Charging Problem

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

spark

Charging Problem

Post by spark »

I have a weird thing going on with my charging system: The ammeter never shows charging. When the park lights go on it goes a little negative, then when I flip the headlights on the ammeter wavers from almost all neg to neutral before settling about half way over to the left. The wavering also happens when I use the turn signals.
The alternator was just rebuilt and is working, I picked up a voltage regulator (in the engine compartment) from Baxter auto parts that supposedly is the right one....anybody know where/what is the correct voltage regulator?

Any help would be much appreciated, otherwise I'm destined to carry around a spare battery in the trunk!

thanks, Aaron
Ldino21
Roadster Fanatic

Charge problem

Post by Ldino21 »

Definitely make sure you have the right Voltage Regulator, if you got a friend with a roadster, just borrow it for a minute to see if thats the problem, if so order a new one from the vendors about $40.

Lou
Minh
Roadsteraholic

Post by Minh »

If your regulator is busted and original stock intergrity is not a concern...

You an replace the stock alternator and regulator with GM alternator. There nice; the regulator is built into the alternator. You only need to use one wire.

A chrome 100 amp can go for less than 50 on Ebay.
'69 1982cc SU
'74 1600cc VW Bug
http://www.311s.org/registry/1969/srl311-07837.html
When life hands you lemons, ask for TEQUILA AND SALT!
spark

Post by spark »

Thought about that, but since I just paid $ to get the alt fixed and it's putting out enough power I'm gonna go the stock voltage regulator way with a voltmeter too... I think. gah. I hate electricity. :(
Minh wrote:If your regulator is busted and original stock intergrity is not a concern...

You an replace the stock alternator and regulator with GM alternator.
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Voltmeter ect..

Post by SLOroadster »

I had issues like yours, I gave up and did a chevy 80 amp conversion with an internal voltage regulator. Its sweet and very easy to do, especially if you remount the thing to the correct side. The re-wiring is a little tricky but not that bad if you have a clue as to what you are doing.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!

Re: Voltmeter ect..

Post by Guest »

SLOroadster wrote:I had issues like yours, I gave up and did a chevy 80 amp conversion <snip>
I may do that soon.... if I can't get the thing working today....If anyone has an extra alt. mount I'll prolly be interested in buying it. I have a later motor so the alt's on the passenger side already anyways.

cheers,
Aaron
spark

Post by spark »

Yep...I give up. :? Single wire alternator it is... right after I replace that water pump that decided to let go yesterday. :shock:
Heyzeus, start driving a car that's been sitting for pretty much 1.5 yrs and all kinds of problems start popping up.
Everyone (in the US, anyways) have a safe, wonderful holiday.

cheers,
Aaron
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

gm conversion

Post by SLOroadster »

You will need to modify the lower mount of the alternator. I had to grind mine down till it was the same size as the stock one. You will also need some spacers to postion it correctly. If you need to see how its done, let me know and I will get you some pictures of how I wired it.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!