First Datsun! 68 SRL in Central PA

Here you can introduce yourself to the group.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

AmishRoadster
Roadster Newby
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

First Datsun! 68 SRL in Central PA

Post by AmishRoadster »

Hey Everyone!
I just noticed there was an introductions section after I started asking a bunch of questions to group. I picked up my 68 SRL in October 2021 and it took me almost a year to get it on the road. The car was actually bought on accident on ebay by an uncle of mine (put in a bid and didnt expect to win it!) in 2012. He ended up not having room for it so it sat in a trailer until I picked it up. Apparently the car was used as a movie prop in CA. I decided to take the plunge and see what I could do, even though my experience was just simple bolt on stuff and oil changes (although I did watch Wheeler Dealers and took notes!). The brakes were seized, gas tank smelled like varnish and had pin hole leaks, flat tires, no rubber boots on suspension components, and rusty floor pans that have what looks like a surf board repair kit used to patch the floor. I did turn the motor manually to see if it was seized, which it wasn't, so I figured it would not be that hard to get on the road (HAHAHAHAHA)
So far I replaced all the brakes components and made new brake lines, installed the volvo brake swap on front, new fuel lines and repaired the gas tank, fixed leaking radiator, new water pump, tires and powder coated the wheels, new distributor, wires, spark plugs, clutch slave cylinder, battery, and switched the lights over to LED. Through all this I was questioning if I should continue with the car or maybe sell it but once I drove it for the first time...there was no going back! I got a few hundred miles on it I did notice some issues with leaking transmission and some loud noises from the motor at high RPMs, which I have gotten great trouble shooting responses back on my questions. I gotta give a shout out to everyone on this forum and all the content within, I would have given up a long time ago!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1968 Roadster 2000
1963 Ford Galaxie 500
Habitat.pat
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Re: First Datsun! 68 SRL in Central PA

Post by Habitat.pat »

Looks like a good start! Ask any questions you have.

Peace, Pat
67.5 SPL311 Stroker Restomod
Pat Horne, Near Austin, TX
We support Habitat for Humanity
A hand UP, not a hand OUT
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

Ah Ha! So the back story comes out... makes sense! You're doing a great job, thanks for the story!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

Congratulations on getting it running! Cool story!
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...