Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Habitat.pat
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Re: Fuel flow problem on 67.5

Post by Habitat.pat »

Where? it wouldn't hurt to put one on, even with my brand new tank.
67.5 SPL311 Stroker Restomod
Pat Horne, Near Austin, TX
We support Habitat for Humanity
A hand UP, not a hand OUT
Habitat.pat
Roadsteraholic

Post by Habitat.pat »

OK, I've been driving the car for over a week with no fuel problems, so now I'll post the final chapter in my saga.

Since I kept getting air into the fuel filter, displacing the fuel, I decided to start at the tank. I connected the clear container from a brake bleeder to the outlet of the tank, then to an electric fuel pump then finally into a gas can. Cranked it up and found lots of air bubbles in the container! It's an 8 oz. container & it would fill with air in about a minute. Inspecting the tank didn't find obvious problem, and I didn't feel like opening up the tank to find the problem, so I ordered a replacement tank off of eBay. Installed the tank & checked again - - - No bubbles!

Hooke everything up normally but still had problems, but not as bad. PIFFLE!

I hooked the same container & pump to the splice under the door - - -No Bubbles.

Hooked the same container & pump up to the line where it connects to the fuel filter (Glass bowl) - - - Bubbles!
A close look at the flair fitting found that is was slightly off, so an extra bit of torque on it fixed the leak! These were new lines from Classic Tube.

Up until this point I had been using a generic plastic inline filter to collect any crud in the lines or tank from plugging up the final filter element. It turns out that these filters can be orientation sensitive! Hadn't run into that before. Some filters have the outlet line that goes deep into the paper element, so the filter should be horizontal. Other filters outlet only goes barely into the filter. That type filter should have the outlet on the top. Once I installed the OEM glass filter, everything cleared up!

I assume there is a crack or pinhole in the tank fuel pickup line high in the tank that was causing most of my problem. Glad it is now behind me!

Another thousand miles or so on it on quasi-short trips near home, then it will be time to hit the road for Los Angeles in late June or early July!

Peace, Pat
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

Whew! That was quite the grueling adventure eh?
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Habitat.pat
Roadsteraholic

Post by Habitat.pat »

Doing major work always opens up a can of worms when you have so many unproven new & used parts to contend with. This frameoff has shown me that my diagnostic ability has gone down hill!
Habitat.pat
Roadsteraholic

Post by Habitat.pat »

Can you share where to get a pickup sock? Now that I’m back home & have things Deion I should have time to check out everything late this week or early next week.

Peace, Pat
redroadster
Roadsteraholic
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by redroadster »

Habitat.pat wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 7:52 pm Where? it wouldn't hurt to put one on, even with my brand new tank.
It posted the part manu # here in a post I'll see if I can find my problem was a S bend that's calciumed up , I took it out
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster