"I'm Not a Car Guy." - A 1967.5 1600 Refurb Saga

Here can put pictures and write-ups about your roadster or other vehicles.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

iloveredmeat
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

"I'm Not a Car Guy." - A 1967.5 1600 Refurb Saga

Post by iloveredmeat »

Not a Car Guy? Then why the heck are you even posting???

Well, I've been thinking about posting my progress story for over a year, but shied away thinking it probably wouldn't be of any value to anyone. That it would be just a selfish creative outlet.

But, after Steve polled the community (that's gotta hurt :shock: ) about whether or not this forum has run its course, I feel a responsibility to contribute.

I finally registered my car and I made a donation. I could only do a small donation at this time, so the only things I really have to offer are some goofy ramblings as I work on refurbishing my original owner 1967.5 1600.

I've benefitted from this community faaar more than I've contributed because – like I'll say a thousand times - I'm not a Car Guy... this is my first-ever grown-up car project. I'm as green as they come, learning as I go, and this forum has been invaluable. I anticipate leaning heavily on all you smart folks in the months to come as I might actually start assembling rather than dismantling.

I really enjoy reading and learning about the people as much as learning about the cars and techniques... so this will likely be as much a personal story as a refurb timeline. That type of read might not be for everyone, but that's all I know how to do right now.

Bottom line, I'm moving from observer to participant because I believe this is an incredible resource, and I want to support that.

So, here goes nothin'...

Next episode: Why a Roadster?
Last edited by iloveredmeat on Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Peter
––
1967.5 1600 – Second Owner – Under Reconstruction
1970 Honda CT70
1953 Airstream 21' Flying Cloud – Second Owner
70MTRoadster
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: "I'm Not a Car Guy." - A 1967.5 1600 Refurb Saga

Post by 70MTRoadster »

Outstanding post and attitude! You CAN do it. I've been a Car Guy all my life and even at 72 I come here for inspiration, ideas, etc. and love the site and the people. Glad to have you here and I'm sure all of us are ready and willing to help you.

Scott
1968 510 Wagon
1970 Roadster 1600/U20/5 sp. swap
1972 510 4 dr. vg30e/5 sp. ricky racer
1971 510 shell behind the shop, r.i.p.

I drive a Roadster or 510 almost every day!
dads311
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dads311 »

With what I think to be the best available resource for the Datsun Roadster owner, I think even a "not a car guy" can restore or just keep one running. I also restored a 67.5 1600 and if there is anything I can do to help you out be sure to ask. I had a little experience with "old" cars before getting my dad's car back, long story, but I knew nothing about it and If I say so myself I think it turned out pretty dang nice, with lots of help from the experience and knowledge on this site.
Mike
rebuilt dads 67.5 1600
1952 GMC 302ci 6cyl w/cam and 3 deuces
1965 Mustang (Wife's)
1971 Nova (Son Claimed)
theunz

Post by theunz »

If everyone here was an expert mechanic then there would be no compelling reason for this forum to exist. It’s the stories about people learning from each other ways to keep these fun cars on the road. I consider myself a pretty competent mechanic, but still find out just how much I don’t know by following other members projects. No matter how trivial you think your project is, someone out there may glean some enlightening information from it.
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!
rwmann

Post by rwmann »

Exactly. Even experts have different ways to skin cats, and wrench on old sports cars.

This resource (and one other, the datsun-roadsters listserv) allows a sounding board and comparison dataset between the way you’re thinking of tackling it, and several other and possibly better ways to skin that cat, wrench on that roadster. The tips and tricks that save weekends.
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

We were ALL not "car guys/gals" at some point! Some of us just started earlier in life to become one! It's about love really, enjoyment, accomplishment, memories. Sharing any and all of that is what makes a car experience valuable, not technical knowledge or ability. That's what makes this a family!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
S Allen
Site Admin

Post by S Allen »

Peter,

Glad you came out to join us and thanks for the encouraging words. I have never let one disgruntled person get to me. I would have thrown the towel in long ago if that was the case. Looking forward to following your progress on your project. Everyone whom participates here adds value to 311s.org one way or another. And, thank you very much for the donation as it is much appreciated.

