Solvang hotel prices

People can post things here such as upcoming runs, car shows and events!

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

david premo
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Solvang hotel prices

Post by david premo »

Wow what is up with the hotels in Solvang, I got a call from the Svengaard hotel yesterday about my room. They told me my new rate of $340.00 compared to last year at $150.00. After they got done telling me about the new outrageous rates I let them know that I canceled my room a few months ago because of family commitments. They thanked me and asked if I wanted a room next year. I told them I would get back to them. Unbelievable how much they want for a room! I can’t believe they have the gall to charge these kinds of prices. Motel 6 is $299.00 a night! I guess they don’t need to leave a light on for me.
Dave
bakerjf
Site Supporter

Re: Solvang hotel prices

Post by bakerjf »

I was surprised how much prices have gone up too, but I just looked at Expedia and the Motel 6 in Buellton has rooms this weekend for $112/night… Svengaard shows a room at $185 too. Not sure what you’re using?
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)
david premo
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by david premo »

John I had a standing reservation from last year when I checked out after the show. They called me a day ago to inform me of the rate change and that’s when I found out about the new rate. At that time I told them I had already canceled my reservation for the weekend. But I was shocked by the $340.00 a night that they said my room was going to cost.
Dave
Bwk2000
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Bwk2000 »

We’re seeing the same ridiculous price gouging north of the border with hotel rooms and rental car costs. Some prices have shot up more than 100% since pre-COVID days. Why? Because they can. After being basically incarcerated for two years in our homes, everyone now wants to get out and travel - Low hotel vacancy rates & rental car inventory means these providers can demand a premium for the same old goods & services (hence the ‘price gouging’).

I always try and remember the more expensive ones that are taking advantage of people so I can avoid sharing my money with them in the future when they’re hurting for business.
Kai
Halifax, N.S.
’69 SPL311 Sports 1600

Classic Cars - Because clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated.
bossbob
Site Supporter

Post by bossbob »

Glad I'm only 1.5 hours away.
68 Roadster 1600
70 Boss 302
65 K-Code Fastback
69 Mach 1 393 Stroker 5 spd
63.5 Galaxy Conv. 427 Dual Carb, 4 spd
72 Ranchero
65 GT Coupe
Gladisco
Roadster Newby

Post by Gladisco »

We are the proud new owners of a ‘68 roadster that is just being reborn ie not the belle of the ball. Things are looking good for our first Solvang run from Santa Cruz. Well, until i starting looking for lodging last week and ouch. Lodging is starting at $225/night. Question- is Lompoc too far out? For the same price one can get a suite with breakfast, or would it be better to stay close in?

The roadster is shabby and it will be our first as active participants at a car show per se. I ushered at the concorso italiano about 10 years ago, mind numbing the amount of insane cars but hard to relate culturally. I guess if I had a priceless Iso and a gulf stream I would roll different.

Looks to be 30 minutes away, if anyone has any input, I would appreciate it
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

Gladisco wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:27 am We are the proud new owners of a ‘68 roadster that is just being reborn ie not the belle of the ball. Things are looking good for our first Solvang run from Santa Cruz. Well, until i starting looking for lodging last week and ouch. Lodging is starting at $225/night. Question- is Lompoc too far out? For the same price one can get a suite with breakfast, or would it be better to stay close in?

The roadster is shabby and it will be our first as active participants at a car show per se. I ushered at the concorso italiano about 10 years ago, mind numbing the amount of insane cars but hard to relate culturally. I guess if I had a priceless Iso and a gulf stream I would roll different.

