lifting body off

Place to put those little tricks or parts you used during the restoration of your roadster.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Lorna c
Site Supporter

lifting body off

Post by Lorna c »

what things have been used to lift the body off the frame that can be done at home ?
:wink:
"Is it me, or does everyone want to race ?"

late 68 1600 3 main motor .
sfdaugherty
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: lifting body off

Post by sfdaugherty »

Get at least 4 friends and you're good to go.
69 2000 SRL311-10088 (Type 4 Solexes)
68 SR20DE SPL311-18735 (SR20DE S15 Autech)
68 2000 SRL311-01179 (Restoration underway)
68 1600 SPL311-20462 SOLD! After 41 years in the family
goldbug
Roadster Fanatic

Post by goldbug »

I lifted mine w/ an engine crane.
I took a couple 1x1 square steel tubing pieces I had laying around, put them down in the trans tunnel, and wrapped a chain or strap around them, threaded up through the shifter hole. Unbolt body, lift a little. Check for entanglements, lift some more; repeat.

I also have another option: since I needed bracing in the door openings, I made a set of bars/supports that span the door opening, then added tubing that spans between each door bar (think a WIDE "H"). That's what was used to lift when loading body on a trailer, when the alkaline dipper forklifted the body from/to the trailer, and when I got it back home.
1969 SRL311 (resto project)
2013 Golf R (hers)
2014 Corvette
2015 SS (daily, Holden-mode)
pebbles

Post by pebbles »

David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."
ppeters914
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by ppeters914 »

That's a great write-up on what to do before lifting the body, David, but I think Lorna was referring to the actual lifting to separate body from frame.

The paint shop I initially took my roadster to used a length of chain that went through the gas tank inspection hole (gas tank had been removed) and wrapped around a piece of 2x4. The other end of the chain was attached to an engine hoist. Take out the slack, a couple of pumps, and voila! Rear end of car body off the fram.

In the front, I lifted while two other guys inserted long 2x4's through the front wheel wells, then supported the 2x4's on small ladders. The steps on the ladder made it easier to adjust the height.

Basically reversed the process when putting the body back on the loaner frame to get it home. Originally planned to use the Four Strong Men method to move body from loaner frame to my frame, and then I saw this from Michael in Eugene, OR:

If your garage or workspace has open beams, you can hang a couple of comealongs as a couple of DROPS members have done.
Pete
-------------------------------------
'67 1600 - frame off started in 2014. Now I know why roadster projects take so long. What a stupid idea. :smt021
'66 1600 - parts car
'66 WPL411 ***SOLD***
A couple of Porsches, a RAV4 Hybrid, and a motorcycle
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

thanks y'all ! wow this is easier than prepping the car ... no over spray there huh ... thanks guys . I like the 4 friends part haha . but that's not always available . no mess . but if that don't work . haha . NOT PAINTING THE CAR ANYTIME SOON (maybe) but is there any other reason to pull the body off ? transmission work or anything that makes sense to just do that first ? . and it's really just the 2 motor mount s basically to unscrew ? haha

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

yep more than 2motor mounts ! makes sense for electrical and cable and ......
this cars neat . I like the way you can pull it apart like this .

Kurt
Site Supporter

Post by Kurt »

I used a 4x4 with an eye screw, fitted through the tranny tunnel. Attach chains to that.

I also used the cradle referenced in the forum. I would recommend having a door removed to reach the top height. It's easier and no worries about scraping. The crane will inch closer as it goes higher.
3Car Garage.JPG
photo (5).jpg
rack_sketch_large.jpg
003.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
San Jose, CA
70 SPL311 (Pumpkin)
67 SRL311 00520 (Princess)
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Kurt wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 8:40 pm I used a 4x4 with an eye screw, fitted through the tranny tunnel. Attach chains to that.

I also used the cradle referenced in the forum. I would recommend having a door removed to reach the top height. It's easier and no worries about scraping. The crane will inch closer as it goes higher.

3Car Garage.JPG

photo (5).jpg

rack_sketch_large.jpg

003.JPG

how many roadsters do you have in that garage ?
I'd say you have lifted a few . .
I think it's a good idea to figure out where the body's going after it's lifted ,huh,. . haha I'm glad I'm asking ahead of time instead of trying to rush the answers because " it's dangling , now what do I do . " haha .
I don't like those days . . trying another way .

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

after fun with the muffler , and radiator , I think I'll take a break , when I finally get it in that is , for a bit , and do a pull the shell off frame paint job , after someone hits me again. it's summer time now . fun time ....

theunz
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by theunz »

Lorna c wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:02 am after fun with the muffler , and radiator , I think I'll take a break , when I finally get it in that is , for a bit , and do a pull the shell off frame paint job , after someone hits me again. it's summer time now . fun time ....
Now your thinking :D
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

theunz wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:12 am
Lorna c wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:02 am after fun with the muffler , and radiator , I think I'll take a break , when I finally get it in that is , for a bit , and do a pull the shell off frame paint job , after someone hits me again. it's summer time now . fun time ....
Now your thinking :D
:-) I said something right ? haha