"I'm Not a Car Guy." - A 1967.5 1600 Refurb Saga

Here can put pictures and write-ups about your roadster or other vehicles.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

andyb
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: "I'm Not a Car Guy." - A 1967.5 1600 Refurb Saga

Post by andyb »

Hey Peter, it was a pleasure and a lot of fun tearing thru your gear box. Glad you got the body work sourced - hopefully they'll get it to a point where you can start on assembly.
Was great working with you, thanks for the kind words.
iloveredmeat
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by iloveredmeat »

Been a minute.

So… I’ve recently gotten a ton of requests to post a new recipe.

Well… not a TON of requests.

Okay… zero requests.

But, I actually have had a couple of friends ask if I’ve made any progress on my car.

And the answer is no, virtually nothing… and it’s been a big bummer, honestly.

I knew there would be highs and lows in restoring this car, but I didn’t anticipate getting so invested in the project, and that the lows would suck so bad. I’m determined to get this thing done somehow, someday, but dang… it’s been hard lately.

The last time I actually saw my car was 6 months ago! Nothing since. So after some nice tequila, I actually wrote a long update... a whiny, pity party post about how it's such a drag being so far away from the car and having to rely on others' help, and nothing gets done, and it’s hard to keep motivated, etc.

Then I thought… that wouldn’t be a fun read…

So, let’s talk about encouraging friends like Erik, Pat(s), Jeff, Andy, etc. You guys are inspirational.

Example: Jeff told me that, for his own reasons, he commits to doing just one thing every day. Easy to say when your car is closer that 531 miles, ha, but I took that to heart. And now that I’ve stepped back from the cliff, I’m going to try to do something resembling that.

I have a few things here that I can work on… headrests, wing windows, interior details, extra gauges, and restoring stuff, convertible bow, blah, blah.

And so, with a new positive attitude (thank you, tequila), last night it began.

Over a year ago, I had my wing windows rechromed and I have almost everything to get them going again. But I’ve been avoiding it... for no good reason. I pulled them out last, masked them in prep for the “anti-glare” paint job, ala Spriso, and I am now committed to chipping away at this project again.

Alright. That’s my update. Hopefully, I can keep the stoke going.

Bonus Recipe: Chicken breasts, Adobo seasoning, and lemon Pepper. That's it. 20-25 minutes in an air fryer. I don’t particularly like chicken (it’s not red meat), but this stuff turns out really good. Eat it hot, then use the leftovers to mix in tacos or salads – if you’re like me and trying to get less fat.

Salud.
pm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by iloveredmeat on Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
––
1967.5 1600 – Second Owner – Under Reconstruction
1970 Honda CT70
1953 Airstream 21' Flying Cloud – Second Owner
Florida Roadster
Site Supporter

Post by Florida Roadster »

Well, let's put it this way. You ARE a car guy now. You're in too deep, so you have NO choice but to finish the car! Take it one step at a time and it all comes together in the end. :smt006
-Jeff-
1967.5 SPL311 Datsun Roadster 1600/2000 (Full Restoration Project)
1970 Triumph GT6+ (Full Restoration Project. Waiting up on the shelf.)
spriso
Vendor

Post by spriso »

Peter-- you've got this-- break down these projects into little ones (like you have been doing) and keep picking away at it-- if you can make things complete sub assemblies (such as the quarter windows), all done with seals installed, hardware staged in each of the holes, etc. it will make reassembly when the body is complete easy.

These sub-assembly projects take a ton of time, but even being remote, you can get a lot of the details sorted. A perfect example is finding the correct 1/4 x 28 truss head screw for the front leading edge of the quarter window-- get a box of them, and put all your hardware in a zip log bag (or started on the threaded holes), so you are not wasting time when you are with the car.

Same things for the window regulators-- I like to give them a good soak in solvent, a good cleaning with a brush, and then a thorough application of lubricant. Having them clean and ready to go will save you a ton of time when it comes time to reassembling the doors.

