Near diisaster. Now I need some parts.

You can let the rest of us know about a bad or a good experience you had. Please stick to the facts and keep your emotions/feelings in check regarding shame. This is a sensitive topic and will be monitored.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

greydog
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Near diisaster. Now I need some parts.

Post by greydog »

A couple weeks ago, my wife of 40+ years drove her '69 1600 to her hair dresser.
On the way home, at about 40 mph on 162 Street in east Vancouver, her drivers side rear wheel parted company with the car.
Luckily, she drove school bus for years and is an excellent driver so she kept her head, kept the car straight and brought the car to a stop on three wheels and a backing plate.
Cut a 60' long groove up the street and ground that backing plate down pretty well but other wise I'm surprised at how little damage there is.
We found most of the partts, brake shoes, drum, a spring but the 14" polished Libre wheel and tire are mia. Probably buried in the brush that lines both sides of the road. It may turn up but I'm not betting on it.
I'm going to need a backing plate, upper an lower spring and brake shoes to get the car on the road. I think the chances of finding a polished 14" AR Libre wheel are slim to none so will have to figure out somthing different to do there. I still have the stock 14" wheels and hubcaps so those may get cleaned up and go on. It looks like I have to pull the axle to get the backing plate off so I'll probably replace the bearing and seal "while I'm in there".
New brake shoes will be in order as well.
If any of you have a late model drivers side backing plate and springs, drop me a PM aznd let me know what you need for them. While I'm at it, if you have a single 14" or even a pair of 14 x 5.5 AR Libre's, let me know what you need for those as well.

Luckily, no one was hurt, no other cars were damaged and the car damage is minimal. She did a great job of staying calm and turning what could have been a real disaster into just a scary memory.

Dan
""
SPL311 aka Skooter. Sold. Now wasting away in the SF area.
1990 Nissan 300zx. Sold this one too.
2018 VW Tiguan
2mAn
Roadsteraholic

Re: Near diisaster. Now I need some parts.

Post by 2mAn »

I had that happen to me once. Quite the experience seeing the wheel roll past you hahah

You should be able to find that wheel if you spend some time looking for it!

Glad it wasnt worse
Simon
Current Cars:
-1999 Porsche 911 4/98-build, 3.8L M96
greydog

Post by greydog »

Thanks Simon. She drives the hell out of that car so when it came off, it was doing at least 40. There's a median planter in the middle of the road and it's 4 lanes. I don't think the wheel hit any of the oncoming traffic as no one griped and it would have caused some damage. In some places, the brush is do dense I could't force my way through.
We'd walked the road for a 1/4 mile in each direction, both sides and found nothing. There are a couple houses along there an no one found it in their yard. I suppose someone could stop, toss it in their pickup and move on in about 20 seconds but I think most people's first reaction is to help so I don't think that's it. I'm guessing it's comfortable in a nice stand of poison oak.
Dan
2018 VW Tiguan
GeoffM

Post by GeoffM »

Good to see no one was hurt and minimal damage.
Did you figure out root cause?
Geoff
1969 SPL-311
greydog

Post by greydog »

I'm pretty sure it's my fault.
I'd replaced a wheel cylinder on that wheel. My typical practice is to put the wheels on, put the lug nuts on finger tight and block the bottom of the wheel to tighten them further with a 4 way.
I don't remember checking them once the car was on the ground and my neighbor's 7 year old was standing in the open garage door talking while I was letting the car down. I was watching him and distracted, not thinking about the job so it's likely that it was my carelessness.
Too big of a coincidence to be anything else.
Dan
2018 VW Tiguan
Roman
Site Supporter

Post by Roman »

Damn! That's a lucky break. Got off easy with minimal damage.

I wasn't so lucky. Had a 67.5 almost done needing only paint, losing a rear driver wheel.

On the freeway @70 Mph.

Driver next to me panicked as he saw a random wheel and tire coming. He swerved and clipped me sending me into a spin. What seemed like an hour of spinning ended up with me ass backwards in the center divider. Every body part except the doors was severly damaged. At least I had a protective force field around the cockpit. :)

He drove home with some dents, I went home on a .flatbed.
Gave up on that car and parted it out.
Lucky to be alive!
:D

So for you, some parts, and you'll be back on the road.

Btw, my root cause was not doing a re torque. One by one, the lug nuts came off. Learned my lesson for sure.
Will trade guitars for roadsters, food, shelter, clothes, etc, etc.
mraitch
Roadsteraholic

Post by mraitch »

TWO instances in under two weeks.

Glad that wifey is fine.

Don't have any parts for you, but wish the best.

Pete
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

Not much help at this point, but I always use a torque wrench on the wheel lugs as the last step in any wheel off repair. I don't bring out the torque wrench until the wheels are on the ground - so I know that it should be the last thing I get, check, and the last tool I put away. On cars with wheel caps, or centers, I do not put them on until the Torque wrench has been used. I only use a TW so that I don't have to remember if I tightened it in any other way - cause even if I did, it didn't happen until I torque them. (Kind of like pictures here!). Now, ask me why I have developed this discipline - and I might have a similar story......
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

So lucky. Your wife is clearly excellent driver.

My sister rolled a black 66 when she was 19. Guy bumped her rear quarter on the freeway, went off the road, up the embankment, rolled over. Amazing she lived, but equally amazing, not even a broken bone. Car was totaled. Lucky Lucky Lucky. Sounds like it was skill in your wifes case. She should be congratulated// j
LT/JT
https://www.datsunrestorationproducts.com/
Only the very BEST parts for your Datsun- 10000's of items in stock
New, Used and Reproduction!
greydog

Post by greydog »

Thanks Guys. Yes, she's a good driver. I think her experience, coupled with her love of speed that saved both of us.
Dan
2018 VW Tiguan
Roman
Site Supporter

Post by Roman »

I had a thought. If the wheel is buried in the brush and you cant find it, probably no one else will either.

I'd keep on checking back. Who knows, maybe in the fall when the brush diminishes, it will be there.

I dunno. Id keep checking.
Will trade guitars for roadsters, food, shelter, clothes, etc, etc.
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

Any tips for how to handle the car in case something like that happened?
No brakes, keep it straight?

Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

About 4 yrs ago the same thing happened to Kim, Damn it Bill's wife, on the way to Shasta. We had just come off a very hard, twisty road drive and got on the freeway when we noticed a couple things come flying off... they were the lug nuts, quickly followed by the passenger rear tire. Kim too did a GREAT job not panicking and was able to drive the car to the side of the road. Similar damage, along with some body damage too, but we were able to retrieve the wheel and drive the car to Shasta. Amazingly that wheel crossed two lanes going forward, across two oncoming lanes and into the bushes without hitting any cars... it went a very long distance. Had that wheel come off during our hard driving, it is likely that we could have lost a dear friend that day. These were the Nissan Iron cross wheels, and they did not have the correct pitch lug nuts on them... close, but not correct. Since that time, I have checked torque on the wheels on a regular basis, especially prior to a long and likely hard drive. So thankful that nobody was hurt in all posted cases.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
AidanDawn2000
Roadsteraholic

Post by AidanDawn2000 »

Gregs672000 wrote:About 4 yrs ago the same thing happened to Kim, Damn it Bill's wife, on the way to Shasta. We had just come off a very hard, twisty road drive and got on the freeway when we noticed a couple things come flying off... they were the lug nuts, quickly followed by the passenger rear tire. Kim too did a GREAT job not panicking and was able to drive the car to the side of the road. Similar damage, along with some body damage too, but we were able to retrieve the wheel and drive the car to Shasta. Amazingly that wheel crossed two lanes going forward, across two oncoming lanes and into the bushes without hitting any cars... it went a very long distance. Had that wheel come off during our hard driving, it is likely that we could have lost a dear friend that day. These were the Nissan Iron cross wheels, and they did not have the correct pitch lug nuts on them... close, but not correct. Since that time, I have checked torque on the wheels on a regular basis, especially prior to a long and likely hard drive. So thankful that nobody was hurt in all posted cases.

He just told me that story up at Shasta! Incredible the friction wouldn't spin the car at such high speeds but he said you guys had the car up and driving before he knew what happened! :lol:
Oil a little low? Time to get a longer dipstick:)
Instagram!!!
1968 2000 SRL311-05110 (first car! Rust Bucket. Sold :( )
1969 2000 SRL311-10440 (matching numbers, Solex!)
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

I'm going to check my wheels tomorrow :shock:

Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.