Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

68 roadster frame for racing

Post by S Allen »

Reposting here for Andrew.

While starting a frame off restoration on my 68 I discovered some damage to the frame. Bit of work, but to persevere the 53 old frame and also make it worthy for some roadster racing, I had to replace metal and restrengthen some areas. It will have a cage and 2 of the main mounting locations was a lot of the actual work. Any input about the frames possible week points or a race proven direction for mount points is apricated. I've included several pics to show the needed work. The frame was chemical dipped. After tearing into the frame I was surprised at the internal deterioration. It has an internal (tray) lack of a better term. This structure tray or system had rusted away on the right side right at wear the right door pillar would be. So had to be a little inventive to strengthen and repair the right and left location. Also the underneath rails and front engine member. All 3 of these areas were
Bumpy.. hilly extremely damaged, but structurally were still sound. But again in an effort to strengthen and keep the same frame with the same body I made templates and cut out the metal to install. The racing cage is next. I included some pics.
andrew1.jpg
andrew2.jpg
andrew3.jpg
20230122_202645.jpg
20230122_160158.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
rwmann
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: 68 roadster frame for racing

Post by rwmann »

I can't say I've ever 'been there', but do you judge that that internal structure to be original, or previously upgraded/remediated for some reason? Thanks.
Andrew Griffith
Roadster Nut

Post by Andrew Griffith »

Its original, except that someone had replaced the X member before the car was shipped back to the state's by a military guy. That was the real reason for doing the frame off because the welding was terrible and somewhat unfinished. I discovered the other areas after the chemical dip. When I got into and opened the two upper areas were left and right mounts for my cage are going, I discovered the extent of the erosion. I did a further chemical etching with the POR 15 rust neutralize and paint..I thinks it's only black, but seems to be a great product to do the whole frame in. I included some more picks of the underneath area I approached. A lot of work but I'm trying to bring it back to complete a vintage style tribute and preserve it.
Shout out to Allen..thanks Andrew.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rwmann

Post by rwmann »

Wow. That's a heck of a lot of material being replaced. What type material and how welded?
Andrew Griffith
Roadster Nut

It was either 3/32 or 16 plate..but those are overlays tig welded. I blended the side with the tig and then drilled like 3/16 holes down to the original and welded the holes up. As those areas could have been over looked, I did this for some maybe added strength and appearances. 53 year old frame needed some extra to go racing. I have read several articles about the quality of Japanese car steel in that era so it was a no brainier. Really it was from all the years of being jacked up for repair, that and the metal to me was a bit to thin of gauge. I think I had 60.00$ in the sheet of metal, plus tig supplies, which I spent probably 4 times on that. That plus labor but a labor of love..ha..
Andrew Griffith
Roadster Nut

I re read your question about original or not. I made the ladder structure piece you see down in the original frame..that is the add on to strengthen that weakened area...both sides..my front post for cage mount will be right on top
rwmann

Post by rwmann »

Aha. Thanks. So the ladder 'edges' are also welded to the frame skin?
Andrew Griffith
Roadster Nut

Yes some, but I drilled 4 holes per side and but in 3/8 bolts and then welded the bolts up inside and out. That old metal wasn't very thick to begin with and with the age and I also drilled through one layer ,outside layer, and then welded in the holes.
I think it's fairly reliable now. Didn't want to do that because I'm being contiencence of overall weight.
pinoy311
Forum Newb
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by pinoy311 »

Good Job!