Memories...

Z car, 210, 510, 521, 621,721 pickups and any thing in between.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Memories...

Post by Gregs672000 »

My wife and I like to spend rainy days poking around some local antique shops. I really enjoy looking through old magazines, especially the ads... Talk about a window into the time and place in history and products. Anyway, my wife pointed this out, and I immediately recognized it as THE manual that started it all for me, and which taught me "everything automotive" as I've said many times.
Like many of you, I regret selling my old 620 Pickup. As trucks go, it was probably a rare beast... '73 was the first year, desert gold color, it came with drum brakes all around and a script DATSUN1600 badging that was italicized and not blocky or straight up and down like the 520 PU, it had style. The next year they came with an L-18 and the badging changed to just DATSUN with a black background. It was my second vehicle (the Roadster being the 3rd) and the little Redline Weber 32/36dgv carb on it got me intrigued. Soon it had a cam, duel SUs, port matched head, SSS distributor, MSD6A and wires, 200sx 5 speed and eventually a bump to 2liters. By then it had a really cool black canopy, was lowered and running Western mag wheels on pos-o-traction tires. Drove it all across the state from age 16 to 23, and it NEVER failed me. It was sold by a friend to a local kid who really wanted it two days after I moved to So Cal to go to grad school, having just built the Roadster. I've been able to find only one crappy picture of it, with the hood up and me under it as was typical.

I still look for it. It's out there somewhere...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
mraitch
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: Memories...

Post by mraitch »

As we/I age, I regret some photos not taken!
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California
RBMann
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: Memories...

Post by RBMann »

Good one Greg. I inherited my 620 from my dad and drove it home from Texas. Custom mods included both leading brake shoes on the left front with the two trailing shoes on the right front, 1.5'' of height added to the left torsion bar and all the front suspension really loosened up after 70,000 miles of being towing behind a motorhome. Needless to say panic braking was an adventure.

Real snow in Shoreline, WA circa 1996.
1996 shoreline snow Dat.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RBMann

mechanic on '69-1600(not mine)