1 step forward, 3 backwards

Here can put pictures and write-ups about your roadster or other vehicles.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

josemariagervacio
Roadster Newby
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

1 step forward, 3 backwards

Post by josemariagervacio »

Started the frame off process. We took out the radiator, fan shroud, carburators, and battery. The engine looks really good. Things I found. Inside the thermostat housing there was this corrosion, luckily the thermostat was closed so it was contained it in the housing. Drained the coolant and was happy to see is was clear and clean. Rust under the battery which has also spread to the frame bolt bracket.

Honorable mention. Found a STRAW in the rear passenger rocker panel between a layer of rust and Bondo....

Feeling a little down, since I don't know anyone who does body work 💸. But hopefully this is the worst of it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
What have I gotten myself into…

Josemaria
1967 1600 @pre.z.1600
1969 Chevy Nova
Bwk2000
Roadsteraholic
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: 1 step forward, 3 backwards

Post by Bwk2000 »

Finding a decent donor car (body only) for the panels would help move things along more quickly, and likely be less expensive. Looks like the more you dig, the more you’re going to find. That being said, from what you’ve shown, the frame looks ok, and if the drivetrain is also ok, you have a pretty good starting point!
Kai
Halifax, N.S.
’69 SPL311 Sports 1600

Classic Cars - Because clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated.
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

Well...... it's gonna get worse. I'm sorry. You're probably going to find more rust in the body, and perhaps the top cap of the frame where they meet. It's not catastrophic, but it's important to be realistic that this is no walk in the park... this is significant time, effort and money, with a learning curve that will need to be powered by a strong desire to have and enjoy this car. Now, that's just MY opinion, but having done my car from a similar state (worse?) of repair and having a similar knowledge base to yours at the time, I'm just being honest. And let me be clear: I am not trying to discourage you or say you cannot do this (as someone did say to me when they first saw my car!)... I WANT you to do this car because it is a very rewarding and valuable experience in so many ways. I feel I learned more about life and problem solving by rebuilding my car than any of my college degrees have taught me. But if you're gonna do this, it's gonna take planning, researching, learning and dedication to get done. Back in the day we didn't have the Internet, so you do have some advantage with YouTube etc and resources like 311s, but you're still gonna have to learn and do a lot by trial and error. I was fortunate enough to meet a guy in an auto body supply store that over heard me saying I was looking for someone to paint my car, and he ended up teaching me how to do body work. Only by practice does one get good at it, and you're gonna be practicing on this car. But, that does NOT mean you can't learn, or that you can't end up with something you love and enjoy! There are plenty of "rough" or "patina" looking Roadsters and other such cars running around that look like that because the owner likes 'em like that! Or other cars that are not perfect but look good, or are not show cars but make the owner happy (like how I feel about mine. I KNOW what some of the repairs nobody can see look like... solid, safe and functional, but not "factory"). There are cars with rattle can paint jobs that come out great! And of course the incredible work that some folks have done here, making $30-50k car masterpieces. Some stuff needs to be done for sure, but other stuff could be part of the cars "theme"... so, let us know what you hope to create, and we'll be better able to guide you toward success as YOU define it!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
josemariagervacio
Roadster Newby

Goal is for it to be driveeable, safe, looks good, and fun. My wife is emotionally attached to it. Her grandfather used too pick her up from elementary in this car so her goal is too be able to drive her grandfather around in it before he passes away. He is 71 has MS has had open heart surgery and overall not in good health. So I would say to be safe I need to get it done in 1-2years. budget is 7k anything passed that cuts into quality of paint job. Already 1k in for tools and materials. I am learning how to weld for next couple of weeks before I sandblast and expose bare metal to treat and replace

Josemaria
1967 1600 @pre.z.1600
1969 Chevy Nova
C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by C.Costine »

I suggest that you hold off on materials purchasing until you are nearly ready to use them. Every week someone is selling a project that they lost interest in and gets pennies on the dollar for boxes of parts already bought. Unfortunately I have to agree with Greg. Are you familiar with patch panels? I had been welding for twenty years before starting on mine in 2015, but I had virtually no experience with sheet metal. Don't be shy about asking specific questions.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

Ah good, I see the motivation/emotional attachment... I feel this is a very important part. I LOVE my car, and there were times over the years where that got tested, but never failed to bring me back. You can do this in the time frame you have set out, and your willingness to jump right in and start learning new things is VERY encouraging. We are ready to guide you, answer questions, help with shortcuts or techniques we have learned (like using dry ice to freeze/shatter off the undercoating on the floor if it needs to be removed), locate parts and supports... this is part of being in this family! We all are cheering you and your girl onward, and we look forward to seeing the grin on her grandfather's face when you show him the car!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
josemariagervacio
Roadster Newby

Not gonna sell regardless of how difficult this will be. Worst case scenario I'll get it running, treat rust, Bondo and paint it myself. I am definitely being cautious with my initial spending haven't purchased any replacement parts as I am focusing on body. My dad is a mechanic but lives 1800 miles away but is willing to come help once I'm done with body work. tools and materials I've purchased will be use. Learning how to weld and owning a welder even if I don't use it on this car won't be a waste. Not familiar with curved panels and I am worried about making them myself, passenger rocker panel and rear fender well are only ones that need replacing

Josemaria
1967 1600 @pre.z.1600
1969 Chevy Nova
josemariagervacio
Roadster Newby

Having trouble separating body is there some type of adhesive were the frame bolts were or a trick to it?

Josemaria
1967 1600 @pre.z.1600
1969 Chevy Nova
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

If I recall correctly, there are 14 bolts. But the bigger question is why are you taking the body off the frame? I thought that the plan was to make it a driver, not a frame off restoration. If you are making it a driver, there is no need to pull the body.
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
bossbob
Site Supporter

Post by bossbob »

His initial post was a body off resto, but I agree no need to take the body off. His budget is $7k, I think he'll double that with a body off restoration. I'm almost at 7k and have done everything myself (body on) still have a lot to do.
68 Roadster 1600
70 Boss 302
65 K-Code Fastback
69 Mach 1 393 Stroker 5 spd
63.5 Galaxy Conv. 427 Dual Carb, 4 spd
72 Ranchero
65 GT Coupe
theunz
Model: 2000

Post by theunz »

Sid is right, 14 bolts. 4 under the hood, 4 in the interior, 4 in the trunk, and the 2 he is probably missing that are horizontal at the front of the rear wheel wells.
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

You're doing great man, Love how you jump right in! Get her apart then post some pics and we'll be able to offer various options. I did some sand blasting, used a really good rust converter (I used Sems Rust Seal, many use Eastwood products), made some of my own patch panels (better more factory parts exist now... depends on budget) and had a good orbital sander. There are many on the site who are in or close to this phase and can offer very recent insights. Onward!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
josemariagervacio
Roadster Newby

All 14 bolts are off if but you guys are right I've been thinking it over and I think I'm leaning towards not talking it off anymore but at least I get to replace the bolts the only issue is that the ones I took of floor pan with the j nut/clip broke so those 4 are not gonna be fun too remove. I will keep you guys updated thanks for all the responses and support you guys are awesome

Josemaria
1967 1600 @pre.z.1600
1969 Chevy Nova
C.Costine

Post by C.Costine »

I am convinced that I could have saved a lot of time on my body patching had I removed the body from the frame.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

Were it me and the body has everything disconnected from the frame ( if it didn't I would) at the very least I would take it off. That way you can pressure wash the frame and replace the horse hair rust pads, oops I meant frame pads. I use an engine lift and pick up each end and put it on a 4x4 across two saw horses to the side front and back. I think with engine in the frame I might have had to raise the 4x4s up at each side to clear. Then I just roll it on out.
66 stroker, almost done.
67 basket case, paint coming soon.