Good morning and Hello! New to site and soon to be new owner

Here you can introduce yourself to the group.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

v8_ranch
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Good morning and Hello! New to site and soon to be new owner

Post by v8_ranch »

Good morning. Well I am about to do a thing, haha. I am picking up what I believe to be now is a 1968 2000 with some PO mods from days gone by. It has round side marker lights in both front and year (someone else told me they they they are Mopar lights). The car has seen some more glorious days to be sure, at least I hope so, haha. She's rough but engine is not locked up and I am ready to try to put her back on the road again. I will probably be going the resto-mod direction with it. Looking forward to learning all I can about these little cars. Have always thought they were a cool car, especially the rear end. I am an air-cooled 911 guy, but sold my first year cabriolet right before the air-cooled market exploded (doh!), and until those things ever get back to a respectable dollar value (which based on this year I am doubtful they ever will), I have been trying to decide on what to get to satisfy my classic motoring desire. Had been thinking MG or Triumph, but I think now I have found my new direction. Here are some before pics... wish me luck.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by v8_ranch on Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shane

1968 SRL Project
v8_ranch
Roadster Fanatic

Re: Good morning and Hello! New to site and soon to be new owner

Post by v8_ranch »

a few more pics... looks like I have some new floor pans in the future, and a new trunk lid... among other things, haha. Really kind of dig the seats though. Does anyone know if that is a factory upholstery option, or a PO add at some point?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shane

1968 SRL Project
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

Definitely not factory interior, nor any factory option :-). That is quite a project!
Welcome!! There is lots to learn here and you should probably spend some time reading around the the tech wiki to get some good insight.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by C.Costine »

I am pretty sure that you can purchase Lucas smoke in a resealable bottle now so that when you start to think that you should have gone Triumph or MG you can let a little out and remind yourself why you didn't.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
v8_ranch
Roadster Fanatic

Post by v8_ranch »

C.Costine wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:46 pm I am pretty sure that you can purchase Lucas smoke in a resealable bottle now so that when you start to think that you should have gone Triumph or MG you can let a little out and remind yourself why you didn't.
One of the finniest things I have read in a while, haha, well done
Shane

1968 SRL Project
greydog
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600

Post by greydog »

The lights indicate a 69..
Ross at Sports Imports makes great replacement floor pcs.
This is going to be a lot of work. What are you planning for the car, both near and far term?
Dan
SPL311 aka Skooter. Sold. Now wasting away in the SF area.
1990 Nissan 300zx. Sold this one too.
2018 VW Tiguan
v8_ranch
Roadster Fanatic

Post by v8_ranch »

Greydog, I will probably do things in stages. first stage will be to learn all I can about the little cars and get the thing back to roadworthy. My wife operates better when my projects are running and driving projects. I will reassess once I pick it up tomorrow and get a first hand look at things (I’ve bought a lot of cars and pictures rarely tell the tale - hoping this one is better than pics, haha). Depending on the amount of rust and workload, I may go resto-mod with it. I love the rover v8s and think this might be a great place to put one, but the more I hear video clips of that 2L revving up, the more I am inclined to stick with stock, but then build what I can out of it as far as performance enhancements. I also come from the school of thought that lightening a car up is cheaper HP (sometimes, haha). Lots to learn and looking forward to the journey (I think). My main focus will be a car that is reliable enough to take on spirited drives to Nashville and beyond (I am 2 hours from BNA). I used to organize such drives for some Porsche and Ferrari friends when I had my 911SC. I miss those drives. I know it will not be tomorrow with this car, but hoping to have it ready to drive by spring weather, which can be March here, but April fro sure). Will know more in a few days after I have the car home and inspected.
Shane

1968 SRL Project
greydog

Post by greydog »

Sounds like a reasonable plan. There's a lot of info in the Wiki and past forum posts.
Keep us updated on what you decide and on you progress.
Dan
SPL311 aka Skooter. Sold. Now wasting away in the SF area.
1990 Nissan 300zx. Sold this one too.
2018 VW Tiguan
v8_ranch
Roadster Fanatic

Post by v8_ranch »

Basically going to let the car tell me where to go with things...
Shane

1968 SRL Project
DAC21
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by DAC21 »

Wish I had a money Tree, all I have is a dying Apple tree that looks like it's going to cost me $300 to have taken out. That is a PROJECT, all the best. Matching numbers don't mean much in the community or resale market. An idea, maybe keep the drive train and find a clean 1600 Body / Frame.

A very knowledgeable 311s member just mentioned in another thread this last week, frame and body resto can set you back 10k (rust, rust, rust, also I suspect he started with something much better than you are) Additionally your Cockpit is trashed.

An extremely clean 1600 just sold on eBay for $8600. A flat dash 66/67/67.5 with a 2000 drive train is very desirable. If you are looking to do this right in terms of quality of resto, I think you save 20K+ finding a clean 1600 for that 2000 drive train to drop in. Then again if your drive train is as bad as the rest of that Car you may have nothing to start with. Just playing devils advocate, keeping it real.
1967 1600 in waiting SPL311-09002 / R-28178
2018 Hyundai Elantra GT Sport Ultimate
v8_ranch
Roadster Fanatic

Post by v8_ranch »

You guys are really inspiring haha
Shane

1968 SRL Project
DAC21
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by DAC21 »

v8_ranch wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:37 pm You guys are really inspiring haha

No, just a dose of smelling salts.
1967 1600 in waiting SPL311-09002 / R-28178
2018 Hyundai Elantra GT Sport Ultimate
v8_ranch
Roadster Fanatic

Post by v8_ranch »

DAC21 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:28 pm
v8_ranch wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:37 pm You guys are really inspiring haha

No, just a dose of smelling salts.
Haha, probably so. hoping it looks considerably worse than it is under the trash and dirt. I know trunk and probably trunk pan is toast, I know driver floor pan needs patched or replaced, have to clean it up to see full measure.
Shane

1968 SRL Project
v8_ranch
Roadster Fanatic

Post by v8_ranch »

The dash looks good, haha. I mean I didn’t notice any cracks! That’s got to be a bonus...
Shane

1968 SRL Project
v8_ranch
Roadster Fanatic

Post by v8_ranch »

Pics from the dark side...

Ok, this looks surface and superficial for the most part to me. Does this frame show any of you seasoned Roadster people something that makes you want to run away? I understand it is needing some work, but structurally, seems pretty sound at first glance, but maybe I am missing something...
Shane

1968 SRL Project