Looks to be 30 minutes away, if anyone has any input, I would appreciate it
Lompoc is not far off and a great place to stay. Buellton is also much cheaper and literally a 7minute drive to the show.
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
datsun1500
Roadsteraholic

Post by datsun1500 »

There are worse problems to have than the cost of a room when you take your extra car on a weekend vacation trip. Seems like an odd thing to get upset about.
I remember when no one wanted the 1500s......
funkaholik
Roadster Fanatic

Post by funkaholik »

Yes, there are worse problems to have, and I'm sure we're all grateful for our health and our good fortune to be in a position to have an extra car (or 3) when some people don't have clean drinking water or have bombs falling around them. I think the principle of being told you're going to pay $340 for the same room that you paid $150 for last year is the thing that's upset people. The room is the same, and I'll bet it's back to $150 on a slower weekend that doesn't have hundreds of Datsun fans looking for a place to stay. Price gouging is ugly and unnecessary, and I like Kai's plan of remembering who the worst offenders are and not giving them your business.
Erik Miller
Concord, CA
1970 Datsun SPL311-29945, owned since '95
1967 Mustang, 428, 5 speed
1981 VW Rabbit Truck, 1.6 turbo diesel
...Oh, and a daily driver.
viewtopic.php?t=19067
nismou20
Roadsteraholic

Post by nismou20 »

Flying Flags RV resort just off the frwy in Buellton has cottages, cabins with all amenities. Can’t say much for prices as it’s been awhile since I’ve stayed there. Very convenient as it’s minutes from Solvang.
2004 Chevy Tracker
2010 RAV4
1969 Datsun Roadster
2005 Lotus Elise
1995 Toyota Tercel (Poormans Corolla)
2001 Fleetwood Jamboree RV
nismou20
Roadsteraholic

Post by nismou20 »

Flying Flags RV resort just off the frwy in Buellton has cottages, cabins with all amenities. Can’t say much for prices as it’s been awhile since I’ve stayed there. Very convenient as it’s minutes from Solvang.
2004 Chevy Tracker
2010 RAV4
1969 Datsun Roadster
2005 Lotus Elise
1995 Toyota Tercel (Poormans Corolla)
2001 Fleetwood Jamboree RV
Gladisco
Roadster Newby

Post by Gladisco »

nismou20 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:19 pm Flying Flags RV resort just off the frwy in Buellton has cottages, cabins with all amenities. Can’t say much for prices as it’s been awhile since I’ve stayed there. Very convenient as it’s minutes from Solvang.
Thanks I will check it, right after I throw another stack of 100’s to keep the fire going here?
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

Gladisco wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:42 pm
nismou20 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:19 pm Flying Flags RV resort just off the frwy in Buellton has cottages, cabins with all amenities. Can’t say much for prices as it’s been awhile since I’ve stayed there. Very convenient as it’s minutes from Solvang.
Thanks I will check it, right after I throw another stack of 100’s to keep the fire going here?
Here's my 2 cents on hotels for the Solvang Show, as I've stayed at several places with/out family since 2001....
If this is your first time, I highly recommend staying in Solvang. Find a place within your budget. Staying here means you can experience all the little town has to offer. Be in the mix of Datsuns and their owners everywhere. Wine/dine within walking distance. Have a place to crash within walking distance. Totally worth it, imho.
My favorite place to have breakfast:

If you are looking for just Friday night lodging/cheaper rates, consider Buellton. It's the choice for I'd say 60% of show attendees. The Motel 6 in Buellton is its own mini-roadster show in the parking lot---it's that popular. Also literally a 7-minute drive to downtown Solvang, along a very scenic road.

As Tom mentioned above, Flying Flags RV was a sweet spot for us car campers/RV-ers back in the day. It has since gone "upscale" with glamping options, yurts, cottages etc. When I last checked pricing, a standard hotel room was cheaper :D

Lompoc, Lake Cachuma, Santa Ynes, even Paso Robles are all great places to stay.

Lastly, if you are inclined, do a banzai run. My standard practice was to leave San Jose at 5am and roll straight into the show by 8:45am. NO hotel needed :lol:
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
Public_Impressor
Forum Newb

Post by Public_Impressor »

Motel 6 prices giving you sticker shock too? It's like they're all going premium or something.
GeoffM
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by GeoffM »

datsun1500 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:41 pm There are worse problems to have than the cost of a room when you take your extra car on a weekend vacation trip. Seems like an odd thing to get upset about.
You find it odd for someone to be miffed that a hotel room has more than doubled in price from one year to the next?

:lol:
Geoff
1969 SPL-311