Review - DatsunParts Early Horn Button Insert

Discussion for product reviews! Coming sooner or later.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

cbez
Roadster Fanatic

Review - DatsunParts Early Horn Button Insert

Post by cbez »

Hello, this is a review of the DatsunParts Early Horn Button Insert, pre-painted.

This is an injection molded plastic part and as far as I know they are the only ones making one. It is $115 for the painted version and $39 for a DIY.

Comparing to the original, the shape seems spot on while the paint and plastic are somewhat lacking. The plastic has a bit of cloudiness to it while the original Nissan version has stayed quite clear if you ignore the cracks.

The white/gray paint in the letter is a pretty close match. The silver borders are much more metallic/chrome in the original while the reproduction is more of a matte silver. The black is more of a cloudy matte in the repro - I'm not sure if this is the paint itself or just the plastic. Bear in mind these are painted on the reverse side, so the paint is viewed through several mms of plastic. The original part is a much more deep glossy black even 56 years later.

There are a few bad spots in the paint where light can be seen through - borders of the letters especially. Not really an issue once mounted to the column.

It looks fairly nice once on the car especially from a distance and is an adequate option if you are missing your original button or it's heavily damaged like mine was. You do get some cloudiness in the black sections that just doesn't look great. With a very visible piece that the driver is going to see constantly, that may bug you.

Subjectively, I don't really see the $115 in value with the cloudy plastic and paint that poorly matches the originals. If it were $30 or $40 I could see it being a nice drivers' quality option. With an extra $75 to paint a square inch or so, I expect pretty near perfection. Unfortunately that is sometimes the reality with small batch manufacturing of obscure parts.

Overall I would call it a 3/5 taking the price into consideration.

SPL311-02085
Datsunparts.comInc
Roadsteraholic

Re: Review - DatsunParts Early Horn Button Insert

Post by Datsunparts.comInc »

Send it back for full refund or send an email to me for a full in house credit and you can keep the one you have. sales@dastunparts.com
We can't do anything about the plastic itself but we do have a way to get a more opaque black on the back side. The artwork was finished last month, but I have been busy with other stuff. The was the last of the older run. These are very time consuming to do and the girl that does these spends hours on them. No excuses here. You have valid complaints.

Dean
New Shopping cart web-site. More parts on display in our showroom than most vendors carry in their entire inventory! 2900 active parts numbers in our catalog. 2020 Inventory piece count- 96,155 parts on hand! "Shop A Movie" at our web-site
cbez
Roadster Fanatic

Post by cbez »

Datsunparts.comInc wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:13 pm Send it back for full refund or send an email to me for a full in house credit and you can keep the one you have. sales@dastunparts.com
We can't do anything about the plastic itself but we do have a way to get a more opaque black on the back side. The artwork was finished last month, but I have been busy with other stuff. The was the last of the older run. These are very time consuming to do and the girl that does these spends hours on them. No excuses here. You have valid complaints.

Dean
Sounds fair, I will take you up on the newer version and post an updated review.
SPL311-02085
sfdaugherty
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by sfdaugherty »

That’s great customer service. You set a high bar Dean.

Shannon
69 2000 SRL311-10088 (Type 4 Solexes)
68 SR20DE SPL311-18735 (SR20DE S15 Autech)
68 2000 SRL311-01179 (Restoration underway)
68 1600 SPL311-20462 SOLD! After 41 years in the family
theunz
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by theunz »

That’s how you stand behind your product! Good for you Dean.
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!
Bwk2000
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Bwk2000 »

+1
Browsing threads like this (when first looking for a reliable vendor) is why I had no concerns in ordering parts from Dean - You know it’s going to be right, or made right.
Kai
Halifax, N.S.
’69 SPL311 Sports 1600

Classic Cars - Because clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated.