Shame on me for my impulse buy

You can let the rest of us know about a bad or a good experience you had. Please stick to the facts and keep your emotions/feelings in check regarding shame. This is a sensitive topic and will be monitored.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Mackn367
Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Re: Shame on me for my impulse buy

Post by Mackn367 »

fj20spl311 wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:55 am I still have not seen any pictures of rust, a very solid body.

Maybe this will put things in prospective.

This Alfa sold for $6K

Those pictures make me cringe. Yup. It can always be worse. I’ll keep updating on this Roadster. I’ll be sending that letter to the bank to get the lien removed. Really hoping this registration issue gets resolved. California is terribly strict for all of these types of laws and regulations.
bobd
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by bobd »

I think everyone has stories of being duped or ripped off. It's called experience, it's how we grow.
'69 1600 with SR20DE
Mackn367
Site Supporter

Post by Mackn367 »

bobd wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:33 am I think everyone has stories of being duped or ripped off. It's called experience, it's how we grow.
Yup I completely agree
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

Here is an excellent illustration, in my opinion , of what purchasing a Roadster might entail. Note the shiny paint and price mentioned. It just takes 11/2 min of the video to see what transpired. Yet, where this owner goes from the beginning is , to me, inspirational. Love these guys.
Familiar to many but always worth reviewing. Enjoy

Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
Mackn367
Site Supporter

Post by Mackn367 »

Linda wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:11 am Here is an excellent illustration, in my opinion , of what purchasing a Roadster might entail. Note the shiny paint and price mentioned. It just takes 11/2 min of the video to see what transpired. Yet, where this owner goes from the beginning is , to me, inspirational. Love these guys.
Familiar to many but always worth reviewing. Enjoy

Linda
Oh man I saw that entire video the other day! I loved it. He is definitely multi talented in my opinion. Even the filming was great. I was thoroughly entertained throughout the entire video. Those guys need more views in my opinion. I wish I could weld. I’ve tried it in the past but my hands constantly shake so welding never became an option. But these guys are definitely inspirational. I would love to have a guy like this in my corner during this restoration process. Anyone close to Orange County, CA here?
Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

Mackn367 wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:11 am Oh man that story makes me feel better but also upset for you that you had to go through all of that. I’ve definitely learned a lot from all of this. And I will do my best to still get this car up and running and enjoy it as it should be enjoyed :)
Nothing to be upset for me. Here is the restored frame. Next the body.
IMG_1974[1].JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
66 stroker, almost done.
67 basket case, paint coming soon.
Mackn367
Site Supporter

Post by Mackn367 »

Alright guys time for an update!

So Roadsterwerx have responded to my issue about the car still having a lien on it. They claimed they were unaware of this but would contact the bank and get it resolved. Long story short they stated there is no longer a lien on the car and the bank will be mailing me a notorized letter stating this is in fact true. Still waiting for the letter. Once I receive the letter I am planning on registering the car, installing the new parts i purchased, get it up and in a running condition and then I'm looking to sell it. I will be asking $4,000 OBO (which is less than what i paid and that's without the new parts and in running condition but i feel like that is how it should have been sold). So that will conclude this car... now on to the next exciting news!!!

I BOUGHT ANOTHER ROADSTER!!!! Yesterday I flew to Oakland and bought the one that was up for sale on this 311s site. I bought it from Duncan (username: acuboy). It is a 1967.5 1600 low windshield. I drove it all the way back from Oakland to Orange County and made it with no issues at all! I am extremely happy with the purchase and Duncan was great too. I am planning on taking it to Solvang this year so hopefully I'll see you guys there.

Thank you to everyone here who supported me and/or gave me advice along the way. I am very excited to be apart of this awesome Roadster family :)

The best to you all,

- Nicholas
bakerjf
Site Supporter

Post by bakerjf »

Nice!
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)
AC77
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by AC77 »

A solid buy. Congrats :)
Adam C
1967 Datsun Roadster 1600, "Ivy" Registry | Photos
--
1964.5 Ford Mustang Coupe
1972 Chevy Luv
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

A driver beats a project any day!
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

Great Purchase, a lot of love has gone into that car!
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
Alvin
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by Alvin »

Great news!
This whole story is strangely similar to my path of roadster ownership. We even ended up with black, 67.5 SPLs! :D
Enjoy The Ride
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
2mAn
Roadsteraholic

Post by 2mAn »

oh damn! plot twist!!!
Simon
Current Cars:
-1999 Porsche 911 4/98-build, 3.8L M96
GeoffM
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by GeoffM »

Great news!
Geoff
1969 SPL-311
Mackn367
Site Supporter

Post by Mackn367 »

Update:

So i received the notorized letter from the bank yesterday showing there is no longer a lien on the '68 1600. I have an appointment at the DMV on 04/17 to get it registered and then once completed I will put the car up for sale here and Craigslist. I will be completely transparent about the vehicle on the posts. I will also answer any question(s) you have for me, and if I'm not sure what the answer is, I will take as many pictures as you guys need to hopefully help answer the question(s). I decided not to get it up and running. I am devoting all of my time/energy/resources to my other '67.5 one.

Even though the car is not running i think i am just going to register it as a normal car and not as a PNO vehicle. Why? Because I think this actually would be a good project car and i dont want to see it become a scrapper. However I do know it is still possible, but either way at least it will be ready for the streets legally. I am already planning on losing quite a bit of money from this but I have always tried to look at the positive in my life so this is no different. So here is my pro and con to buying the '68 (sorry if this seems cheesy but I figured why not :))

Pro
- I found this forum which has been full of extremely helpful and kind people to turn to here before I make a Roadster decision
- I am able to sell the '68 at a fair and honest price
- I have learned which vendor I will never do business with and that is mainly including their Ebay account *cough roadsterwerx cough cough* haha sorry
- This whole buying experience led me on a path to the '67.5 that I absolutely love!
- I can say I've owned 2 Roadsters at once haha. Yeah that's a pro!
- I know there are more but i'm sure you are bored so on to con

Con
- I overpaid for a car and now have to put it up for sale and lose quite a bit of money
- I wasted time with the registration issue
- I now might have an awkward encounter at Solvang if I see the seller. (Really hoping that doesn't happen. Just looking to have a good time and not get into any confrontations - i'm sure he feels the same)

Ok that's pretty much it. Back to work. Have a good day all!