filler on hood

Place to put those little tricks or parts you used during the restoration of your roadster.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Lorna c
Site Supporter

filler on hood

Post by Lorna c »

ok been prepping rumble (again) to paint .
I had some tool marks up on the hood right down the seam down the middle . I know . anyway I've tried several fillers and all seem to crack from the flex of the hood ? anyway I got a bit discouraged one day and literally put on epoxy . now I've gotten it mostly shaped now but my question is ,
will this shrink or anything , or has anyone ever used straight epoxy as a filler ? I'm hoping it'll last but before I finished prep and paint , I thought I'd ask .. is there any for seen problems with using this stuff ?? I've tried a few different fillers and slamming the lid soooooooo many times this last year keeps breaking them up . this seems to be holding still . 2 weeks now . when others have failed .
:wink:
"Is it me, or does everyone want to race ?"

late 68 1600 3 main motor .
pebbles
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: filler on hood

Post by pebbles »

Yes, no, yes, yes, no, no, no.
David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

ok great , thank you ! :D

:smt021 funny boy

C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by C.Costine »

Lorna c wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:15 pm ok been prepping rumble (again) to paint .
I had some tool marks up on the hood right down the seam down the middle . I know . anyway I've tried several fillers and all seem to crack from the flex of the hood ? anyway I got a bit discouraged one day and literally put on epoxy . now I've gotten it mostly shaped now but my question is ,
will this shrink or anything , or has anyone ever used straight epoxy as a filler ? I'm hoping it'll last but before I finished prep and paint , I thought I'd ask .. is there any for seen problems with using this stuff ?? I've tried a few different fillers and slamming the lid soooooooo many times this last year keeps breaking them up . this seems to be holding still . 2 weeks now . when others have failed .
I used epoxy as a filler once. It was on the advice of the powder coating shop. I was getting a part coated that needed some repair first, and they told me to use epoxy because it would stand up to the heat of melting the powder on. I don't remember what part unfortunately, but I am pretty sure that it was for one of my antique tractors that gets a fair amount of use. If so it has held up well. The reason that it is not generally used for filler is, as you have probably noticed, it is HARD, and resists sanding. I would say that you will should no worries about it, provided that the surface under it was prepped well and there is no rust.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
greydog
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by greydog »

Used to use 30 minute devcon epoxy mixed with microballoons for rc airplane wing and tail fillets. Worked well but once set its haard to feather.
Good bocy filler is used correctly should be fine. If your hood is flexing that much when closing, perhaps new hood bumpers are in order.
Dan
S
SPL311 aka Skooter. Sold. Now wasting away in the SF area.
1990 Nissan 300zx. Sold this one too.
2018 VW Tiguan
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

greydog wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:55 pm Used to use 30 minute devcon epoxy mixed with microballoons for rc airplane wing and tail fillets. Worked well but once set its haard to feather.
Good bocy filler is used correctly should be fine. If your hood is flexing that much when closing, perhaps new hood bumpers are in order.
Dan
S
there's hood bumpers ?

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

C.Costine wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:09 am
Lorna c wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:15 pm ok been prepping rumble (again) to paint .
I used epoxy as a filler once. It was on the advice of the powder coating shop. I was getting a part coated that needed some repair first, and they told me to use epoxy because it would stand up to the heat of melting the powder on. I don't remember what part unfortunately, but I am pretty sure that it was for one of my antique tractors that gets a fair amount of use. If so it has held up well. The reason that it is not generally used for filler is, as you have probably noticed, it is HARD, and resists sanding. I would say that you will should no worries about it, provided that the surface under it was prepped well and there is no rust.
awesome ! thx

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

yes it can be harder to sand but well worth if it holds .. oh good . this should hold then . just a good wash and he's ready for paint !

greydog
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by greydog »

The hood should have 2 round rubber bumpers about 1" diameter. One in each corner at the windshield end. Each is held to the hood with a screw.
There are also r wedge shaped cushions, 2 on each side in tje hood gutter where the fender mount screws are.
All work to support thd hood so it doesnt vibrate as you drive.
Dan
SPL311 aka Skooter. Sold. Now wasting away in the SF area.
1990 Nissan 300zx. Sold this one too.
2018 VW Tiguan
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

greydog wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:08 pm The hood should have 2 round rubber bumpers about 1" diameter. One in each corner at the windshield end. Each is held to the hood with a screw.
There are also r wedge shaped cushions, 2 on each side in tje hood gutter where the fender mount screws are.
All work to support thd hood so it doesnt vibrate as you drive.
Dan
ok . well it will again then ! thanks much .