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
jr02518
Roadster Fanatic

Post by jr02518 »

Peter,

I find my self with a 1970, 1600 in a similar situation. The previous owner, from 1977 to 2020 had used the car, stored it inside and done some maintenance up to a couple of years ago. When the reality of keeping the car a driver finally hit home it was parked.

This web site and community of owners has been invaluable to me and getting my car back on the road. I am not there yet, but I am much closer to that goal than were I started. I started with the rear end and oil leaks. Again, starting with a car that has little or no corrosion and rust has made my job easer. But previous repairs presented to opportunity to return the car to a "stock" configuration and I have chosen that path, in most situations.

Having a later "smog" motor is one of those issues that "stock" was not my path for this car. The vendors that you will find via this site provide services that you might find by chance, but they are all here to get our cars running and back on the road. Your early car as an example has the right distributor. But confirming it is in the correct mechanical condition, with a working vacuum advance and the parts to advance the timing is one of the things you can have done. And should. My car would start but the build up of carbon, everywhere meant I had a problem that would not be fixed until I found the cause.

In my case the rebuild of the distributor identified my cars issues and suggestion via this site led me to fixing, this issue.

Having old German cars has taught me that gaskets are a ware item and have to be replaced, I have that lesson well learned. As opposed to British cars were gasket leak from "new". Now I am dealing with all the grease nipples that might be frozen and have to be useful so the fresh suspension I get to put in my car lasts a while. I am still learning.

David
iloveredmeat

Post by iloveredmeat »

70MTRoadster wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:20 pm You CAN do it.
dads311 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:22 pm I also restored a 67.5 1600 and if there is anything I can do to help you out be sure to ask.
Thank you 70MTRoadster and dads311 for the encouragement and offer to help! That's exactly what I've come to appreciate about this forum.

And when I say I'm not a Car Guy, I don't mean it in a "Woe is me." kind of way... It's more like a "Holy crap, I can't believe I'm actually taking on this project" kind of way. And so the encouragement really helps.

theunz wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:02 pm It’s the stories about people learning from each other ways to keep these fun cars on the road.
rwmann wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:46 pm The tips and tricks that save weekends.
Gregs672000 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:04 pm We were ALL not "car guys/gals" at some point!
Thanks guys, I've actually been working on the car (kind of... more on that later) for a year, and I've definitely inched away from being a total know-nothing, and have made a small amount of progress that I'll share as I post.
S Allen wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:07 am
Everyone whom participates here adds value to 311s.org one way or another.

Steve
Thanks Steve! I reckon I've finally come to that realization... so, I'm going into this posting thing to tell my story - just for fun, and to help keep me more motivated and excited about my project – which is actually 500 miles away!

And maybe someone will enjoy the goofy bits, or learn something, even if it's from my mistakes or when others answer my questions.
jr02518 wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:54 am This web site and community of owners has been invaluable to me and getting my car back on the road.
I agree jr0158! Mine is very far from being back on the road, but I simply can't imagine taking on this project without this forum. It's my car bible.

In a bit, I'm going to write up my car history... just for s***s and giggles... and help explain what led to getting myself into this Roadster mess.

:lol:

Thanks again everyone,
Peter
Peter
––
1970 Honda CT70
Daryl Smith

Post by Daryl Smith »

" I've actually been working on the car (kind of... more on that later) for a year, and I've definitely inched away from being a total know-nothing,"
I know the feeling, I've been 'working' on my own cars for many years, re-move and re-place, type work. Mostly only knowing the part needed to be replaced, not nescessarily understanding the full function of the offending part, just the generalities (distributor, condensor, master cylinder,..etc..).
Doing it the first time can be a bit daunting, but, as you will soon find out, for the most part it's pretty straightforward if you have access to a manual and/or pointers from helpful people...a few around this site... :D
The turning point for me was when I decided I needed more performance...(I couldn't for the life of me understand why the MGB crowd was getting better performance from their 5 and 7 port heads than we were from a proper 8 port head...Just came down to #'s and development, and the fact that Japanese cars were considered 'throw aways' by most of the North American crowds)...that's when the real education started. The importance of airflow, carb's, efi, compression, weight of parts, headers/exhaust, ignition, etc, etc,...It is a really deep rabbit hole if you go down that path....I don't regret it one bit.... :lol:
iloveredmeat

Post by iloveredmeat »

Thanks Daryl, that's very encouraging to hear... and you're certainly way ahead of me on the learning curve.

I actually got a little woozy when you said "5 and 7 port heads"...

:smt119

That stuff's over my head... for now... I really enjoy learning and like research and fiddling and all that stuff, so maybe those are some of the reasons this car project will work.

I reckon I'm just getting a peek over the ledge down into the rabbit hole. :shock:

Thanks again,
Peter
Peter
––
1970 Honda CT70
iloveredmeat

Post by iloveredmeat »

Why a Roadster?

Why did a guy who's not a Car Guy get a Roadster?

I guess it's because of what came before, so bear with me– I'm writing this for no good reason other than fun and to maybe uncover why I got myself into this mess.

But first, one of the many reasons I'm disqualified from being a Car Guy, is because I've only owned 5 daily drivers over the last 37 years (and a brief stint with an important sixth car).

I reckon most of you have bought and sold that many cars in 2021 already.

My car history:
Car #1: Volvo

An early 70's mustard yellow station wagon my mother had bought new. It was handed down to my brother the race-car driver (much more about him later), then handed off to my other brother the drummer in a rock band, then on to my sister who is an angel, and finally on to me.

So, other than my sister, imagine what that poor car went through before it got to me – and I certainly didn't make its life any better.

It barely limped along by the time I got it, and was definitely not the chick-magnet a high school boy dreams about. As a matter of fact it was so ugly it looked like – well, it looked like a mustard yellow Volvo station wagon – it was that ugly.

But it was a more efficient source of transportation than a skateboard, and got me to and from the San Francisco surf for a year or so – until I finally caused its premature demise – death of a thousand cuts – and by 'cuts', I mean crashes. Full disclosure: my nickname in high school was "Crash"– True story, and I earned it.

Car #2: Datsun 510

My race-car brother opened his first performance auto shop when I was 15 or 16, and after the Volvo passed away, my brother took on the task of finding me another car.

He called me one day and said, "I have a car for you. Come get it and bring $500". So, I took the bus to San Rafael, skated to his shop and saw this awesome 2-door lowered Datsun 510. With mags and Yokohamas. Orange, with a black-primer hood and, get this, 'Evidence Tape' across the doors and the hood and the trunk. My brother had a deal with a towing company who owed him some money, and they had impounded this 510 used in a bank robbery.

THIS was the chick magnet a high school boy dreams of!

Apparently my brother hadn’t really even looked at the car before I got there (I think he already had a couple of 510s). And when we opened the hood to assess it, he started yelling loudly: “Fudge! Fudge! Fudge!!!” (but he pronounced it with a lot less soft 'g', and a lot more hard ‘k’ sounds *).

Anyway, I kinda freaked out – figured I just blew $500 and bus fare.

But, actually what he saw was that the air cleaner was rubbing on the underside of the hood, so he immediately recognized it as the bigger engine from a Datsun pickup truck (L20B???). So he was cussing because he just sold his stupid little brother a cool 510 with an awesome engine… but he stuck to his word and the car was mine.

And that car was incredible. Super fast, and handled like a slot car. The closest I’ve ever been to being a Car Guy…

…and was likely the only reason I ever got a girlfriend.

It did have a perpetual gas fume leak though, which may explain some things.

5+ years later, and the 510 (“Brodie” ) finally had enough. After moving to San Diego for college, my new neighbors filed a formal complaint about the blue smoke every morning – I was given a fine and a fix-it. Couldn’t fix it. So, sadly, Brodie went off to the junkyard… sigh…

Best $500 I’ve ever spent.

Car #3: 1979 Toyota FJ40

This was the ideal surf rig, and I drove it into Northern Baja Mexico weekly to go surfing, even a couple of times to Cabo.

When I reluctantly sold it, I found a handful of rotted $20 bills under the carpet. I had stashed them there to pay off the Federales every time they pulled over that long-haired gringo in a Landcruiser with surfboards on top. That actually happened a lot, probably every 3rd trip down, so the hidden twenties came in handy.

After graduating college, for years I commuted an hour each way to San Clemente in that car, and finally sold it when we had our first baby daughter… it just wasn’t the Family Truckster nor the Gas Efficient Commuter.

Sometime during that time we bought our 1953 Airstream trailer (for $1000!), so the next car I bought was:

Car #4: 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 with tow package.

Great car. Uneventful… other than the fact that we traveled all over the West - trailering, fishing, surfing, hunting, a couple trips to Cabo, and I never had a lick of trouble.

After about 200,000+ miles I upgraded to my current car:

Car #5: 2005 Toyota 4Runner V8 with tow package

I love this car to this day - even at 175,000 miles. It’s gotten me in and out of a lot of incredible places… I’ve trailered all over the west with it. I’d buy another one in a second.

And lastly, Car #6: A brief, steamy affair with a Chrysler Sebring convertible.

This proved to be a very important car.

My older daughter had just gotten her driver license, but we hadn’t gotten her a car yet, so she would drop me at work on her way to school, and then she or my wife would come pick me up - only a 4 mile commute.

One day, she came to pick me up and we had to get to a bank quickly to deposit a check that day. So, we navigate to the bank in time, but it’s closed because of a power outage, so now we’re in a real hurry to find another branch before it closes… she’s driving, I’m barking directions… not fun. And we miss the bank. We’re both cranky.

It was a quiet drive home, and I’m thinking I have to get this poor girl a car - for the sake of familial peace - and just then, as we drive past my neighbor’s – he’s standing out on the corner looking like a lunatic about to explode. We stop, I cautiously roll down the window an inch or two, and while he's pointing at a very tired looking Chrysler Sebring Convertible, he insists that I have to “Buy this fudging* car right now!!!”

(He buys and sells cars and was helping us look for a car)

Story is he had just bought the Chrysler for his stepdaughter. She came outside, looked up from her phone, and said that it was ‘too ugly’, stared back down at her phone and walked back into the house.

Now you know why he was fuming.

So, I said, “What are you talking about??? No. That thing’s not even close to what I’m looking for. And it is ugly.”

Neighbor says, “Runs great. Power convertible top works. It’ll get you through the summer until we find your daughter a car.”

“How much?”

“$500

“I’ll be right back with cash.”

I have very little shame.

Fast forward a couple of months – We bought my daughter a Prius, I got my 4Runner back.

But that Chrysler (I called it the ‘Sebring-It-On’) lasted two summers and was the second-best five hundred bucks I’ve ever spent.

Sebring-It-On was hideously awesome and was responsible for getting me hooked on a convertible.

You see where I’m going with this? Roadsters are convertibles.

But even more important than that is that my race-car brother actually owned a 1970 2000 Roadster when I was young… my favorite car he’s ever had.

Next up… the Search and the Find. And shorter, I promise.

* Extra Credit: Further research – nearly 8 minutes of gripping video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqL9ivPb09A
vs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YJdNE8na9M
Last edited by iloveredmeat on Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
––
1970 Honda CT70
bajaroadster

Post by bajaroadster »

datsun photoshop.jpg
Truely enjoying your back story. Next time your on your way to Cabo, stop in and see us in Loreto. Been here 3 years now and loving it. Pic is of my 67.5 1600. And yes, it is in Loreto.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ive seen normal. It aint pretty.
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

Loving the Story! Happy to read part two! We all of us can only live our own lives, but it's fun to learn about your life and see how we intersect in our interests and experiences. Every single experience of life is completely unique, and I enjoy every one I hear about... like the hidden $20s... write on my friend, write on!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
iloveredmeat

Post by iloveredmeat »

bajaroadster wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:07 pm
datsun photoshop.jpg
Truely enjoying your back story. Next time your on your way to Cabo, stop in and see us in Loreto. Been here 3 years now and loving it. Pic is of my 67.5 1600. And yes, it is in Loreto.
Hi Baja! Thank you, and that is sooo cool that you have your car down there. You must be a rockstar. I hope to make it back down someday, and when I do, I'll reach out for sure. Loreto is one of my favorite spots on the drive!
Gregs672000 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:57 pm Loving the Story! Happy to read part two! We all of us can only live our own lives, but it's fun to learn about your life and see how we intersect in our interests and experiences. Every single experience of life is completely unique, and I enjoy every one I hear about... like the hidden $20s... write on my friend, write on!
Thanks so much Troublemaker, er Greg...

I'm really glad you guys have enjoyed it, it's been fun actually. So far... :D

"...write on!"?

Okay, you asked for it.
Peter
––
1970 Honda CT70