Routing air to the brakes

For the racers out there!

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

2mAn
Roadsteraholic

Routing air to the brakes

Post by 2mAn »

I have enough leftover High Temp 3" ducting that I intend to use to route air to the front brake rotors. On the front end, I will use the BRE style air dam and make the ducting functional, but on the other end Im wondering what you guys have done on the rotor side. With my E30, I found some custom made dust shields that had a mounting point for the 3" hose. This made it very easy and very functional, so Im hoping there is a similar solution here.

Any pics Alvin? haha
Simon
Current Cars:
-1999 Porsche 911 4/98-build, 3.8L M96
Alvin
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Re: Routing air to the brakes

Post by Alvin »

Simon here are a few pics

Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
2mAn
Roadsteraholic

Post by 2mAn »

Alvin wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:19 pm Simon here are a few pics
Never fails! You're awesome. Thank you.

The backside is where the magic is, I will have to explore a little more. It helps that my car is on jackstands right now :lol:

Heres the backing plate I bought and I sourced the ducting from amazon

https://www.condorspeedshop.com/collect ... 3315850433

Does anyone have some dust shields they dont need?
Simon
Current Cars:
RCMike
Roadsteraholic

Post by RCMike »

Do you have solid rotors? Or vented?
2mAn
Roadsteraholic

Post by 2mAn »

RCMike wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:25 pm Do you have solid rotors? Or vented?
Stock solid rotors right now, eventually I will want to upgrade to vented rotors
Simon
Current Cars:
Mike Unger
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Mike Unger »

Simon,
For vented rotors you can feed the air to the back center of the rotor and the rotor will pump the air and cool both sides. For solid rotors you need to use a can to get some of the air to the outside of the rotor so there is even cooling. Here's a picture of my vintage Z car with solid rotors and the can. On this car that is very hard on brakes one hose cools the inboard and the other the outboard side.

If your car is for SCCA you need to use the stock solid rotors if 1600 but can use vented rotors for 2000. Either car can upgrade to Z car calipers.

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Unger
2mAn
Roadsteraholic

Post by 2mAn »

Mike thats some serious air being pushed to the rotors! Do you know if vented rotors are legal for VARA? Im sure if its SCCA legal, than VARA would also allow it. Mines a 2000. Ive heard about the Z rotor/ caliper setup, but dont know the specifics and whether or not its even legal for VARA or any vintage racing for that matter. Looks like you have Ground Control coilovers up front too and Im not sure if those are also legal.
Simon
Current Cars:
Mike Unger
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Mike Unger »

Simon,

For vintage you should be using the solid rotors. Alternate brakes weren't allowed on the Datsun 2000 in SCCA until 1980. Most vintage sanctioning bodies use a cutoff of around 1972 for Production cars. Some are starting to let later prepped cars run but they will be moved into different classes or run groups. I race my vintage 2000 with solid rotors, it does fine. The picture is my vintage 240Z and it has stock brakes (correct for 1972 C Production). It's a fast, fairly heavy car and needs the cooling. Coil overs are allowed for the Z cars in vintage as they are period correct for the cars with struts. The roadster needs to have it's stock based suspension without coil overs to be period correct for vintage. Hope this helps.

Mike
Mike Unger
2mAn
Roadsteraholic

Post by 2mAn »

It absolutely does! Thank you so much.
Simon
Current Cars:
RCMike
Roadsteraholic

Post by RCMike »

Just FYI, I have not appeared before the competition committee yet, but they are "threatening" to make me run IMSA GTU class with my roadster.. Don't threaten me with a good time..lol

When we put the race motor in and put some serious tires on and this car has 70 more hp, I won't just walk away from the Corvettes...lol
2mAn
Roadsteraholic

Post by 2mAn »

RCMike wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:23 pm Just FYI, I have not appeared before the competition committee yet, but they are "threatening" to make me run IMSA GTU class with my roadster.. Don't threaten me with a good time..lol

When we put the race motor in and put some serious tires on and this car has 70 more hp, I won't just walk away from the Corvettes...lol
Im really looking forward to all of this!

BTW PM me if you have any 4.11 diffs you want to sell. Im sure you have a spare here or there
Simon
Current Cars: