New '68 Forever Project

Here can put pictures and write-ups about your roadster or other vehicles.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Kinnaird
Roadster Nut
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

New '68 Forever Project

Post by Kinnaird »

Hello all,

So finally got my car jacked up, if you haven't read before I just recently bought it and found out in had a blown head gasket among some other problems to take care of. Since this is the first time I got it jacked up to drain the fluids I took some pictures to share for any insights that anyone might have into the state of the underside of my car and apparently there is a missing drain cap on my transmission? I'm not sure but it'll be in the pictures for anyone to help. I also included a picture of the rims I have since I haven't seen them on any one else's pictures so far and any other problem areas I might have. Thank you for any pointers/tips.

Respectfully,
Kinnaird
20220828_170717.jpg
20220828_170634.jpg
20220828_170620.jpg
20220828_170608.jpg
20220828_170544.jpg
20220828_170521.jpg
20220828_170443.jpg
20220828_170435.jpg
20220828_170427.jpg
20220828_170347.jpg
20220828_170343.jpg
20220828_170340.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1968 Datsun 1600
Bwk2000
Roadsteraholic

Re: New '68 Forever Project

Post by Bwk2000 »

Missing drain cap? Not sure what you are referring to, but the sixth picture is your trans drain bolt (right where it should be). That being said, do not remove that drain plug until you know that the fill plug can be removed!

You already know about the steering, additionally I can see your suspension is … what’s the word, ‘kaput’. I would also address the rust issues on the frame before more of it keeps falling away. I don’t know what your plans are for it, but it will take a lot of work (in my opinion) to pass any safety inspection. I would say it’s a good candidate for a frame-off restoration.
Last edited by Bwk2000 on Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kai
Halifax, N.S.
’69 SPL311 Sports 1600

Classic Cars - Because clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated.
Kinnaird
Roadster Nut

Post by Kinnaird »

Sorry yea that is what I was referring to but just now realized it's a bolt, and what do you mean by fill plug can be removed?
1968 Datsun 1600
Kinnaird
Roadster Nut

Post by Kinnaird »

Also I wanted to ask if this normal for underhood including the expansion foam?
20220828_183008.jpg
20220828_183011.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1968 Datsun 1600
Bwk2000
Roadsteraholic

Post by Bwk2000 »

If you can’t get the trans fill plug out (on drivers side of the casing), don’t drain the transmission. Otherwise, it will be a 1984 lbs paperweight that can’t be driven - Old transmission fluid is better than no transmission fluid.

… and no, that expansion foam is not normal. It also looks like your battery has been grounding out on the hood more than once. Probably since that battery has the POS terminal towards the front rather than the rear.
Last edited by Bwk2000 on Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kai
Halifax, N.S.
’69 SPL311 Sports 1600

Classic Cars - Because clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated.
Kinnaird
Roadster Nut

Post by Kinnaird »

Well that's good to know I'll wait before doing the transmission stuff, I was just draining the oil and coolant for now so I can check the head gasket, can I check to see if I can get the trans fill plug out without doing anything to it?
1968 Datsun 1600
Kinnaird
Roadster Nut

Post by Kinnaird »

Bwk2000 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:50 pm You already know about the steering, additionally I can see your suspension is … what’s the word, ‘kaput’. I would also address the rust issues on the frame before more of it keeps falling away. I don’t know what your plans are for it, but it will take a lot of work (in my opinion) to pass any safety inspection. I would say it’s a good candidate for a frame-off restoration.
Yea I figured the suspension and brakes I were gonna replace/upgrade, I wouldn't mind trying my hand at a frame off restoration if I had the space or tools or someone to help. All I got right now really is some common hand tools (buying what I need as I go, like realizing I need a thing for the oil filter since I can't get it off with my hands) and a carport - not even a garage haha
1968 Datsun 1600
Kinnaird
Roadster Nut

Post by Kinnaird »

Bwk2000 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:08 pm … and no, that expansion foam is not normal. It also looks like your battery has been grounding out on the hood more than once. Probably since that battery has the POS terminal towards the front rather than the rear.
Sounds like a yikes and yea I took out the battery and probably will end up replacing all the wiring with how much frayed/uncovered wiring and such there is
1968 Datsun 1600
Bwk2000
Roadsteraholic

Post by Bwk2000 »

Kinnaird wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:10 pm Well that's good to know I'll wait before doing the transmission stuff, I was just draining the oil and coolant for now so I can check the head gasket, can I check to see if I can get the trans fill plug out without doing anything to it?
Yes! Confirm you can remove the trans fill plug. If so, then go ahead and change the trans fluid if you want. I recommend you drain it into a completely cleaned pail (or whatever you use) so you can put a magnet in the old oil and see how much metal you had sheared off in there. Also remember to check the drain plug itself for metal filings (it’s magnetized). This will help you assess the condition of your transmission.
Kai
Halifax, N.S.
’69 SPL311 Sports 1600

Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

If you have access to a pressure washer or can go to a car wash and get it up on jack stands you could clean off years of crud pretty quickly. It's gonna have to come off anyway. All the rubber boots are mush and at the least need to be replaced. The idler box may (probably will) need a rebushing. I have no idea why someone would fill the hood with foam (!). Looks like it has an electric fan, I recognize the coil wire for the thermostat that turns it on. And what is with the two mile long spark plug wires!? The brakes.... well, they are likely concerning. There's much to discuss here.

But first, I'd get it as clean as you can underneath in whatever way you can (detergent, or Simple Green, a bucket and a scrub brush etc...).

OK, remind me... does it run? Do the brakes Work? Does it shift gears? Are there electrical things or gauges out? We will need to know what it's like so we can help you tackle the most pressing issues first if we are to meet your goal of a "driveable work in progress.""
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Bwk2000
Roadsteraholic

Post by Bwk2000 »

Last couple observations: All the gaskets I see appear badly deteriorated. Don’t be surprised if they start failing in succession once you start running the car more often. Having a full engine gasket kit on-hand in advance would not be a bad idea. Also, you may want to relocate your alternator to the passenger side (most of us have). Easy of access, less chance of getting wet from rain, road water, etc. and it’s not exposed to nearly as much heat as it sees now - They tend to last longer once relocated.
Kai
Halifax, N.S.
’69 SPL311 Sports 1600

Kinnaird
Roadster Nut

Post by Kinnaird »

Gregs672000 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:50 pm There's much to discuss here.
Lmao yes yes there is
Gregs672000 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:50 pm But first, I'd get it as clean as you can underneath in whatever way you can (detergent, or Simple Green, a bucket and a scrub brush etc...).
I do got a pressure washer and will probably buy a scrub brush or some, I got it up on two front jacks right now, should probably buy two more for the rear. But I can definitely start getting in clean.
Gregs672000 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:50 pm OK, remind me... does it run? Do the brakes Work? Does it shift gears? Are there electrical things or gauges out? We will need to know what it's like so we can help you tackle the most pressing issues first if we are to meet your goal of a "driveable work in progress.""
It does run however I was told it had a blown head gasket - just drained the fluids and the oil was dark black but no separation in fluids - didn't see any water/coolant so thought that was a little weird, there was very little coolant in it when I drained the radiator though I will say I didn't turn on the engine or anything to fully flush it out of the heater core or anything as I had already removed the battery too - the oil filter is also still on that I have to remove.
So the brakes worked though I could say it was soft? I wouldn't say I had to brake all the way to the floor but it didn't stop very quickly either.
It did shift gears, no grind or any noises made from what I remember though I will say the shifter did have a lot, and I mean A lot of play in neutral and I'm not sure if that's normal with the 4 speeds or not. But when I drove it to the shop and back originally it drove fine, though I didn't push it or make it go over 40 really.
I didn't check all of it but I know the speedometer and temp guages didn't work, not sure if any others didn't.
The most pressing issue I thought I had was the head gasket so I'm gonna be looking to pull off the heads first and look inside there. After that probably the steering box and then brakes and suspension.
1968 Datsun 1600
Kinnaird
Roadster Nut

Post by Kinnaird »

Bwk2000 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:56 pm Last couple observations: All the gaskets I see appear badly deteriorated. Don’t be surprised if they start failing in succession once you start running the car more often. Having a full engine gasket kit on-hand in advance would not be a bad idea. Also, you may want to relocate your alternator to the passenger side (most of us have). Easy of access, less chance of getting wet from rain, road water, etc. and it’s not exposed to nearly as much heat as it sees now - They tend to last longer once relocated.
Is there any write up on how to relocate the alternator? And thank you. I'll definitely be looking to replace gaskets. I think my biggest problem that I have to overcome is essentially, I just don't know what I'm looking at exactly in terms of how things she look etc. But all to gain more knowledge. When my wife has my baby in October I'll have about a good three months off from work so as far as a current goal, getting is safely drivable by about January is my direction for now.
1968 Datsun 1600
theunz
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000

Post by theunz »

https://www.datsunrestorationproducts.com/ I believe has a kit for relocating the alternator, but really I’d put that way down the list of items that need attention. First thing is to concentrate on safety, rust through on frame, brakes, steering, etc. Then reliability, new hoses, fuel lines, fraying wires and such. Save cosmetics for last. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen someone right off the bat spend big bucks on fancy wheels and tires and new paint only to never get the project to the driving stage. Tires will age out after about 5 years and no longer be as safe as they should be, and cars that are painted before everything else is done stand a good chance of having something fall on them, spilled on them, or just getting bumped or scratched will finishing up the resto.
As for the oil filter wrench, save your money! It sounds as you are a little light in the tool department, so spend money there wisely. A hammer and a screw driver will get your filter off. A very large pair of adjustable pliers that will fit around the filter is a better and more useful tool. Besides that I’ve never had much luck with filter wrenches, and I’ve had several!
Good luck with your project and the number one thing to remember is that it’s suppose to be FUN, When it’s not fun take a break and resume later when you have calmed down and are excited to get back to it.
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!
Bwk2000
Roadsteraholic

Post by Bwk2000 »

A bit curious. You said there was no indication of coolant in the oil but didn’t mention anything about either finding coolant on the plugs, a big white cloud coming out of the exhaust or if a compression check was done - So, how do you know the head gasket is gone?

Also, Mike & Greg are correct, focus initial efforts on fixing safety issues first: steering, suspension, brakes, frame damage.
Kai
Halifax, N.S.
’69 SPL311 Sports 1600