum wasn't fully seated. My guess is that my wheel was "bouncing" a small amount against the drum. After I reset everything to the correct position, no more noise.
Joe

1969 SRL311 - Solex
1970 SPL311 - U20 mod
1970 SRL311
FergO2k

Post by FergO2k »

Sounds like you can rule out exhaust. (Hah, didn't mean to include a pun)
That usually sounds off when idling, especially when cold and a bit unbalanced, as the loosey-goosey engine mounts leave a lot of play.
Exhaust wouldn't (shouldn't) be related to turning.
I have had the brake backing plate sound off, but that was more a whine as the dented plate started to touch things on cornering, not a clunk.
Fergus O
69 2L, SUs (driver, not susceptible to polish)
02 Tacoma 4 door (sold at 300k miles!)
2017 Honda Ridgeline (2021 purchase)
Los Alamitos, CA
mwegener111
Roadster Fanatic

Post by mwegener111 »

Finally an update. I found the Transmission mount completely torn apart. This was a brand new mount with less the 30 miles on it. I bought it off of EBay. It is a polyurethane transmission mount that was crap. I replaced it with one from Dean and no more Clanking/Banging. Glad I found it before I did any major damage. Beware of some of the crap that gets sold out there
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

Thanks for finishing out the thread. Glad you got it fixed... crazy!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA