Another thing to be thankful for...

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Another thing to be thankful for...

Post by Gregs672000 »

I've got another thing to be thankful for... modern day car accident technology. I was on my way to work yesterday when some dude in a stolen car decided to bypass his two lanes of traffic at the light, which put him in my direct path as I was transitioning into the left turn lane at that light going the opposite direction. Police estimate his speed to be somewhere between 60 - 90mph (he was not being pursued). I could see it coming, but my options were "limited"... turn into oncoming traffic on my left or try to dodge right back into the two lanes going my direction, which is what I did, but of course that made no difference and we hit head on, with another car behind me tagging the back. Stupid dude's car continued on to hit another car head on, totaling that one as well, which gives you an idea of how much energy he was still carrying after hitting me. All were full sized cars, typical speed on this road at around 45mph. It looked like a bomb went off. I was able to breathlessly call my wife who raced to the scene in her PJs and ultimately got this and many other photos. I've never been in an accident in 42 years of driving, though the Datsun and I have avoided a few.

Ya, I hurt. Two fractured low back vertebrae, a broken right ankle, serious rib and abdominal muscle pain, right shoulder pain, and other aches and bruises that are showing up. BUT, the seat belt and airbag worked tremendously, the compartment protected me, the steering wheel stayed where it's supposed to and I suffered no life threatening or brain compromising injuries. Mazda did a good job, and I may very well owe them my life. It will be several weeks before I'm better, but of course I will once again have to charge my own insurance company for this as it was a stolen car. Both of my wife's car accidents were caused by people without insurance, so been there done that, and it sucks.

Good thing it wasn't a "take your Roadster to work" day... things would have been quite different, so you all keep that in mind when you're out there driving.
Be well, I'll be back!
:smt006
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
DAC21
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Re: Another thing to be thankful for...

Post by DAC21 »

Wow, that sucks. Glad you are "relatively" OK
1967 1600 in waiting SPL311-09002 / R-28178
2018 Hyundai Elantra GT Sport Ultimate
MattC
Roadster Fanatic

Post by MattC »

Very happy you’re safe and able to share this Greg. Best wishes on a speedy recovery.
Matt

1970 2000 #14204
2004 350Z Roadster
2014 Tundra

Williamsville, NY
Bwk2000
Roadsteraholic
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Bwk2000 »

You win … That’s not survivable in a roadster.

Go buy a lottery ticket, open a bottle of wine and take care of yourself Greg.
Kai
Halifax, N.S.
’69 SPL311 Sports 1600

Classic Cars - Because clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated.
23yrRebuild
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by 23yrRebuild »

Get well, Greg....I don't know you personally, other than through the 311s Forum that we share together, and from that, I feel sure that the world is better with you in it...
Mike Hudson
Mike - '67 Stroker / 5-Speed
theunz
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000

Post by theunz »

Glad you’re ok Greg, thank goodness for modern safety features. Vehicle theft and uninsured drivers are two things that ave gotten completely out of control and need to be reeled back in. Every time I drive one of my vintage sports cars I think about how vulnerable to injury or death I am. In fact that is one of the reasons I am going to sell the Porsche (the Datsun ain’t going nowhere!) and buy something a little more modern. Having A/C is another reason😎. Anyone have a line on a nice series one Lotus Evora with a manual??
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!
JackAuffeltrades
Roadster Nut

Post by JackAuffeltrades »

Glad you're here to share this with us. Well wishes and positive vibes for the healing. My youngest is just learning to drive and I taught him to drive manual with our Sentra. He loves the roadster and wants one for his first car. I told him that he can drive the Rav-4 with its eleven airbags. I constantly remind him that my mindset in the roadster is that I'm riding a motorcycle and everyone on the road wants to kill you. A bit of an overstatement, but only a bit. A good learning lesson though. I rode a bike as my sole transportation for a couple of years and learned to focus on other driver's eyes and react accordingly. Like motorcycles, these cars can hide in blind spots so I avoid those as well. Little lessons but hopefully my kids and these cars will still be around for a long time. Be well and heal strong.
jamesw
Roadsteraholic

Post by jamesw »

Glad you made it through that one Greg! Looking at the photo of your car I can't help but be impressed and amazed.

Same thing happened to my wife last year. Her car was total'd by a driver with no license and no insurance. It's sad :-( (She is fine).

Thanks for sharing your story Greg!

James
SRL311-00275
'96 Porsche 993 C4
2001 Excursion 7.3l
redroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by redroadster »

That's terrible news Greg I ,certainly hope your better quick ....did the insurance pay off ?
We just ok ed wacky weed that's going to be crazy on the road , but then it already was .
Last edited by redroadster on Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

Thanks all for the well wishes! I'm improved over yesterday when I had no core strength and just lifting my legs into bed was extremely difficult. As other have noted, drive the Roadster like your on a motorcycle. Dann from Rallye had a picture of his later Roadster post a head on collision in his catalog, which led me to go 4pt harnesses and wider thicker washers for the seat mounts as he suggested. Used to have a collapsible steering wheel rod system from a later car I had planned to add but never did. Would be a good safety upgrade. Be safe all.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

Sorry about the crash. Stuff (cars) can be replaced, people can't. Glad that you are still with us.
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
spriso
Vendor

Post by spriso »

Wow. Glad to hear that you are mostly ok... sorry for the situation, but you are at least alive and can share that with us-- and thank goodness not in your beloved roadster!

Heal fast,

Michael
Spriso Motorsports
http://www.spriso.com
Instagram https://instagram.com/spriso/
SR20 Powered Roadsters
Engine swap kits Available! See my website!
bobs19692L
Roadster Nut

Post by bobs19692L »

Greg, so happy you're OK. As said previously, things can be replaced. One's life can't! As you, I installed the 4 pt harness but normally only click the lap belt. I think I'll take the extra step and use the shoulder straps from now on. A realty check like yours is a good hindsight for All. And, I also installed larger washers for the seats as you, Thanks for your "Thanksgiving " miracle story. Recuperate Quickly!

Bob