Fender Detail Photos

Since the old single thread was getting too long again. Creating a new forum where you can ask your questions and if you get them answered -please indicate the issue was resolved or not.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

dbendyk
Roadster Newby
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Fender Detail Photos

Post by dbendyk »

Hi All,

I am working to repair the previous owner of my Datsun's sheet metal mistakes. The previous owner had purchased new rear fenders for the car, but had brazed them on and then covered his masterpiece all up with about 1/2" of body filler. At the top of the fender, where the ridge of the fender (by the trunk) connects to the rear panel, the gap was just filled with body filler, and I do not have much of a reference as to how these should connect.

Can someone please post a few detail pictures of the sheet metal work in this spot. I don't have much to go off of as to how the original panels connected.

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Re: Fender Detail Photos

Post by notoptoy »

Welcome, and wow, quite the ugly mess someone left you. Someone should post pictures, but that is a relief and metal should be filling that contour. It smoothly flows the over the topside and then cuts back to the taillight panel pretty sharply.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
todd lorber
Roadsteraholic

Post by todd lorber »

I had to do some repair in that area as well, and lead kept melting out. You should probably cut and weld piece in to fit that contour. The piece would not be exactly vertical, but lays back at 30* or so. I'd try to post a pic, but by the time the photo is shrunk down, I don't think there would be enough resolution to see what is going on.
RBMann
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600

Post by RBMann »

Hope these help-

RBMann

mechanic on '69-1600(not mine)
dbendyk
Roadster Newby
Model: 2000

Post by dbendyk »

That's perfect, Thanks!!
C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by C.Costine »

Here are a couple pics of mine.

I had tough challenges in this area as well due to poorly repaired collision damage on the left and ground through shhet metal from paint stripping on the right. Fortunately I had an unmolested parts car to go by. I hope that these help.
IMG_2238.jpg
IMG_2238.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn