Is anyone auto crossing their Roadster?

For the racers out there!

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

redroadster
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: Is anyone auto crossing their Roadster?

Post by redroadster »

jr02518 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:30 am In today's world, it's the tires. If you are running 200 tread ware ( 200 tw ) or harder you run H Street with a 1600. The 2.0 on the 200tw tires, you run in E Street.
If you are running Hoosers ( Purple Crack ) your running in the prepared class, FSP or CSP. Again, depends on motor displacement.

All the things you have done to your car in all cases, will be limited or enhanced buy your choice of tires. Please come out and check the new world of "miniature road courses", that we run at todays events. Yes, if you leave your Hoosers at home and install a ( pick you brand ) of the new 200tw tires you, run in the Street class. That is, at the So Cal events. The run group is called "Historic".

We even have a class for the cars running the engine swaps.

I wish the old Sprite's would come out to run, they have all disappeared.
A auto parts asst.Manager here had 5-6 sprites
All auto cross only here and a few MGBs
I had asked him if any were for sale a few times
I was wanting to drive on street though.
After I bought my 311 , he sold all of them over a few months for $1500-2500.each .. he said
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
jr02518
Roadster Fanatic

Post by jr02518 »

My latest order of parts is in, the refresh will continue. Based on the size of my order, the complimentary starter was included. Taking a page from an other manufacture I will be adding lightness to the car.

Having owned, driven and maintained a 1964 Series 1 Elan I will confirm that the OE starter, just like the Datsun item, is a porker in comparison. The new/much lighter item will be installed tested soon.
jr02518
Roadster Fanatic

Post by jr02518 »

At the risk of "upsetting the apple kart" or "rocking the boat", lets talk about brakes. The stock ones. That do not weight as much as some of the known alternatives. That have small brake pads. Ok, tinny.

Un sprung weight is one of many things that I will not have the luxury of overcoming. Given that the class I am building the car to, does not allow some of the changes that money can buy but are not technically, legal. If you allow your self to remember some of the cars that also came equipped with this combination of disks and calipers, they were way better than drums. Yes, they are not vented rotors. I am now, over it!

If you call Danny at G-Loc and ask for a pad that works for an auto cross car, he has the solution. Mine are not road race pads. If you want to know how much, ask him. I get to use the braided lines purchased as part of a set, from an other vendor. And yes my rims and tires are costing me given how much they weight. I don't always win every battle, yet.
Last edited by jr02518 on Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Daryl Smith
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Daryl Smith »

What's legal?
If I remember correctly someone said the 240Z calipers can be made to work with the stock disk. Slightly bigger pads?
Don't know if it would be heavier or lighter.....
jr02518
Roadster Fanatic

Post by jr02518 »

Let see, coming up on the first anniversary of roadster ownership with no miles behind the wheel, driving the car. In parts alone I have 70% of what I paid for the car spent again. I did have a 100% thresh hold built in when I took on this car.

Driving it will make all the money worth it. That and getting to some events!
jr02518
Roadster Fanatic

Post by jr02518 »

When purchased the car had a tachometer that that was a place holder, but had no needle. The cable had been disconnected and by pure luck and the application of money a replacement was found. It was in fact one of the first replacement parts I had purchased and with the replacement cable in had it was added to the list of things to fix. Ten months ago.

I had located a vintage Racemark stearing wheel and with the seats out of the car getting rebuilt I figured it was a great time to have unobstructed access
to the dash to remove that tach. If it wasn't for that one wing nut. If you haven't met that nut, you will. I have. I am reminded that these cars might have been assembled by adults that are smaller than me. With hands that would allow them to put things together that were never intended to be worked on by someone with its my size mitts.

But now everything under the hood that has needed attention to again have a runner, is just about done. And the wing nut beckons. But there is a plan. A quarter inch socket with a slot cut into it plan. We will persist, with at the application of effort and the giving of some blood all things are possible.

Right?
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

Blood, effort and money! Good luck!
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
jr02518
Roadster Fanatic

Post by jr02518 »

In no particular order, we have some success. The passenger seat is installed. The car is again running, it will run better with some additional attention. The tachometer is not yet in place.

This boils down to a wing nut that will not give it up, yet. Not touching that one.

Now the rebuilding of the front end becomes the focus. I have some parts on hand, Thank you Dean. I know the next order will be getting drawn up, there seems to no end to this project. But I know for a fact that I will not be doing body work or paint on this car. I am going to embrace the patina!
jr02518
Roadster Fanatic

Post by jr02518 »

Now that we are getting closer to a running and driving car, a picture dump!

Starting with some very wet, oil soaked parts we...

Disassemble. Remembering that we are not restoring the car. Just getting it to become a driver.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jr02518
Roadster Fanatic

Post by jr02518 »

Then removing the parts and cleaning them.

The car only has 135,000 miles on it and has been stored inside a garage for years. I have to admit Yes, I am very lucky.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jr02518
Roadster Fanatic

Post by jr02518 »

The list of parts and gaskets used to this point did not include rebuilding the pumpkin of the differential. I did find and purchase a spare for a future LSD project. One issue I did have was the new rear brake wheel cylinders would not work with the rear brake hard line as found on the car. Dean was the source for all the needed parts for this refresh. My rear brake drums did clean up with a lite turning. I spent the money saved in other ways!

[/img][/img]
jr02518
Roadster Fanatic

Post by jr02518 »

Moving to the front of the car, the oil pan had taken a hit, that diminished the volume of oil it could leak past the oil pan gasket and then attract road grime. Replacing the gasket allowed me to spent money on a pan that is not an increase in size but did allow to confirm that their was nothing in the sump that belonged bolted to the motor. Again, more pictures!

Image[/img]
jr02518
Roadster Fanatic

Post by jr02518 »

The cascade of replacing leaking gaskets included the gear box. When removed the lower cover revealed nothing than parts that again where as they should be. All that was required was a fresh coat of paint and gear lube. I did purchase a spare gear box, having it allows me the piece of mind that when the kids are rowing the floppy lever we have options. Given the obvious.

The addition of this brace should be on everyones list. Again, thank you Dean.

jr02518
Roadster Fanatic

Post by jr02518 »

I did replace other things, that pictures did not included. They included the transmission mount and engine mounts. Dry rotted or turned to goo, all where bad.

No, no pictures.
jr02518
Roadster Fanatic

Post by jr02518 »

Now the rebuilding of the seats. The previous owner was very petite. The attached picture was as I found the car. The seats are that close to the steering wheel. An extra layer of foam had been added to boost the bottoms. If you look closely you can see they are flat, no bolster.
All of that was about to change.