Any Value in Keeping the 1600?

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Ralph
Site Supporter

Any Value in Keeping the 1600?

Post by Ralph »

We are downsizing and I'll need to choose soon whether to keep and store the "spare" 1600 and (probably) original rad, 4-speed & drive shaft, or dispose of them. The engine number matches the frame.

I've had a look at some of the threads discussing the merits and market values of original vs swapped & modified Roadster (the drivetrain now has a U20 with 5-speed; the dash is a modified flat-dash...more info if you look up SPL311 17277 here), and it seems there is a 50-50 split on the opinions of the value of all original vs swapped & modified. Seems there is truth to the saying that the car is worth exactly what a buyer is willing to pay for it.

Unless there is a strong argument for not keeping the original drivetrain, I'm leaning towards prepping and wrapping it all to keep for the long-term.

I'm open to thoughts...thanks.
Ralph

Rolling restoration of white 1968 SPL311
theunz
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: Any Value in Keeping the 1600?

Post by theunz »

Might be a rare and valuable item in 50 years. Will you be here to capitalize on it. I don’t think that for the foreseeable future there will be any great value in converting back to original. That being said, I am reluctant to dispose of any of my old parts despite their deplorable condition. Much to my kids dismay I am fortunate to have room to store them. If you are like most of us, our children will throw away all sorts of valuable items simply because they don’t know their true worth.
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!
redroadster
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600

Post by redroadster »

Ah yeah
You may have to go back stock
Engine swaps are not really insurable , cause it ceases to be a Datsun 311 at that point . I've never seen a policy that allowed a completely different engine
I've kinda dropped talking of it but it fits here , don't need a discussion on it
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

If you have the space, why not?! Down the road if you, or your kids sell it, I think it would be a pretty major bonus to say "I have the original matching #'s Block/drivetrain" either included or at additional cost- it could be a good kicker for the deal.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
bobd
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000

Post by bobd »

I am saving the complete original numbers rolling chassis & engine to sell with the swapped out rolling chassis the body sits on now.
'69 1600 with SR20DE
Ralph
Site Supporter

Post by Ralph »

Thanks for the feedback.

Of our 3 kids, our son is the most interested in the car, its history and heritage. So I'll continue with my drift towards the "someday, maybe" 1600 rebuilt, and make it into "our" long-term project. He has his 2008 Subaru Legacy wagon to make his own first (a long list of tweaks...everything from mud flaps to cold air intakes and suspension) and I still have an equally long list for the Roadster.

So far, storage space is going to be a bit tricky ... but not impossible.

I'll read up on prepping the engine & tranny for safe, long-term storage.

Thanks again ... it is great to have a forum to throw an idea out there and have comments and other people's experiences shared.
Ralph

todd lorber
Roadsteraholic

Post by todd lorber »

So, when you say "downsizing" does that mean you are getting rid of things, or moving to a smaller place?
If you can hold onto the original items you'll be able to offer a more complete package if you elect to sell down the road.
Ralph
Site Supporter

Post by Ralph »

Yes to both ... on the downsizing. I need to get rid of about 6 bins of extra parts, and we are moving to a smaller place. The engine is the most problematic due to the weight. But I think new heavy duty castors replacing what the engine is on now might do the trick. Hopefully over the next 4 - 6 weeks I'll be able to get most sorted and sent to those who have the need or the space. Tricky part is shipping things out of the country ... it is possible, it just takes a while.
Ralph