Solvang hotel prices

People can post things here such as upcoming runs, car shows and events!

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

datsun1500
Roadsteraholic

Re: Solvang hotel prices

Post by datsun1500 »

GeoffM wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:29 pm
datsun1500 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:41 pm There are worse problems to have than the cost of a room when you take your extra car on a weekend vacation trip. Seems like an odd thing to get upset about.
You find it odd for someone to be miffed that a hotel room has more than doubled in price from one year to the next?

:lol:

How much did Roadster values go up in that time? No one’s complaining about that….

They have a business to run, and need to make a profit. If it’s too high it’ll sit vacant, but even at the high prices, they were full, so looks like they were undercharging for years, be glad they kept it low for many years instead of offended they charged market value.
I remember when no one wanted the 1500s......
Gladisco
Roadster Newby
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Gladisco »

Thanks Alvin I appreciate the comprehensive reply and your experience not to mention your roadsters. You set the bar high both with your cars and online prowess. Not at all opposed to camping, Flying flags looks nice but for not much more I booked up a room in Solvang. Now to get my electrical sorted…
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

Gladisco wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:36 am Thanks Alvin I appreciate the comprehensive reply and your experience not to mention your roadsters. You set the bar high both with your cars and online prowess. Not at all opposed to camping, Flying flags looks nice but for not much more I booked up a room in Solvang. Now to get my electrical sorted…
Gladisco wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:36 am Thanks Alvin I appreciate the comprehensive reply and your experience not to mention your roadsters. You set the bar high both with your cars and online prowess. Not at all opposed to camping, Flying flags looks nice but for not much more I booked up a room in Solvang. Now to get my electrical sorted…
Good work! You will love Solvang. If you don't mind sharing, what hotel did you choose? I love the different vibes/character of each place there.

Yeah, Flying Flags was such a great spot I have fond memories of camping there with my wife before/after kids. Right across the street from Mendenhall's gas station Museum/roadster social too. I suggested trying one of their "cottages" to the wife for fun and she's like "nope" for that price lets' stay at a hotel with a pool and free breakfast :lol:

datsun1500 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:15 pm
datsun1500 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:41 pm There are worse problems to have than the cost of a room when you take your extra car on a weekend vacation trip. Seems like an odd thing to get upset about.
You find it odd for someone to be miffed that a hotel room has more than doubled in price from one year to the next?

How much did Roadster values go up in that time? No one’s complaining about that….

They have a business to run, and need to make a profit. If it’s too high it’ll sit vacant, but even at the high prices, they were full, so looks like they were undercharging for years, be glad they kept it low for many years instead of offended they charged market value.
I see both sides of the coin here. Personally it is annoying to see rates jacked up for that one day/weekend you want to stay, but it's been that way for years. To me, it's only once a year, so I don't fret too much. I also don't feel that "boycotting" is a solution either, unless the service sucked. I patronize Solvang only 4-6 times a year. I don't want to see any of those businesses close so I pay whatever, or shop around and stay elsewhere.
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
GeoffM
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by GeoffM »

datsun1500 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:15 pm

I get it. I'm not denying anyone from making whatever profit they deem the market will bare. Inflation has been crazy the last couple of years and everybody's costs are through the roof. I've had to give that speech over and over the last few years to my clients when we're pushing through price increases.
But to say people have nothing to complain about because the car/house/wristwatch/whatever market has also gone through the roof doesn't make sense to me. It's a cost of living issue...and living costs get paid through cash flow, not assets. The only people who don't have anything to complain about are people who's paycheque is pegged to inflation. That would be sweet!
Geoff
1969 SPL-311
funkaholik
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600

Post by funkaholik »

"paycheque is pegged to inflation. That would be sweet!"

Yes, please!
Erik Miller
Concord, CA
1970 Datsun SPL311-29945, owned since '95. Back on the road in 2022!
1967 Mustang, 428, 5 speed
1981 VW Rabbit Truck, 1.6 turbo diesel
...Oh, and a daily driver.
viewtopic.php?t=19067
Gladisco
Roadster Newby

Post by Gladisco »

We are booked at Svensgaard inn. Got some breakfast thrown in, any good the place/food? Looking forward to my first Danishes and Datsun fest.

I Ordered new tires and they, Yokohama avenzas, were supposed to be installed today but my tire guy didn’t get ‘em so I took a spirited drive up Mt Madonna and down 156 and through the hinterland of Watsonville on my 20 year old tires.
I am in love with this car. I have never owned a sports car but have had motorcycles and road and mtb’ed a bunch so I have a pretty good handle on the local tarmac.

Anywho I digressed, still stumped on my turn signals and fuel/temp Gauge issues. I have been researching and trouble shooting to no avail. Concerned about making multi hundred mile trip sans temp gauge mostly, I can live with the other’s out.
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

Glad you're enjoying the car Gladisco! I've often said there just nothing like a convertible in the Mountains or like. A bit more comfortable than a bike, and my wife can make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches at 90mph, and feed me!

Check the ground for your temp guage... they ground through a metal tang in the gasket itself and often go bad. Wrapping a bared wire around the housing the temp sensor slides into (the piece with the hex head) and run that wire to a ground may solve your issue. That's how I do mine. I'll post a pic... wire can be held temporarily by a small zip tie, or like in my case I used a little industrial glue, just make sure the metal contacts the sensor housing. If you ground the sensor wire itself your guage should go full hot if it's working correctly. Pic posted upside down but is correct when selected.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Gladisco
Roadster Newby

Post by Gladisco »

Greg - thanks for the reply. I tried something similar by grounding to the frame. Gauge doesn't move grounded direct from wire either, I am thinking it is my voltage regulator on the steering column and trying to source one to test. Blinkers I think is the switch or actuator on the column as well.
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

Gladisco wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:34 am We are booked at Svensgaard inn. Got some breakfast thrown in, any good the place/food? Looking forward to my first Danishes and Datsun fest.
We've stayed there it is nice! You'll want to dine outside of a hotel so here are my favorite breakfast spots:
Pancakes at Paula's:
http://www.paulaspancakehouse.com/

Waffles at The Belgian Cafe:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-belgian-cafe-solvang

So many more places to try!
We also get a few tub of cookies from Mortensen's Bakery:
http://www.mortensensbakery.com/

Gladisco wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:34 am so I took a spirited drive up Mt Madonna and down 156 and through the hinterland of Watsonville on my 20 year old tires.
Let me know next time you go for a drive I'm always looking for an excuse to get out!
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread