Newbie from Portland OR

Here you can introduce yourself to the group.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Jvliet
Roadster Newby
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Newbie from Portland OR

Post by Jvliet »

Hello All,
Finally decided to do more than observe here. My son needed a constructive project during this pandemic time and my Dad happened to have this 69 roadster and a "parts car" sitting under the carport on the side of his shop. At the end of December, we brought it down from Port Orchard to Portland and started to get it back to life. My Dad got these roadsters and a few other cars from a widow. Apparently it was a daily driver before it sat for 20 years before my Dad got it and another 15 at his place. It didn't take long and I remembered the fun of working on simpler cars. (spark, fuel, compression. Thats it to make it run). Now that its driving I'm also remembering the fun of a manual transmission. It's fun watching my son learn a manual. Fortunately this roadster has mostly required a lot of elbow grease to get running again. We're hoping to be able to put some longer drives on it this summer, maybe Mt Shasta if we trust it to make it that far...

Thanks to everyone on this forum for a wealth of information. I've got a few questions that are growing as we work on bringing this roadster back to life. Mostly around sourcing and how stuff goes back together.
IMG_1351.png
IMG_1356.png
After a little work (and hydraulics and fuel tank treatment and u-joints and paint cutting and buffing and and and)
IMG_1525.png
IMG_1468.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
69 2000 SU (driving, but slowly cleaning up)
68 (I think) 2000 with no motor or tranny (waiting to get attention).
Portland, OR
bajaroadster
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Re: Newbie from Portland OR

Post by bajaroadster »

Welcome to the forum. Looks as if you have a wonderful starting point, and a 2 liter to boot. Car seems to be in great shape, all things considered. Glad that you have joined us.
Ive seen normal. It aint pretty.
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

Ya, you scored! Make sure you note how expensive those tear drop side marker lights are and warn your children accordingly!
Best things to do for this engine, all of which you can search for or ask and we'll help: Check for damage to the evil L from the timing chain, and shim the tensioner; check for the oil drain back tube in the filter; desmog the engine and recurve or replace the distributor, then reset the ignition timing to pre-smog; adjust the valves.
Welcome, you'll love Shasta or any meet... great bunch of relaxed people.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Daryl Smith
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Daryl Smith »

You are not far from Shedd, top notch get together there. Great bunch.