B cam

Put part numbers and suppliers here!

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

yusef
Roadster Fanatic

B cam

Post by yusef »

Hi all,

I'm looking at getting a B cam for my U20. Does anyone have any vendor recommendations?

Thanks
Joseph
PatS
Site Supporter

Re: B cam

Post by PatS »

rwmann
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by rwmann »

There’s a purported BRE cam listed on eBay (not mine) that may be of interest, if you are going all-in:

"Datsun 2000 Roadster Vintage Racing Cam Shaft.

Condition is "Used". Shipped with USPS Priority Mail.

This is a vintage racing camshaft which appears to have been produced or provided by BRE. The markings on the shaft are listed as follows:

REED

Y72C

B.R.E

OCFP 02

Z-196

Additional markings on the heel of the cam are: CROWERW8511

This would appear to be an ISKY Z-196 grind on a Billet Cam but I cannot be certain as I don’t have a spec sheet for it or any way of measuring the specifications. It appears to be in excellent condition. This cam is likely more than 40 years old and was with a group of old racing parts that have since been sold off. The lobes don’t appear to show any wear but I cannot attest to when it was last used or how much.

Please look at the photos as they define the condition of this part. Buyer takes responsibility for application suitability. No warranties or returns are offered."

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-2000-Ro ... 3821208915
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

That cam looks perfect from what I can see. However, a Z-196 is a big cam that may benefit from/require an adjustable cam gear to make it work on the street. Spyder runs a Z-196 but he has modified his car to take advantage of how it works with rear end gearing and an adjustable cam gear.

My suggestion would be to locate an A cam and have it used as a core with the vendors, or send it to a cam grinder like Delta Cam in Tacoma. They have numerous U20 grinds and could talk to you about what you're looking for. A B cam is only one option. Also calculate $ in new or reground rockers and possibly some thicker lash pads to get the cam to wipe properly on the rocker.

The owner of this cam could send it to Delta and they will profile it for you.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
AidanDawn2000
Roadsteraholic

Post by AidanDawn2000 »

I got my B cam from Mike Young (http://www.datsunsports.com/) and as always he was a great seller!!
Oil a little low? Time to get a longer dipstick:)
Instagram!!!
1968 2000 SRL311-05110 (first car! Rust Bucket. Sold :( )
1969 2000 SRL311-10440 (matching numbers, Solex!)