Japanese cutie

Here can put pictures and write-ups about your roadster or other vehicles.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

augsburger
Site Supporter

Re: Japanese cutie

Post by augsburger »

Haven't posted for a while, as I've been enjoying the driving. But, here are a couple pics of a JT carb setup using Mikuni HSRs (Harley carbs). I've found them less finicky to tune than SUs and the increase in power is quite noticeable. A good alternative if you're looking for a bit more out of your 1600 motor. Still not completely dialed in, but better than any set of SU's that I own.
20211105_115235_HDR.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I haven't felt like that since 7th grade...
70 SPL
83 F-250 460 c.i. puller
couple of others
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

Looking great! Excellent that you are having fun! Sweet motor...
LT/JT
https://www.datsunrestorationproducts.com/
Only the very BEST parts for your Datsun- 10000's of items in stock
New, Used and Reproduction!
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

Interesting set up, looks pretty easy linkage-wise, allows for the same choke cables to be used, and it looks like there's a port for vacuum advance if you want... pretty complete replacement! Do you have a velocity stack inside the filter? If so, I'm not dissing it, but I've read that anything that touches the edge of the stack will interrupt airflow and just thought I'd pass that on. I bet they work great.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

The HSR inlet is a machined radius velocity stack, so only the filter is required. They do work very well👍.
LT/JT
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

JT68 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 10:54 pm The HSR inlet is a machined radius velocity stack, so only the filter is required. They do work very well👍.
That's really cool. I was lucky enough to have had a solex manifold, but had I not I think this kind of set up would have been the performance upgrade direction I would have sought. Is this a kit you are selling (given the mention of JT... wasn't sure if that was you or just a coincidence)? With the right ancillary parts this looks like a simple swap and tune set up and that isn't often the case.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

Hi Greg, yes sometimes we build these to order for special projects. Very tune-able carb setup. This was an engine project w/light FW, 123 and HSR's. Very zippy from what I hear-so I'm working on another similar engine now for a car here. One of these days I hope for a ride in the TX_japan_cutie :)
LT/JT
augsburger
Site Supporter

Post by augsburger »

Yes, JT(68) built not only the carb setup but the motor as well. My SU stories could fill a book and JT saved the day. He built the motor for reliability and longevity and it has proven itself well. The HSR's are frankly modern carbs compared to a 1920's design and allowed me trouble free driving instead of garage time fiddling with old M39 needles that can't be replaced (among other SU issues). Next...gauges and dash.
Now back in a box...
SUs1.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I haven't felt like that since 7th grade...
70 SPL
83 F-250 460 c.i. puller
couple of others