’64 Roadster Rebuild SPL310-02570C, aka, The Lump.

Here can put pictures and write-ups about your roadster or other vehicles.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Fetch
Roadster Fanatic

Re: ’64 Roadster Rebuild SPL310-02570C, aka, The Lump.

Post by Fetch »

Well, I was hoping to get a couple more weeks before the cold weather set in. It turned cold and snowed this morning. Still lots of things to do. I would still like to fire the engine up before winter.
Fetch
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Fetch »

Saturday morning, thought I would give a short update. This month marks the 5 year anniversary of owning the car and I still have not driven it. Next spring is my goal.
After I put the engine and trans in I continued working on the electrical. Then the little gremlins showed up. Put the car up in the air to replace the pinion seal and get the driveline in. I am still trying to find the correct replacement seal. Got the exhaust manifold and starter in, then had to pull the starter back out to fix a broken screw that holds the solenoid on.
While I was under the car I noticed a leaking front brake wheel cylinder. I rebuilt all of them so, one out of six leaking is not bad. I am sourcing a new cylinder because the one that is leaking was the worst of the bunch. I need to put the starter back in an have a new battery cable made. So the car will be up in the air for awhile but lots of other things to do.
Dan
Fetch
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Fetch »

Been a while since my last post. I have been able to work on the car more in the last two weeks, warmer weather and my lights actually come on in the garage. Still sorting out leaky brake cylinders.
Drive line and pinion seal in.
Radiator and hoses are in.
Electrical almost done. I will be getting a battery this week.
Hooking up some after market gauges for the oil press, alt., temp and fuel press.
Need to put oil in diff, trans and engine.
My plan is to power up the car (to see what smokes) and prime the engine this weekend.
As near as I can tell, this will be the first time in 40 years the car will be under its own power. Should be exciting. I am going to video the event.
Fetch
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Fetch »

Just a quick update,
I was going to start the engine this weekend but, the weather turned. A few inches of blowing snow, 20 deg F with wind chill down around 0 deg.
My garage is not heated but, I can keep the wind off of me. I wanted to push the car out of the garage so if it explodes it won't burn down my garage.
Still lots to do on the car. Maybe next weekend.
Dan
Fetch
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Fetch »

Well, after too long a delay, hooked up the battery. No direct shorts, clock started then stopped. Engine cranks over. I need to get gas. Most of the lights work, still need to clean contacts. Turn signals work, brake lights do not.
I will make more progress this week.
2mAn
Roadsteraholic

Post by 2mAn »

Time to post some more pictures and a "first start" video
Simon
Current Cars:
-1999 Porsche 911 4/98-build, 3.8L M96
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

Waiting for the birth of your baby!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Fetch
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Fetch »

Simon, I actually did make a video of hooking up the battery. After reviewing the video I realized, I am not an actor, I need a haircut and I need to lose some more weight. I will make a better video of the actual start up.

Greg, I feel more like Dr. Frankenstein, scavenging parts from donor cars (from GA, WI, AZ, CA, OR & WA) to put the car back together. Hooking the battery up to see whats alive and not terribly concerned about how the patient looks.
Dan
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

Do you have to wait for a full on Thunderstorm with lightening to fire her up?
:-)
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by C.Costine »

Fetch wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:55 am Well, after too long a delay, hooked up the battery. No direct shorts, clock started then stopped. Engine cranks over. I need to get gas. Most of the lights work, still need to clean contacts. Turn signals work, brake lights do not.
I will make more progress this week.
You may need the "magic" clock oil. I got some and applied it and presto! the clock works! If you want I will look to see what it is really called.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
Fetch
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Fetch »

Major setback, starter does not turn freely. So, I had to dig it out and getting it rebuilt. Ordering some more parts in the meantime. Maybe another three weeks before I can try again.

Costine, let me know what oil would be light enough the clock. I have a second clock that needs work. A friend of mine works on clocks and is going to rebuild it.
Thanks,
Dan
Fetch
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Fetch »

Well, the starter was the culprit. Had it rebuilt and now the engine turns over. Waiting for some manifold gaskets then put it together this weekend.
Also, got the cigarette lighter to work.
Dan
Fetch
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Fetch »

Been working on things not roadster related, but finally got back to it.
Installed the seats, windshield frame, (need windshield), installed starter and sorted out the electrical. Fuel gauge works, wiper motor works and lights. Fixed a couple of broken wires, no blown fuses.
Put new battery on charge and tried to start the engine, no luck. After a couple of failed tries it only cranked over about three times before killing the battery. Big amp draw from the starter. When I got the starter back from the shop they stated it was obsolete, (I knew that) but worked fine.
So, I don't know. Its not pretty but, it is going back together.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fetch
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Fetch »

The Lump has earned its name.
A few things I have come across in the past couple of weeks.
Chased down the short in the turn signal switch. Found out it is 6 wire not the 5 wire switch the diagram shows and the wiring is different than the diagrams show for the lights. The wiring in the car has not been molested. I believe it came from the factory like this which is why the low miles on the car.
So, I eliminated the short, charged the battery, removed the spark plugs, hooked in the battery from my truck and tried to crank the engine over. No luck, between the tight engine and the high amps the starter draws the engine did not turn over.I need to decide what to do next.
Fetch
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Fetch »

Tore apart the original starter and found it has been molested and missing some parts, the reason it was binding. Got a starter out of a '67 1600, tore it apart, cleaned it and put it in to see if it works. Strong starter, quiet engagement and smooth. Ordered new brushes. After I install the brushes I will reassemble the engine.
Corrected the turn signal wiring, got a new flasher unit from NAPA and, for now, I have beaten the electrical gremlins. Everything works as it should.