69 2000 weatherstripping & window channels....

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

mdkelsay
Roadster Newby
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

69 2000 weatherstripping & window channels....

Post by mdkelsay »

OK, I have the weatherstripping and window channel pieces to replace what is on my 2K. Since I purchased the car about 2 years ago, have basically completely replaced the front suspension, brakes front and rear, cleaned the car up massively (was a barn find) and have been driving it a bunch.

Not too long ago, I was rolling up the driver's side window, and the u-shaped rubber/felt piece that was(!) in the channel at the back of the vent window and goes down into the door just sort of rolled out as the window went up. It obviously wasn't glued in as the entire piece rolled out, and is great shape.

I am also going to replace the weatherstripping at the top of each door (needed) and under each vent window (needed).

The back of the driver's door doesn't have the short u-shaped piece that is supposed to be in that channel, so going to add that, also.

My questions include how many screws do I need to take out, which ones to rake out, and how to lift the channels to the point I can replace the u-shaped pieces that go into the "front" and "back" channels?

I have the inside upholstery panel out, I have some 3M adhesive to use, and and am ready to poke around and replace some weatherstripping and u-shaped pieces.

Any videos you can direct me to, any step-by-step directions, etc. you can suggest will be appreciated.

Thank you,

Mike
70-1600
Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600

Re: 69 2000 weatherstripping & window channels....

Post by 70-1600 »

Mike:

I'm in the process of refreshing the weatherstripping on both doors of my '70 1600. I found this PDF in the Tech Wiki very helpful in the process so far:

http://www.311s.org/pmwiki-311/pmwiki.p ... atherstrip

I found the rear channel on the driver's side floating in the bottom of the door with both tabs broken. The passenger door channel was ok. I took it to a welder for repair and painted it:
Broken Tabs.jpeg
Welded Tabs.jpeg
I'm taking this opportunity to also replace the wing window glass weatherstrip, and paint the inside portion of the wing window frame/channel:
Frame Apart.jpeg
Wing Window Apart.jpeg
Frame Painted.jpeg
Paint vs No Paint.jpeg
Having the doors all apart also gave me the opportunity to update the posties on both sides, replace the driver's mirror, and add a right hand mirror.
Driver Mirror.jpeg
Pass Mirror.jpeg
I got all my weatherstripping from Dean at datsunparts.com, as well as new squeegees for the windows.

Good luck!

-jt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1970 1600 - SPL-31127516
San Jose, CA
mdkelsay
Roadster Newby
Model: 2000

Post by mdkelsay »

jt: thank you very much, this is extremely helpful!!

I have found most of the items you mentioned (lubricating where appropriate, getting new squeegees while I a "in there", etc.), but not all of them pretty much together!

Again, thank you!

Take care, be safe,

Mike
fairlane292
Roadster Fanatic

Post by fairlane292 »

70-1600 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:14 pm Mike:

I'm in the process of refreshing the weatherstripping on both doors of my '70 1600. I found this PDF in the Tech Wiki very helpful in the process so far:

http://www.311s.org/pmwiki-311/pmwiki.p ... atherstrip

I found the rear channel on the driver's side floating in the bottom of the door with both tabs broken. The passenger door channel was ok. I took it to a welder for repair and painted it:

Broken Tabs.jpeg

Welded Tabs.jpeg

I'm taking this opportunity to also replace the wing window glass weatherstrip, and paint the inside portion of the wing window frame/channel:

Frame Apart.jpeg

Wing Window Apart.jpeg

Frame Painted.jpeg

Paint vs No Paint.jpeg

Having the doors all apart also gave me the opportunity to update the posties on both sides, replace the driver's mirror, and add a right hand mirror.

Driver Mirror.jpeg

Pass Mirror.jpeg

I got all my weatherstripping from Dean at datsunparts.com, as well as new squeegees for the windows.

Good luck!

-jt
Can you pls tell me which mirrors those chrome ones are? How close is the profile and fitment to the original? Has anyone taken an original OE (silver) LH mirror and modified it to work as a RH mirror? I have not yet seen a OE style RH mirror available. Thanks, Jim
fairlane292
Roadster Fanatic

Post by fairlane292 »

Ok, so I was able to just loosen the screw on the OE LH mirror and reset the position as if it were a RH mirror. I see no reason why this won't work. Now I suspect the same mirror was used on both LH and RH cars. I see nothing about its design that makes it specific to LH or RH.
Jim
70-1600
Site Supporter

Post by 70-1600 »

[/quote]

Can you pls tell me which mirrors those chrome ones are? How close is the profile and fitment to the original? Has anyone taken an original OE (silver) LH mirror and modified it to work as a RH mirror? I have not yet seen a OE style RH mirror available. Thanks, Jim
[/quote]

Jim:

The mirrors I purchased and installed have the same shape as my original '70. The base shape is just a bit different. Dean had a good description here:
https://datsunparts.com/products/datsun ... 9219261624

Here's a pic of my old mirror and the new chrome one:
Mirrors Compared.jpeg
Compared.jpeg
You can see the slight difference in the base and how the mounting differs. I had to drill an additional hole in my door to mount it:
Marked.jpeg
Drilled.jpeg
I purchased a matching RH mirror and installed it as well:
Profile.jpeg
I will say the RH mirror doesn't adjust quite far enough to give a good view of the RH lane next to me. I believe the RH mirror is meant for RH drive cars. But I do like the look of matching mirrors.

-jt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1970 1600 - SPL-31127516
San Jose, CA
fairlane292
Roadster Fanatic

Post by fairlane292 »

I love the look of matching mirrors and I prefer the look of chrome over the OE silver, however except for the driveline I’m trying to keep everything else original. If you (or anyone) would like to sell their silver mirror for a good price just PM me and I’ll put it back into use. Thanks, Jim
70-1600
Site Supporter

Post by 70-1600 »

fairlane292 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:12 am I love the look of matching mirrors and I prefer the look of chrome over the OE silver, however except for the driveline I’m trying to keep everything else original. If you (or anyone) would like to sell their silver mirror for a good price just PM me and I’ll put it back into use. Thanks, Jim
PM sent.

-jt
1970 1600 - SPL-31127516
San Jose, CA