paint effects

Place to put those little tricks or parts you used during the restoration of your roadster.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

ed B
Roadster Fanatic

paint effects

Post by ed B »

I have a 69 with the narrow vertical radio console. The original metal surround was scratched and rusted. I sanded, primed and then repainted in flat black.
However I can't seem to recreate the original paint effect texture. I was like a micro ball peen hammer effect, with consistent and fine dimples.
Has anyone ran across this or successfully recreated the effect?
1969 1600
bakerjf
Site Supporter

Re: paint effects

Post by bakerjf »

I used wrinkle paint on the speaker box and it looks very close to OEM. The radio panel is a similar sort of finish.
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

The original was a wrinkle finish. You are describing a hammered finish. That is what would be on the seat belt buckle
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
kenw
Roadster Fanatic

Post by kenw »

Different year and application, but I had my 67 dash powder coated and the finish is very similar to the original.
Ken Williams
'67 1600
Janesville, WI
ed B
Roadster Fanatic

Post by ed B »

Thanks all. Mine is definitely a hammered effect as opposed to a wrinkle finish. However since the original was a wrinkle effect does anyone have a supplier and or brand for this effect. I went to my locals stores and saw ma y effects but no wrinkle finish spray paints.
1969 1600
bakerjf
Site Supporter

Post by bakerjf »

I bought mine at the local Pep Boys. It's usually a high-temp application-deal for valve covers and such. I'm sure you can get it via Amazon or eBay if you cannot get it locally. I did notice when I used it that it is somewhat sensitive to outside air temperature. It wrinkles as it dries - too cool and it sets up without much of a wrinkle look...the warmer the air, the more of a wrinkle effect.
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)
ed B
Roadster Fanatic

Post by ed B »

bakerjf wrote:I bought mine at the local Pep Boys. It's usually a high-temp application-deal for valve covers and such. I'm sure you can get it via Amazon or eBay if you cannot get it locally. I did notice when I used it that it is somewhat sensitive to outside air temperature. It wrinkles as it dries - too cool and it sets up without much of a wrinkle look...the warmer the air, the more of a wrinkle effect.
Thanks good info to know. II was Just At Pep Boys last night, and did not see it. Could be I just missed it - happens. I can try amazon. By any chance do you have the brand or title/item number? Thanks again
1969 1600
bakerjf
Site Supporter

Post by bakerjf »

ed B wrote:
bakerjf wrote:I bought mine at the local Pep Boys. It's usually a high-temp application-deal for valve covers and such. I'm sure you can get it via Amazon or eBay if you cannot get it locally. I did notice when I used it that it is somewhat sensitive to outside air temperature. It wrinkles as it dries - too cool and it sets up without much of a wrinkle look...the warmer the air, the more of a wrinkle effect.
Thanks good info to know. II was Just At Pep Boys last night, and did not see it. Could be I just missed it - happens. I can try amazon. By any chance do you have the brand or title/item number? Thanks again
I sure don't - did that job about 3-4 years ago and my ROM is limited. I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't grouped with the other rattle-cans since it's a special deal.
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)
ed B
Roadster Fanatic

Post by ed B »

bakerjf wrote:
ed B wrote:
I sure don't - did that job about 3-4 years ago and my ROM is limited. I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't grouped
with the other rattle-cans since it's a special deal.
I found out the brand is VHT. I called my pep boys and they are supposed to carry it, but don't have it. I'll try another auto store.
BTW how is El Segundo? My brother worked there many years ago (at least 30 years) for Hughes aircraft and lived in Hawthorne.
1969 1600
Zogster
Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Zogster »

I had good luck with high heat barbecue paint on mine. Very close to the original.
Zogster
Anchorage, AK

'68 SPL311 1600
bakerjf
Site Supporter

Post by bakerjf »

ed B wrote:
bakerjf wrote:
ed B wrote:
I sure don't - did that job about 3-4 years ago and my ROM is limited. I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't grouped
with the other rattle-cans since it's a special deal.
I found out the brand is VHT. I called my pep boys and they are supposed to carry it, but don't have it. I'll try another auto store.
BTW how is El Segundo? My brother worked there many years ago (at least 30 years) for Hughes aircraft and lived in Hawthorne.
"VHT" sounds right! El Segundo is a magical place nestled on three sides by LAX, an oil refinery, and water waste treatment plant. Seriously, it's referred to as "Mayberry" in LA because, believe it or not, it has a very small town feel. It's the former home of BRE, and current home of John Morton who happens to be the next door neighbor of my wife's best friend (yes, name drop).
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

Keep in mind that wrinkle finish paint tends to smell bad for quite a while at least that's my experience.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
ed B
Roadster Fanatic

Post by ed B »

Zogster wrote:I had good luck with high heat barbecue paint on mine. Very close to the original.
Thanks. Coincidentially that is the flat black I originally tried. It was fine were there was still texture underneath left, but in areas where I had to sand all the originally texture off (to get rid of the rust and scratches) there was no texture afterwards.

I just painted it about an hour ago, still not texture effect at this time. The can said to spray at least 3 coats in varying directions (vertically horizontally and diagonally, 5 minutes apart).
1969 1600
ed B
Roadster Fanatic

Post by ed B »

Gregs672000 wrote:Keep in mind that wrinkle finish paint tends to smell bad for quite a while at least that's my experience.
The directions on the can said to put it in the oven at 200 degrees for an hour! I'm not sure if that is necessary or not, but that what it said...

I need to have it really well cured before I tape it off to paint the silver edges (don't want to lift off the black paint when I remove the masking tape).
1969 1600
bakerjf
Site Supporter

Post by bakerjf »

I didn't bake mine, but I remember it was a warmer day when I did it. Maybe a space heater, or hairdryer?
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)