Like you said earlier-- do something every day... find parts, clean components, anything-- it will all come together!

Michael
Spriso Motorsports
http://www.spriso.com
Instagram https://instagram.com/spriso/
SR20 Powered Roadsters
Engine swap kits Available! See my website!
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

"These sub-assembly projects take a ton of time, but even being remote, you can get a lot of the details sorted. A perfect example is finding the correct 1/4 x 28 truss head screw for the front leading edge of the quarter window-- get a box of them, and put all your hardware in a zip log bag (or started on the threaded holes), so you are not wasting time when you are with the car."

:smt006 Oooh, ooh, let me help!
https://www.mcmaster.com/screws/thread- ... yle~truss/
:smt003
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
vorpal
Roadster Fanatic

Post by vorpal »

agreed... my 67.5 1600 red bumper project has also kinda petered out in the last year, too many other projects. But I do a little task when I can and it gets me thinking about the small things I can do (door limiters were extended and needed to be re-worked)... and it keeps the project going.
Rob
1969 Datsun 2000 Solex # 12921
1967.5 Datsun 1600 # 14262
1990 300ZX Twin Turbo
another 1990 300ZX Turbo
1993 300ZX Convertible
new garage DONE Oct 2019!!!
Edmonton, Canada
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

Michael is absolutely right, and doing the "behind the scenes" work is critical to completing the project in a timely manner and enjoying it more. The moment you will be ready to fit what ever it is to the car, and you have a completed assembly with all the little crap ready to go (screws, painted/cleaned, worn items replaced) you will smile and thank yourself for those sometime monotonous hours spent doing so.

When I did my car soooo many moons ago, I had a clear deadline (MUST complete the car before going to grad school in So Cal, or store it for the next 2-3+ years). No way I was going to California without the Roadster. Mind you, not only had I never taken on anything like this, this became a FRAME OFF restoration as I discovered how rusty it was. I had roughly 8 months to do the entire car minus the engine I had built the previous summer (first one... was it ok?) and I knew NOTHING. What made it happen and kept me focused was the project timeline board I created. I've talked about this before. I spent a significant amount of time first imagining what needed to happen (literally visualizing the car by section or system), and by imagining the restoration in my head i could better see what needed to happen and WHEN. This led to me organizing the project into main categories with sub projects (example: Main category Interior, sub project Seats, then wrote down some basic steps, so "disassemble", "assess", "identify parts to purchase and cost", "repair/restore", and "assemble". These categories with their sub projects were written down the left side of the timeline board, and time in weeks/months was on the top, and I would estimate the length of time necessary to complete the category and/or sub project based on several factors (funds, available parts, skill/knowledge level, outside work, etc) and would draw a line across the board to represent how long it may take and by when it must be done. By doing this (and updating the timeline and process as it unfolded) I could see and prepare for "down times" or delays (no funds, waiting for parts or outside work to be completed, etc) in one area I might be focused on and I could pivot to the next or other area(s) I could do. Even more importantly, I could see what needed to be done in SEQUENCE, which allowed me to anticipate conflicts in THE PROCESS so I was ahead of the timeline (it's like making sure you have installed all your house wiring BEFORE you do the drywall and knowing by when the wiring needs to be done in order to fit into the drywall schedule). Some work is independent, but some things must be done in sequence, and it's the time spent visualizing this and updating the project timeline board that helps you stay on track, focused and motivated.

I learned more about problem solving and overcoming challenges doing this project than I got out of graduate school. Over the years I've helped people I've worked with to craft recovery plans for their lives using this same concept and process, and it was the Datsun that taught me, not grad school. I don't know if writing this here will help anybody, but restoring a car is no joke, and even something you love can become a burden. The timeline keeps you going, makes it more fun and smooth, and helps you during the "dark days" while making the bright days ("I'm installing all the chrome!") even brighter (cause the chrome was already sorted, clean and paired to the fasteners cause you did it several months ago on a dark rainy day drinking tequila that you hardly remember anyway!).

Be well Peter... you got this.
:smt006
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
S Allen
Site Admin

Post by S Allen »

Do not fret. I have two projects that are way behind my schedule. Life and other things just tend to get in the way. Both my 67 2 liter and stroked 66 have been on hold far too long. Both have everything done except body and paint. Once I get the shop cieling insulation done I am hitting the 66 first. I purchased one of those inflateable paint booths with down draft blowers. It fits inside the shop nicely. You will really have a smile on your face once you get behind the wheel. Don't beat yourself up. Those little projects add huge to the finished project. From a real slacker.

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
unklpat
Roadster Fanatic

Post by unklpat »

Greg, you are an inspiration. I need your planning, as I have 2 motors in process and 2 more coming. Pat
iloveredmeat

Post by iloveredmeat »

Oh wow. This community is just amazing.

Thanks, I really, really appreciate all of the encouragement. I guess I hadn't thought much about the obvious fact that all of you car guys have had very similar struggles.

Having never done such an ambitious project and starting out from square one, it's a new kind of struggle for me. But... you car guys, you jump into these projects over and over, knowing how painful it's going to be. You’re clearly gluttons for punishment, but weirdly inspirational. Ha.
Florida Roadster wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:10 am Well, let's put it this way. You ARE a car guy now. You're in too deep, so you have NO choice but to finish the car! Take it one step at a time and it all comes together in the end. :smt006
Thanks Jeff, seeing your progress is a big motivation!
spriso wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:19 am Peter-- you've got this-- break down these projects into little ones (like you have been doing) and keep picking away at it-- if you can make things complete sub assemblies (such as the quarter windows), all done with seals installed, hardware staged in each of the holes, etc. it will make reassembly when the body is complete easy.
Michael
Michael, those are awesome ideas about staging the hardware, etc... and that is now my plan. Thank you!
notoptoy wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:29 am "These sub-assembly projects take a ton of time, but even being remote, you can get a lot of the details sorted. A perfect example is finding the correct 1/4 x 28 truss head screw for the front leading edge of the quarter window-- get a box of them, and put all your hardware in a zip log bag (or started on the threaded holes), so you are not wasting time when you are with the car."

:smt006 Oooh, ooh, let me help!
https://www.mcmaster.com/screws/thread- ... yle~truss/
:smt003
Huge help, Tom! Thank you very much!
vorpal wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:31 am agreed... my 67.5 1600 red bumper project has also kinda petered out in the last year, too many other projects. But I do a little task when I can and it gets me thinking about the small things I can do (door limiters were extended and needed to be re-worked)... and it keeps the project going.
Yep, we gotta trudge on, and the little things will add up like the others have said. Thanks.
Gregs672000 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:54 pm Michael is absolutely right, and doing the "behind the scenes" work is critical to completing the project in a timely manner and enjoying it more. The moment you will be ready to fit what ever it is to the car, and you have a completed assembly with all the little crap ready to go (screws, painted/cleaned, worn items replaced) you will smile and thank yourself for those sometime monotonous hours spent doing so.

Be well Peter... you got this.
:smt006
Greg, you've been one of the most encouraging guys I've ever 'met', and I so appreciate it. Your outlook is infectious, and helps to keep me thinking I can do it. I'm not sure if I have the organizational skills, or any room in my garage for a whiteboard 😄, but I do like the idea of sequencing, etc. Thank you as always!
S Allen wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:46 pm Do not fret. I have two projects that are way behind my schedule. Life and other things just tend to get in the way. Both my 67 2 liter and stroked 66 have been on hold far too long. Both have everything done except body and paint. Once I get the shop cieling insulation done I am hitting the 66 first. I purchased one of those inflateable paint booths with down draft blowers. It fits inside the shop nicely. You will really have a smile on your face once you get behind the wheel. Don't beat yourself up. Those little projects add huge to the finished project. From a real slacker.

Steve
Ha! I need to keep reminding myself that, like you said, the little stuff will add up. And, I reckon us slackers need to encourage each other. So... good luck to you! Thanks for that and all you do for us Steve.

Hoping for an update this weekend!
Peter
––
1970 Honda CT70
jr02518
Roadster Fanatic
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by jr02518 »

Just to share, years ago I learned a line I could live with: Two years to restore and a year to forget. My car absorbed two years and three months to become a driver. I was fortunate with the condition of the car that I started with and I get it.

I did make the drive to Solvang last year and asked lots of questions. This year I am bring the car. Without this group it would never happen.

David
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

Actually Peter, you're as much an inspiration as Anyone here! This really is a car "family" site, and I think we all enjoy participating vicariously through your work, and that inspires me to go and mess with the car... Maybe to do or redo something I've been putting off, or just learned how to because YOU just did it. You have been doing great, high quality work, and when it's finally done you're going to be very proud of the outcome and enjoy it for years to come. And keep sharing your fishing, hunting and cooking stuff... it's making me think again about doing a little fly fishing myself this spring...
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
iloveredmeat

Post by iloveredmeat »

jr02518 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:30 pm Just to share, years ago I learned a line I could live with: Two years to restore and a year to forget. My car absorbed two years and three months to become a driver. I was fortunate with the condition of the car that I started with and I get it.

I did make the drive to Solvang last year and asked lots of questions. This year I am bring the car. Without this group it would never happen.

David
Thanks David, unfortunately, I've already blown through 3 years! But, I get your point and it just is what it is. And, I couldn't agree more, I wouldn't be anywhere without this forum. Good folks here.

Gregs672000 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:59 pm Actually Peter, you're as much an inspiration as Anyone here! This really is a car "family" site, and I think we all enjoy participating vicariously through your work, and that inspires me to go and mess with the car... Maybe to do or redo something I've been putting off, or just learned how to because YOU just did it. You have been doing great, high quality work, and when it's finally done you're going to be very proud of the outcome and enjoy it for years to come. And keep sharing your fishing, hunting and cooking stuff... it's making me think again about doing a little fly fishing myself this spring...

Well, that's kind of you, and... I guess if I can do it, anyone can... and if that inspires someone, then it's nice to give a little back to the Car Family.

And since you mentioned it... I went on a cow elk hunt if anyone wants to see my January adventure.

I drew a special very limited herd management tag that the Utah Wildlife Commission offers to help keep the herds healthy. A great opportunity to get some phenomenal meat. Wild cow elk is absolutely amazing.

Beautiful, fresh snow, and lots of it. So we had to hike up on some packed trails and game trails, and then snowshoe up through the deep stuff just to get to the elk.

It was an adventure for a couple of old farts.

So... with that in mind... here's a link to an album that shows the adventure and the scenery but also shows my elk, and butchering it... nothing too gory, but if that makes any of you uncomfortable, please don't look.

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B1A5aVbMKays73

Elk burgers tomorrow for the Super Bowl!
Last edited by iloveredmeat on Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
––
1970 Honda CT70
JohnnyB66311
Roadster Nut

Post by JohnnyB66311 »

Just to add may will be two (2) long years. Final paint this week. Daughter will be off to Berkley in June and I must finish before then.
This group has not only been inspiration for me and pauline to keep The project going the group has given me aspirations that not all humans are mean, nasty and uncaring. The group has opened my young (55 in March) eyes that kindness and compassion is a true blessing that we can give each other as fellow humans.
Thank you all the back and forth banter and critical thinking and sharing to achieve a finish goal is amazing

Thank you
Johnnyb66311
1966 311 daughter Father project
Dodge 1500 SRT
Sunbeam tiger
DBF 3rd generation "bubblehead"
unklpat
Roadster Fanatic

Post by unklpat »

Is elk liver as good as moose liver? Can you send me some backstrap? I grew up on venison, not so much any more. You are a lucky guy. Pat