Current Scheduled Events Will Be Listed Here

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

theunz
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: LGGPR 2020

Post by theunz »

Shannon, you are free to choose any number you want as long as it’s not being held for someone who used it in your specific mph group last year. There is a place in your registration to list your desired number.
The problem might be that you may not be able to change the info online. I had that problem when I registered. When I finally hit submit it only showed me signed up for a free T-shirt! I had to reregister with a different email in order to get properly signed up. They were having trouble with their email system, fixed now.
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!
theunz

Post by theunz »

If anyone else is thinking of going time is running out. Registration ends October 1st. And early registration which can save a little money ends September 15th. You can try to register at the event on Oct 9th. but if all their classes are full then you are out of luck! Of course you can always spectate. At this point I know that myself and Shannon are going and I think Steve Allen as well. There are 3 cars from the Kansas area that are usually there, but since they are not very active on the forum I can’t say for sure. Also Keith from Texas has shown interest but to my knowledge has not yet committed. Come on Keith “just do it”!
Remember that the Nissan Z cars are the featured car this year, so there should be a number of them there.
If you don’t have a blast at this event than you might as well sell your Roadster and take up stamp collecting :roll:
Mike M

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by S Allen »

Sadly, I will not make it this year. Looks like a fun event. I am sure those whom attend will have a blast. Next year for sure.

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
sfdaugherty
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by sfdaugherty »

Darn. I was looking forward to seeing you.

Shannon
69 2000 SRL311-10088 (Type 4 Solexes)
68 SR20DE SPL311-18735 (SR20DE S15 Autech)
68 2000 SRL311-01179 (Restoration underway)
68 1600 SPL311-20462 SOLD! After 41 years in the family
cktrap
Roadsteraholic

Post by cktrap »

Mike I’m real torn between Nismo Fiesta and the LGGPR both are happening the same weekend. San Antonio is closer to me and I had a blast when I went a few years ago. My buddy who painted my car, Hot Rod Dave wants to show his roadster at Nismo so I’m leaning that way. I have to decide in the next couple of days. I’ll keep you posted.
036810AD-3EBA-42D6-962D-D3F85ECDE115.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'70 SRL311
'10 GMC 2500HD
theunz

Post by theunz »

Well it’s nice to have choices Keith, and San Antonio is much closer than Kansas. LGGPR does give you a chance to drive your car in a safe spirited manor instead of looking at a parked car. However as you said you previously had a blast at Nismo Fest, so only you can decide. The good thing is that the same opportunity will exist again next year... we’ll hope so anyway!

Steve, sorry to hear that you won’t make it this year either. Like Shannon, I was looking forward to meeting you also.

It would be great to get some kind of annual event going for those of us in mid America, and LGGPR would be a good venue to get something started. I’ll keep pushing it, and maybe slowly but surely We can increase participation. I bet after this years event Shannon will be as enthusiastic as I am.
Mike M

jabel
Roadster Fanatic

Post by jabel »

This will be the first time we've missed LGGPR since we discovered it 6 or 7 years ago.

Have a Great time and enjoy the perfect weather that has been forecasted.

Happy motoring!!!
66-SPL-02082
67-SPL-07016
theunz

Post by theunz »

Sorry to hear that you won’t be there Jim. Hope Mannon makes it again this year. Hopefully next year.
Mike M

ZeroNilNada

Post by ZeroNilNada »

I'm planning to be there! Taking Friday off so I can get an early start on the drive.

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Mannon
1966 SPL311 02870
ZeroNilNada

Post by ZeroNilNada »

theunz wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:30 pm Well it’s nice to have choices Keith, and San Antonio is much closer than Kansas. LGGPR does give you a chance to drive your car in a safe spirited manor instead of looking at a parked car. However as you said you previously had a blast at Nismo Fest, so only you can decide. The good thing is that the same opportunity will exist again next year... we’ll hope so anyway!

Steve, sorry to hear that you won’t make it this year either. Like Shannon, I was looking forward to meeting you also.

It would be great to get some kind of annual event going for those of us in mid America, and LGGPR would be a good venue to get something started. I’ll keep pushing it, and maybe slowly but surely We can increase participation. I bet after this years event Shannon will be as enthusiastic as I am.
I like this idea. I'll be up for participating! :D
1966 SPL311 02870
ZeroNilNada

Post by ZeroNilNada »

theunz wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:54 pm If anyone else is thinking of going time is running out. Registration ends October 1st. And early registration which can save a little money ends September 15th. You can try to register at the event on Oct 9th. but if all their classes are full then you are out of luck! Of course you can always spectate. At this point I know that myself and Shannon are going and I think Steve Allen as well. There are 3 cars from the Kansas area that are usually there, but since they are not very active on the forum I can’t say for sure. Also Keith from Texas has shown interest but to my knowledge has not yet committed. Come on Keith “just do it”!
Remember that the Nissan Z cars are the featured car this year, so there should be a number of them there.
If you don’t have a blast at this event than you might as well sell your Roadster and take up stamp collecting :roll:
I was one of the 3 in 2019. Nice to see other Roadsters there, for sure. Here's a picture of the three cars.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1966 SPL311 02870
theunz

Post by theunz »

Ahh, Mannon. I was trying to remember your screen name. I guess I’ll see you there :D
Mike M

theunz

Post by theunz »

Well, for those of you who considered going and didn’t, you missed a great time and fun event! The weather was outstanding, except perhaps for the heavy dew that covered my entire topless car each morning! Once again only three roadsters made the trip, Mannon, Shannon, and myself. Jim and Alex Able were unable to bring their car but showed up on Sunday to watch. Shannon ran the autocross on Saturday and was quite entertaining when his drivers door latch failed and his door flew open on his second run! Fortunately Garnett is a very small town and my buddy randy took him to an auto parts store and then to a hardware store were they were able to Get a screw to reattach the latch. In spite of all that he returned in time to get his full five runs in. I got a pretty good video of his final run, but being the electronics moron that I am, I shot it in super fast motion. His son thinks that he can fix it, so I emailed him the files. Maybe Shannon will post it once it’s finished. After the autocross ended, about 12:30 we headed downtown to the auto show. Spent the rest of the afternoon there wandering around or sitting under a shade tree shooting the Bull. As usual the roadsters drew a strong crowd all day long. As I mentioned previously, there is a wide variety of cars that come to this event. The car show is kind of like a cars and coffee, where new cars are arriving all afternoon. A highlight is when the unmuffled vintage race cars drive from the track to the downtown show all at once. It’s quite a rumble!
Sunday was track time for us. We were all in the 80mph class this year. You get a morning and an afternoon session each lasting about 20 minutes. In the first session there was a mid sixties Vette between me and the other two roadsters. Of course the Vette was fast on the turns but not so good in the corners and left a big gap between myself and the other roadsters. The group I was in, a couple of Porsche’s, a BMW, a Cobra replica, and a MGA were all pretty well matched and were able to drive as hard as we wanted. In the afternoon session the grid marshal arranged it so that all three of us were nose to tail. And we got to chase each other until we caught up with the pesky Vette, witch of course slowed us down a little in some of the corners.
All in All it was fabulous weekend and I very much enjoyed meeting Shannon for the first time, and seeing Mannon and the Able’s again.

By the way, for all you weenie’s who think it’s too far to drive... Shannon left his house in Albuquerque a week ago Sunday, drove to Z Car Garage in San Jose on Tuesday, got his car tuned on Tuesday, arrived back in Albuquerque on Wednesday, slept a couple of hours, arrived at my house in Oklahoma Thursday evening, then we drove to the event on Friday, returned to Catoosa on Sunday evening and he returned home on Monday. I believe he said his trip was over 3000 miles!

Next year...NO EXCUSES :D :D :D
Last edited by theunz on Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike M

ZeroNilNada

Post by ZeroNilNada »

Great recap, Mike!

It was a great time with great people. It would be nice to see a dozen or more roadsters there next year!

I did run my car in the first 100 mph class but not the second. I started hearing a noise I didn’t like and since I still had to drive 140 miles home, decided it may be wise not to push it. She drove great all the way home but I haven’t had time to diagnose anything yet.

I’ll get some pictures and video assembled and posted as soon as I can get time to gather everything up from my three cameras!

Mannon
1966 SPL311 02870
revbang1
Roadster Newby

Post by revbang1 »

I plan on going for the first time this year. I'm coming from Washington, Missouri, southwest of St. Louis. I have a 67 1600 that runs well now. I'll be entering it in the 60 mph class. I have a few things to sort out this spring and summer, but should be in good shape. Mark
20211116_155126.jpg