Bilstein Shocks from Jim Tyler-Datsun Restoration Products

Discussion for product reviews! Coming sooner or later.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Bilstein Shocks from Jim Tyler-Datsun Restoration Products

Post by Alvin »

This is my review of the Bilstein shocks from Jim Tyler of Datsun Restoration Products.

I've included more detailed impressions/pics in the Member's Garage threads for each car, but here is my general review of the shocks:
I installed fronts only on my black roadster and all 4 shocks on Sora. I noticed an immediate improvement in ride quality on both cars. Rebound control is much more controlled, especially noticeable with Nismo rear leaf springs and front coil springs. Gone is the high-frequency, bouncy "race-car" ride that I've been accustomed to. I honestly did not expect the difference in ride quality to be so striking...it's that good.

Highly recommend the Bisteins for high-rate springs, and the best part is that custom valving is available! The modified front lower mount also makes changing/removing a breeze--not my desire but I can see racers utilizing it.

More pictures of my roadster:
viewtopic.php?p=324245#p324245
and Sora:
viewtopic.php?p=324243#p324243

Shocks can be ordered from Jim's website:
https://www.datsunrestorationproducts.com/shop-1

More information on the shocks from Jim:
viewtopic.php?p=254557#p254557
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
DAC21
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Re: Bilstein Shocks from Jim Tyler-Datsun Restoration Products

Post by DAC21 »

Heard nothing but good things about these shocks, but your money tree is bigger than mine LOL. Shame their isn't something more affordable in-between the KYB and Bilstein lines that adds some improvements just not 5x the cost.
1967 1600 in waiting SPL311-09002 / R-28178
2018 Hyundai Elantra GT Sport Ultimate
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

DAC21 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:32 pm Heard nothing but good things about these shocks, but your money tree is bigger than mine LOL. Shame their isn't something more affordable in-between the KYB and Bilstein lines that adds some improvements just not 4x the cost.
I hear you. Though nothing is "affordable" on these cars. Personally, the two front shocks are the biggest item I've purchased (other than tires) on the car since I had the rear end done in 2008. So, ~$500 over 13 years doesn't sound to bad to me :mrgreen:
I would also add...these shocks aren't a necessity. KYBs are fine for stock springs.
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
DAC21

Post by DAC21 »

Alvin wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:13 pm
DAC21 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:32 pm Heard nothing but good things about these shocks, but your money tree is bigger than mine LOL. Shame their isn't something more affordable in-between the KYB and Bilstein lines that adds some improvements just not 4x the cost.
I hear you. Though nothing is "affordable" on these cars. Personally, the two front shocks are the biggest item I've purchased (other than tires) on the car since I had the rear end done in 2008. So, ~$500 over 13 years doesn't sound to bad to me :mrgreen:
I would also add...these shocks aren't a necessity. KYBs are fine for stock springs.
I have a stock 1600 about to under go the works, shocks are the least of my worries right now. After 40 years of sitting I have bigger fish to fry. Hopefully those 40 year being in So. Cal Garage will amount to something. The body looks rust free to the "naked" eye. Probably not to many circumstances a 1600 warrants $1100 of shocks anyway. But one can dream.
1967 1600 in waiting SPL311-09002 / R-28178
2018 Hyundai Elantra GT Sport Ultimate
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

Thank you Alvin(and Rob) for the review and driving impressions. We are glad that your experience with them is the same as ours.

We realize these shocks are not low budget items, but at about 250/corner, not crazy expensive either. Bilsteins for many other cars are well over 500/wheel and any other shock at this quality level (and specifically tuned for the Datsun roadster) would be as much or more.

This really is a case of "you get what you pay for" and since the Bils can be rebuilt and re-valved multiple times (affordably), they have a useful life far in excess of cheap shocks.

Above all, the ride and suspension control simply can't be matched by low dollar shocks. Other than high quality tires, these are the biggest handling and suspension improvement we know of for any roadster.

Nice to hear that they exceeded your expectations. Enjoy those curves!
LT/JT
https://www.datsunrestorationproducts.com/
Only the very BEST parts for your Datsun- 10000's of items in stock
New, Used and Reproduction!
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

This is funny... I posted on a different thread yesterday about how often I thank JT for the Bilsteins... like, EVERY time I drive my car, and most of all when I'm biting a corner on a mountain road and there's some imperfections... it's night and day. It's not modern car, but it's soooo much better, and feels firmly compliant and in control... not jittery and harsh. I was thinking about starting a topic on "The top three best modifications you have done on your Roadster" based on what ever YOU decide is the definition of "best" (price, result, bang for the buck, etc). Why was this topic in my Head? Cause I'd just ripped through a great Mt. Rainier area road at warp speed, loving those shocks. I know they are expensive for a Roadster. Give up a lunch a week dining out, pass on the extra coffee, put your spare change in a bottle... whatever. Save up. Get em. You won't be disappointed.
Thanks JT.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
dynaguy

Post by dynaguy »

Gregs672000 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:04 am This is funny... I posted on a different thread yesterday about how often I thank JT for the Bilsteins... like, EVERY time I drive my car, and most of all when I'm biting a corner on a mountain road and there's some imperfections... it's night and day. It's not modern car, but it's soooo much better, and feels firmly compliant and in control... not jittery and harsh. I was thinking about starting a topic on "The top three best modifications you have done on your Roadster" based on what ever YOU decide is the definition of "best" (price, result, bang for the buck, etc). Why was this topic in my Head? Cause I'd just ripped through a great Mt. Rainier area road at warp speed, loving those shocks. I know they are expensive for a Roadster. Give up a lunch a week dining out, pass on the extra coffee, put your spare change in a bottle... whatever. Save up. Get em. You won't be disappointed.
Thanks JT.

+1 One of the best improvements on my '69 sr20 car!! Pat
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

I've extolled the virtues of these before. Great improvement and worth the cost in my opinion!
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
Starchamp
Roadster Nut
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Starchamp »

Glad to see the positive reviews, as I’ll most likely match a pair of these Bilsteins with the MY springs I have up front when it comes time to do the suspension this winter.
Slackline
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Slackline »

I also have them on all 4 corners. I have stock springs in the rear and Mike Young's in the front.

It rides much better than the KYB that were on the car. When I took them off, they didn't appear to be that old, so its not like they were blown out.

Love them.

Rob
Rob

66 Datsun 1600 / K24
2021 CT4-V Blackwing
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

UPDATE:
We installed a set of custom-valved Bilstein shocks on Rick's 1965 Nissan Silvia. Improved ride, as we've experienced with our roadsters above.
Thanks Jim!

You can see my report here:
viewtopic.php?p=342891#p342891

Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread